Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Reviews

Subject: BioShip Analysis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
I received my two BioShips in the mail the other day and I have to tell you I was excited to try them. After half a dozen games yesterday, I'd like to share my findings and open them up to discussion.

The BioShip Alpha is quite impressive, with a 6 attack it has enough firepower that it can't be ignored and packs a punch. I must say I am a fan of the ship's passive ability to put an auxiliary power token on any ship to hit for at least 3 damage. This is either going to cause action denial for your opponent (which is huge) or you're going to have a better idea where he's moving next turn as he needs a green maneuver to clear the token.

Yesterday I hit my opponent's DS9 with this attack and placed an auxiliary token on it which the station couldn't get rid of, making most of the over 30 points of cards on it useless. I believe this was a valid play because I think the station is considered a ship. Please comment.

The rest of the ship's stats are just as impressive. 2 agility for a ship this size is very nice and having 5 hull and 6 shields means it can take a beating before being in real danger. The action bar has two items that are note worthy, the first being no access to battle stations (the independent flagship can correct this) and the second in the Regenerate ability. This is a game changer. Other factions have the ability to repair hull or shields, but have to pay for it then use up a crew or tech slot. The BioShip has it built in. Last night a friend and I were taking on the Scimitar and we would do an attack run then withdraw to repair, me with Regenerate and he with Kyle on the Excelsior. Very impressive.

Now in terms of captains and equipment, I have mixed feelings. The BioShip Alpha Pilot is worth the points, first for elite talent and more importantly because of his telepathic ability to look at an opponents maneuver dial at range one. This is huge when navigating the point blank strafing and needing to know if its better to go left or right.

The Energy Blast card I find to be a waste of points (as are most torpedoes if you don't have a rear firing arc). The attack gives you 5 attack plus 2 more when fired from a BioShip, which is the same amount as the BioShip with a Flagship card. Likewise I haven't found much use for the Energy Focusing Ship. It gives you 6 attack plus 2 for each other friendly ships in range one. The downside is that all the other friendly ships can't attack and they all get auxiliary power tokens. This means in a 100 point 2 ship build, I'm going to get 8 attack, all my ships are now stressed and the card is discarded. For the 10 points the card costs, I rather spend it on a Flagship card.

I like the Biological Attack as it makes bumping a risky strategy for your opponent. The card does 1 crit (bypassing shields) and disables one crew on the opponents ship, irregardless of who bumped whom. Well worth the 5 points.

I can't overstate the shear awesomeness of Quantum Singularity. The ability to remove your ship from the board before the firing phase and return it somewhere else on the board during the end phase is simply amazing. Need to escape and regenerate, done. Need to get behind the 4th Division Battleship, you're already there. Awesome! Even better is the fact that the card is not unique, Hit and Runs have never been easier. It should be noted that certain missions can no longer be won by your opponent. Need to get to the planet, scan it and get back off you starting edge? Warp there, scan it for free with your Flagship card and warp back out. 2 turns, game won, no firing phases. Wanna play again?

Since this review is getting rather long, I'll touch briefly on the last 3 cards. Bio-Electric Interference get rid of tokens on all other ships with range 1-3. Excellent to bring those pesky Klingons out of cloak or break all those target locks on you. Be careful though because it will effect your other friendly ships as well. Extraordinary Immune Response adds defense dice the more you're damaged, which will buy you time to escape and regenerate. It's not unique and has gone into all of my builds. The last card is the unique elite talent The Weak Will Perish. The card allows you to re-roll you primary weapon attack up to 2 times and is excellent for those times when you have to make that attack play off.

In conclusion, I find the BioShip to be a very viable threat, bringing some unique abilities to the table that is definitely going to force you opponent to rethink his strategies. Though not quite dreadnought class, a pair of them can be deadly and I find this to be a most excellent and playable option for Species 8472's first (and so far only) ship. Good hunting.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the FAQ a station removes an aux token at the end of each turn in the clean up phase.

Great write up!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barthonis Giantslayer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I see you've been playing scenarios it seems, but have you played any games against the new must hate enemy....the Borg? I'd be interested in how you faired against them, since thematically them are the nemesis of Species 8472.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
I have a game set up for Saturday and my Borg Sphere just arrived today, so I'll be trying it then and I will post results afterwards. First impressions, I'm not sure that Species 8472 will have the Borg running scared like they were in the show. I'm going to try using the BioShip Alpha's ability to give auxiliary power tokens, since the Borg can only clear them by going forward (no banks or turns). Combine this with the Flagship and Immune Response, I'm hoping to dodge most of the incoming fire. Combined with Bio-Electric Interference to clear the Tractor token, I think this is my best strategy. Any advice will be appreciated. So on Saturday I'm hoping to answer the age old question: Is resistance actually futile?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smith8472 wrote:
I have a game set up for Saturday and my Borg Sphere just arrived today, so I'll be trying it then and I will post results afterwards. First impressions, I'm not sure that Species 8472 will have the Borg running scared like they were in the show. I'm going to try using the BioShip Alpha's ability to give auxiliary power tokens, since the Borg can only clear them by going forward (no banks or turns). Combine this with the Flagship and Immune Response, I'm hoping to dodge most of the incoming fire. Combined with Bio-Electric Interference to clear the Tractor token, I think this is my best strategy. Any advice will be appreciated. So on Saturday I'm hoping to answer the age old question: Is resistance actually futile?


you WILL like playing the Borg. It has Nathan written all over it.

DANVAN
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
My gaming group tried two games on Saturday, both of which included the Borg. I didn't use the Sphere myself, I prefer my BioShips, but I have a couple of observations. The two scenarios we play were "Destroy the Scimitar" and "Patrol the Badlands". In the Scimitar game, the Borg player had a bit of an issue because he kept forgetting which way his Sphere was pointing (it's just a big ball, right) and he flew in some unexpected (and hilarious) directions.

However in the Badlands game, it became apparent how limiting the Borg movement was. In the center of the map is a planet with high gravity with 12 plasma storms throughout the system, additionally one of our opponents was Romulan and dropped mines in between the two choke points between the plant and the side of the board. For the Borg to bypass any obstacle, it takes 2 turns because of their linear movement. They can't bank or turn like the rest of us. The down side was that he didn't have to avoid them with the excessive hit points. Hugging the board edge, he just waded through everything and forced incoming ships to break off attack before they flew off the edge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is one thing with the Borg - in a area denial scenario you want to find a nice safe bottle neck between hazards, and oscillate menacingly back and forth while everyone else has to fly through mess to get to you.

I agree that moving around stationary obstacles that are directly in your path (when playing the Borg) takes a separate move to displace yourself to the left or right before moving on - which doesn't lend itself to scenarios where you need to run and obstacle course quickly. They make much better helicopters gunships than jet fighters, if you take my meaning.

I have had a few spin maneuver fails, as I forgot to check the forward facing of the cube before selecting my maneuver, but I look for the white dot on the stand template now, to make sure of my bearings before I commit.

I haven't tried the bioship yet - but they look interesting, I am hoping to see some more in the Collective blind-buy stuff, since there doesn't seem to be any more bioships coming in the next few waves (not that the series had a bunch of different bioships...).

DANVAN

-edit my autocorrect changed "bioship" to "Bishop" - had to fix that. (twice!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smith8472 wrote:

The BioShip Alpha is quite impressive, with a 6 attack it has enough firepower that it can't be ignored and packs a punch. I must say I am a fan of the ship's passive ability to put an auxiliary power token on any ship to hit for at least 3 damage. This is either going to cause action denial for your opponent (which is huge) or you're going to have a better idea where he's moving next turn as he needs a green maneuver to clear the token.


This might be a question for the FAQ, but perhaps you know the answer...

The wording of the special ability is "if you inflict 3 damage".

Does that mean just hull, or shields too? At first reading I thought it was just hull...but now I'm leaning towards any three hits...even if shields or ablative armor soak them up.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Smith8472 wrote:

The BioShip Alpha is quite impressive, with a 6 attack it has enough firepower that it can't be ignored and packs a punch. I must say I am a fan of the ship's passive ability to put an auxiliary power token on any ship to hit for at least 3 damage. This is either going to cause action denial for your opponent (which is huge) or you're going to have a better idea where he's moving next turn as he needs a green maneuver to clear the token.


This might be a question for the FAQ, but perhaps you know the answer...

The wording of the special ability is "if you inflict 3 damage".

Does that mean just hull, or shields too? At first reading I thought it was just hull...but now I'm leaning towards any three hits...even if shields or ablative armor soak them up.

Thoughts?


We've been playing it as shields also. Only doing damage its ability versus the hull would be a serious nerf to the ship.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hernandez
msg tools
Hitting a ship is damage. The damage is cancelled by shields. If you hit the target ship with 3 or more of your six dice, it is my understanding that the target will receive an Aux token whether or not you hit the hull.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.