Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: How do you do a "I Want To Buy" on BGG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I posted a "I want to buy" thread on a game page and it got deleted, with a polite message indicating I should look in the marketplace instead. That would be fine for Puerto Rico or Paths of Glory, but I was looking for a particular squad in Heroscape, which is a subset of a package, and each package is a subset of the entry on BGG. The marketplace doesn't exactly work for finding a subset of a subset, and there doesn't appear to be a "wanted" option where I can describe what I'm looking for. I'd imagine there are people that would dig out what I'm looking for to sell it if they knew they had a buyer.

I have no problem with giving BGG its slice, but how do I go looking to purchase a "part" when the only option for parts is "want parts in trade"?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there should be a way for you to be able to post in the game forums to see if there is anyone out there interested in selling a game that they don't have posted in the marketplace.

I know I don't mess with listing things in the marketplace, but may be willing to sell if I was in the right mood and someone said 'hey you have a copy of x to sell?'

I guess you can spam everyone that owns a copy. I get that sometimes and am only slightly annoyed, until I realize that BGG isn't set up for buyers, only really sellers.

I have seen some reverse auction geeklists, don't know how well those do.

Problem with your need is, I don't think it's individually listed, is it? So, using the market place, looking at owned, or even posting a geeklist item really isn't going to get you your target audience.

Is there a way to post a request on Fortress AT?

Also, have you tried looking at guilds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

I know I don't mess with listing things in the marketplace, but may be willing to sell if I was in the right mood and someone said 'hey you have a copy of x to sell?'

Do you have a squad of Knights of Westeros you'd consider selling?

Guantanamo wrote:

Is there a way to post a request on Fortress AT?

Fortress Ameritrash is much more free-wheeling in its structure so I'll post there. Heroscapers may have a channel for it too.

Heroscape's structure here on BGG is just hosed. Their "games" are amalgams of add-on parts, each of those amalgams is an amalgam of add-on parts, each of which is an amalgam of add-on parts. So you have a game with four levels of hierarchy and BGG has selected level 2 for its base pages. I don't know anybody who talks to level 2 ("yeah, I really like Utgar's Revenge, it's the best superset of subsets in the game.") So if you're looking for a particular figure or squad you're pretty much not allowed to request it here. Screwy marketing, screwy databasing.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) Add a copy of the game to your collection
(2) Go to the status section
(3) click checkbox "want to buy"

----

Now you desire to buy game will show up in the Statistics section for the game in a field named "Users Wanting"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
(1) Add a copy of the game to your collection
(2) Go to the status section
(3) click checkbox "want to buy"

----

Now you desire to buy game will show up in the Statistics section for the game in a field named "Users Wanting"

But, that doesn't notify those that own it (even if it was it's own entry).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Yeah, but that shows that I want to buy Utgar's Revenge, which isn't what I want to buy. I can put stuff into the comments section explaining the specific piece that is within the specific piece of Utgar's Revenge, but no one is going to see that unless they're specifically in a sell-all mode.

I think CraigsList.org is the solution. Or Heroscapers or Fotress Ameritrash. This one just doesn't fit in BGG's standard operating procedure. The site done grown up and don't do the details no mo!

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done the same thing you did Sag.

I posted that I wanted to buy or trade for a particular game within that games forums.

That post was deleted.

I then did what Mike suggested. I labeled that game as wanted in both trade and sale.

Then used the find matches tool in trades to find offers. I Geek mailed every single one of them.

Then I simply went through the list of owners that had that game up for trade and Geek mailed every single of them as well.

Eventually I found a match and got what I wanted.

But it was a process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - you can't actually "ask" publicly for people who might be interested in buying (and, again, the old adage of 'everything is for sale' holds true, because I can say my copy of xyz isn't for sale, but if you're suddenly offering me $250 for it; well, it might be ..

So, you can do three things ... 1) you can create an entry in your collection for "outside the scope of BGG" and check the trade manager, and make your outside the scope a gift certificate for the amount you want, or 2) you can geekmail all the people who have it for trade (or sale) and inquire with them (and make your offer through geekmail) or 3) if you really want to push your luck, you can geekmail *every* person who owns it on the geek and inquire with them ....

What is interesting is that - I'd assume - the reason for the deletion is one of two reasons: 1) they don't want the forums overrun with WTB posts (which is nice); or 2) they want to ensure sales go through the marketplace (and BGG gets 3%) ... what breaks down is any of the three options listed above (which were suggestions in another thread of the same ilk, sometimes from admins), don't necessarily ensure that the transaction goes through the marketplace.

And, it's slightly insulting (as someone else said) that the immediate assumption is that people are circumventing the marketplace SOLELY to avoid paying the 3% (while, as you've pointed out, it's done, sometimes, just to make the request more efficiently).

Here is a link to that previous thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1147928/message-deleted-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.