Ra» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Very fun first session of Ra—even with rule mistakes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My cousin, brother, and I played our first session of Ra yesterday. Although I’ve had the game for a while, I worried that the rules would be too difficult for a group of light gamers. After one game, two things surprised all three of us. This game is both a lot of fun and (for the most part) very easy to learn. Besides 2 scoring mistakes, the game flew by.

The first epoch (round) was very quick. My brother and cousin used all of their sun tokens with three Ra spaces still unfilled; I saw this as a great opportunity to push my luck and really rack up on tiles. Unfortunately, I turned up two Ra tiles in a row, then one pharaoh tile, then another Ra tile. This ended the round, and I still had two sun tokens left (grrr…). The next two rounds were more even. Everyone took a fair number of tiles, but no one took too many risks (do you blame me?!). After only a few minutes, it seemed we mostly had the rules down (of course, I’d thoroughly read the rules ahead of time).

At the end of the final round, it was obvious that my brother had won, with my cousin in a close second. I knew the first round was bad, but I didn’t expect to come in third. However, we had a good laugh after we realized that at least one of the players had counted their sun tokens as points at the end of the game (instead of just the 5 bonus/penalty for sun tiles). Also, one player had counted their monuments at the end of every round. So, my chances of winning were doomed from the start, but I still had a blast. I’d recommend this game to anyone, and just print off a scoring sheet from here on the geek if you think the scoring seems complicated. You won’t need it for long, but it does help everyone keep everything in order. We just put our tiles right on the sheet without ever wondering where they went. Overall, I’m just glad that my fears about the difficulty of the scoring system were unwarranted. This is just a really fun game, and the only thing to fear is leaving the game on the shelf!

Oh, I didn’t record the final scores because it seemed…pointless.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.