Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Harris
United Kingdom
Surbiton
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the discussion thread for the No Ship Maths Trade for the UK Games Expo 2014.

As there seems to be quite a lot of interest in the UKGE2014 maths trade this year, I thought I would start the discussion thread early so that there was a meeting place for everyone to chat.

My plan at the moment is to create the geeklist and open for submissions at the start of next week, leave it open for two weeks and then allow a week for wantlist submissions.

In order to participate in this maths trade you or a proxy MUST be going to the convention.
The intention is that all trading will take place at the convention to avoid shipping costs.

The UK Games Expo 2014 is an annual convention showcasing historical miniatures, boardgames, role playing games, collectable card games and computer games to be held in Birmingham on the 30th May-1st June 2014.

Related Links

Dates (all times in BST):
Submissions Open: Wednesday 7th May 2014 09:00
Submissions Close: Monday 19th May 2014 22:00
Want List Submission Open: Monday 19th May 2014 22:01
Want List Close: Saturday 24th May 2014 22:00
Official Results should be posted on Monday 26th May 2014.

Meetup at UK Games Expo: tbc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bennett
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
MULE - 1983 - never surpassed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for organising once again Rob - I missed out last year due to not looking for a thread in time - this year I'll definitely be there on Saturday and I hope to be able to escape from the real world on Friday as well.

I'll be running some form of participation Memoir 44 Overlord style games on the Saturday, so I'll be easy to find (once I have more details I'll start up a thread for those interested in this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For entirely parochial reasons, would there be any possibility of a longer* window between 'Official Results Posted' and 'trade day'?

The reason I ask that is so that any trades coming from Europe to a UK proxy have chance to get here in the window.

It might not be workable or desirable, but I'll just float it ...

* longer than what - you might well ask. I was thinking of last year where - IIRC - it was a scant 5 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moira Mathieson
United Kingdom
Lichfield, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I would love to participate in this trade, just a bit concerned because I'm only attending for one day (Saturday). So how does it work because I may trade with someone who is only attending on Sunday.

Thanks for doing the trade. I'm finding Maths trades addictive!

Moira
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moirae1 wrote:
Hi all!

I would love to participate in this trade, just a bit concerned because I'm only attending for one day (Saturday). So how does it work because I may trade with someone who is only attending on Sunday.

Moira

In previous maths trades, people have had to post 'attendance' in their items - ie you say what days you're there, and you may make sure that you only bid for items you'd be able to collect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Howard
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news, thanks for organising again Rob. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally!

I am so excited!
Cannot wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harris
United Kingdom
Surbiton
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
Moirae1 wrote:
Hi all!

Moira

In previous maths trades, people have had to post 'attendance' in their items - ie you say what days you're there, and you may make sure that you only bid for items you'd be able to collect.

Hi Moira,

As Andrew says, when you post an item you will need to state which days you are planning to attend. If there is something you are particularly interested in and the trader is only coming on the Sunday, then perhaps you could arrange with a friend who is staying for the whole weekend to collect your item and pass it on to you later.
(Please note though that the onus would be on you to make this work. If a trader says that they are only available on Sunday then you will have to make any extra arrangements and if they don't work then you may have to pay the postage to make it right. The no-ship maths trade rules will be listed on the geeklist when it is created in a few days.)

It is always great to welcome newcomers to the maths trade. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are plenty of experienced maths traders here who can answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I have heard of Math Trades but I don't know much about them? Why are they called Math Trades? Is it just a straight swap or is there more to it?

Ellie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also, please let me know about Overlord. My partner and I would be really interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been waiting for this since Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rob,

thank you so much for organizing the MT again.

Really looking forward to my third UKGE MathTrade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harris
United Kingdom
Surbiton
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elliebeth wrote:
I have heard of Math Trades but I don't know much about them? Why are they called Math Trades? Is it just a straight swap or is there more to it?

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

Welcome to maths trades. They are like swaps, but you are more likely to get something you want as the maths trade program calculates chains of trades. For instance, trader A could give his game to trader B, trader B could give his game to trader C and trader C could give her game to trader A. You will only ever get a game that you have added to your wantlist.

Here are some links to information about maths trades:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555/math-trade-guide

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-tuto...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved houses 9 months ago and we just finished painting the ground floor. This made me reconfigure my games on the shelves.
I would like to sell some of my games so I was thinking if money offers will be accepted in the Math Trade.

I know there is a Bring-and-Buy at the UKGE, so I don't know if we would be breaking any rules.

If I were to sell any games this way (Math trade), I would do it via the BGG Marketplace (as I have done in the past) to make sure that BGG gets their cut.

Having said all this, I also really look forward to trade some awesome games! I'm even up for selling my brand new, untouched 18EU copy from Deep Thought Games! I have not even stuck the labels to the tokens or cut the shares.

On the other side, I am not sure any 18xx lover (apart from myself) will trade anything or even attend the UKGE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the MTs I've seen (except those in the US where they finagle the issue by means of gift certificates) LOVE cash offers!

I will say, however, that it's easier to SPEND cash than it is to get it

Cash in MTs really greases the wheels and facilitates a lot of trade loops that otherwise wouldn't happen or would be a lot shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly new to MTs butI've read up a fair bit but I don't understand how cash would work.

Is it a case of:

Player A gives Ticket to Ride to B.
B gives Settler of Catan to C.
C has Gloom plus expansions which no one wants. So C then changes is to Gloom/expansions plus 10 quid which A is happy with.

Or something else entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thraxar wrote:
I'm fairly new to MTs butI've read up a fair bit but I don't understand how cash would work.

Is it a case of:

Player A gives Ticket to Ride to B.
B gives Settler of Catan to C.
C has Gloom plus expansions which no one wants. So C then changes is to Gloom/expansions plus 10 quid which A is happy with.

Or something else entirely?

Not quite. More like:
A offers TtR
B offers Catan
C offers £20

A and B both offer trades with C (i.e. agree to "sell" for £20), B also offers a trade with A, C only offers a trade with B (i.e. agrees to "buy" for £20).

The Trade is run. The computer beeps and lights flash. The result is calculated:
A gives TtR to B
B gives Catan to C
C gives £20 to A

From C's point of view, he's bought Catan from B for £20, but he actually gives the money to A. The money is just another "node" in the great network of trades!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it's like:

There's a list of things you want
There's a list of things you have

You decide which things you have 'match' with which things you want and you tick a 'matrix'* which says something like I'd be happy to exchange:

B or C for X, and
A or D for Y, and/or
A, B, C or D for Z.

* the things you have are in columns, the things you want are in rows, and you tick 'intersections' for trades you'd be happy with.

Then the system looks for a 'pathway' which links up a series of trades to see if there's a route between say B and X involving any number of different trades and people. If there is (and if some other requirements are met according to the parameters set in the system aimed at maximising the number of trades) then you end up with some satisfactory pairing.

You don't know until the system has 'run' what - if anything - you'll get, all you can know is that if you get anything, it'll be something you 'wanted' not £5 for Caverna!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok I get it now.

So if I put in I'd be happy to "sell" my game for £20 or trade it for one of many games then there is a chance I'd get money rather than a game.

That's cool. I can see how it eases things along now and will definately put in a money value for things I'd be happy to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,

You beat me to the punch. I was going to offer a no-ship trade but am happy to go along simply as a trader this time and not as an organizer.

Looking forward to it! Thinking of stuff to offer already. Probably a copy of Here I Stand among other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harris
United Kingdom
Surbiton
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The No-Ship maths trade is underway:

Related Links
Discussion Thread: UK Games Expo 2014 No Ship Maths Trade Discussion Thread
Request Geeklist: UK Games Expo 2014 No Ship Maths Trade Request List
Trade Geeklist: UK Games Expo 2014 No Ship Maths Trade List
Want-list Generator: OLWLG

Dates (all times in BST):
Submissions Open: Wednesday 7th May 2014 09:00
Submissions Close: Monday 19th May 2014 22:00
Want List Submission Open: Monday 19th May 2014 22:01
Want List Close: Saturday 24th May 2014 22:00
Official Results should be posted on Monday 26th May 2014
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and now showing on the OLWLG. Thanks, Rob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moira Mathieson
United Kingdom
Lichfield, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I please ask how this has worked on previous years?

I first assumed it was like Rahdo showed at Essen, and the entire group of us would meet at a specific place and time and swap.
But then I wondered if actually it's easier if everyone contacts each other individually and you arrange the meets yourself?

I don't mind how it's done, I'm so looking forward to my first Expo!

Thanks meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming there is a central point and time window which will suit folks with multiple trades - even if it is somewhat chaotic! Being easily identifiable will no doubt be a help. I do not like chaotic crowded spaces at all, so I will be hovering at the perimeter wearing or holding something very visible.

Personally I'll be swapping mobile phone numbers with trading partners so that separate arrangements can be made where mutually agreeable or with someone with just a few trades or even just to say "wave your hand in the air now" we must be withing 10 yards of each other" or "this is madness, let's meet in the carpark"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.