Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Hoplite» Forums » Rules

Subject: General Questions after first solo play (Having never played a GBOH series game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
I so never know how to title a rules question and to separate them or keep them all listed together. I figure that an early post like this can be general and not specific. Also, again, I have not played a GBoH series game, so these questions may show my newbie status:

1: During the Advance after Combat:

A: Even if a unit is still adjacent to a unit that is still ENGAGED, but the unit it was involved in Shock routed, it still advances?

B: Can the unit choose to wheel AND NOT advance into BOTH hexes of a two-hex unit retreat, especially when it still has a unit in its other front hex? (Think of this as when a line of hoplites are Engaged. If one in the middle retreats, does the hoplite which was involved in Combat with it advance into BOTH hexes? Or can it wheel into the unit it is still adjacent too? Hopefully, this is clear enough.)

C: It seems VERY limited as to when a unit can wheel in Advance after Combat. True?

2: So, all hoplite phalanxes are eliminated during the Rout phase? (10.23) Really? Wow. So, I am assuming the strategy is you HAVE to try to Rally them (Only 20% chance of success) before the end of a turn?

3: For Tanagra: Do leaders count for RP as OC or FC? How about for Die Roll Modifiers (Thinking SCRT)?

4: When Routed units are attacked, you still do TQ checks. Right? So, the attacking unit might lose cohesion. However, also the attacked unit will most likely be eliminated? If not, it is a straight up roll on the SCRT? However, because the Defender is NOT shock capable, their result is halved?

5: After the initial assault, many units will be suffering severe cohesion loss. Right? Hoplite Phalanxes will not really be able then to pivot due to loss of cohesion and rout?

6: For set up, I know I can play it the way I want, but is there a standard way to set up? As in, is it traditional to follow the practice they state in the scenario book? Also, should you follow the standard practice of putting the leader with the front unit?

Think that is it for now. Thank you, anyone, for answers.

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions about which I`m fairly sure right now:

2. Really. Players can rally Hoplite Phalanxes until the end of turn in which they Rout. If not, well, they`re gone. There is a chance, however slim it may seem to be

3. In Tanagra, according to Scenario Book, both leaders are OC (for Rout Point purposes). As for Shock, please note the Charisma rating (bottom right corner of their counters, "2" rating on black square thingy). This is the Shock modifier they provide to the unit they`re stacked with. They`re OC through and through ("regular" Formation Commanders do not have Charisma Rating )

4. Yes, Routed unit can survive TQ check. It means that attacker will suffer somewhat... but because Routed unit needs only 1 hit to be eliminated (it`s TQ now is 1, as they`re Routed) - most often it`s defender that will be gone. So, You roll on TQ check. If Routed unit survives, then You roll on appropriate Shock Column. I would halve hits to the attacker *only* when attacking those units with *red* type letters on the counter. If Routed unit do not has those on it`s counter, do not halve the hits to the attacker.

5. You are right. Most often, even after breaking through the enemy line, pivoting is kind of out of question You can always turn round for 4 MPs, though

6. Scenario book gives always set up hexes for units. Nothing stops You from setting up units the way You want... There is a certain way how Ancient Greeks arrayed their battle line with right wing being a place of honor - but, well, it`s Your game Leaders can be set up with whatever the unit of the formation they belong to. How to use leaders is really a question for the players themselves and tactics they employ. Just keep watching Command Range of the leaders and You should be fine.

Hope that helps! Enjoy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1A. Yes attacking units must advance and they have their engaged markers removed (if any) when they do so.

1B. Yes the phalanx must advance with a pivot using the wheeling maneuver. Their is a nice example of this in the rules see 8.23. Note advancing units pay cohesion cots but if they would rout they get set at TQ-1 see 8.21. In this case the phalanx would keep its engaged marker see 8.18 (3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1B. On second thought reading your post again it must advance with both halves into vacated hexes if able. See start of 8.23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, see that is what I thought, but it just feels wrong. But. . . That is the rule. No? The intent? Yes?

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would note that Hoplites may be difficult to Rally but they are also pretty hard to Rout in the first place. Especially those darned Spartan 1, 2 and 3 Phalanx units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.