Subject: comparison to app rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the Android app of Elder Sign and like it a lot, but I'm a bit bored of fighting the same three GOOs. I see that there are two DLCs for it, both of which seem to add one more so doesn't seem worth it. I'd like, then, to get the board game but from what I've read it's a lot easier than the app. Is that the case? Part of the fun of the app version is how frustrating it gets, not being able to roll a darn scroll when I need one.

So, to those who have the game and the app, which do you prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board game is MUCH easier unless you either house rule it or get the expansion. I rarely break it out.

I have the app expansions for Cthulhu and Ithaqua. Cthulhu is a must have because of its challenge. Ithaqua is "Insane" difficulty and it ain't kidding! I've had it for a while and although I've made it to the very final battle a few times, I haven't managed to get the good ending that unlocks the secret character. I will pick up the final expansion eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Burns
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the app a lot. It definitely helps with bookkeeping and not allowing me to overlook potential moves. It's also wonderfully atmospheric.

I will also say that the app helped clarify how to play the game itself, as the rules (at the time) were confusing and needed a lot of clarifications. Seeing the implementation of the rules caused a lot of "a-ha" moments.

On the app I have 7 GOO's... but I have bought the 3 expansions, which I really enjoy. The expansions don't just add GOO's - they add out-of-museum experiences (in the Pacific Ocean, in Alaska, and in Egypt) as part of the campaign and can be insanely tough. The expansions also add more investigators.

The board game is easier, has an expansion and allows for play with other people along with the solo experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
I've got the Android app of Elder Sign and like it a lot, but I'm a bit bored of fighting the same three GOOs. I see that there are two DLCs for it, both of which seem to add one more so doesn't seem worth it. I'd like, then, to get the board game but from what I've read it's a lot easier than the app. Is that the case? Part of the fun of the app version is how frustrating it gets, not being able to roll a darn scroll when I need one.

So, to those who have the game and the app, which do you prefer?

The iaps for the app add way more than just new GOO's. In the physical game, the GOO's are just different doom tracks, number of signs needed to seal it, and final battle attacks. In the app, they are completely different game modes with actual objectives that add much needed variety to the game. Many people that have played these expansions wonder why in the world they have not added them to the physical game. But in this case, the app has surpassed the game it was converted from in many ways, including streamlining rules, adding an actual challenge, and giving a variety of game objectives.

Not to mention that the "cooperative" aspects of the physical game feel tacked on at best, so it really does feel more at home as a solo game, which suits the app just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I concur that the IAPs are well worth the price.

As to the tabletop version, I enjoy that a lot, too. It plays differently from the app in some key ways. The expansion is almost a necessity, as it raises the difficulty a smidge and adds some interesting new GOOs that aren't available in the app (go Abhoth!) I actually like the fact that the app and tabletop aren't the same- keeps me coming back to both, depending on my mood and how much time I have to play. I do wish the mythos cards for the tabletop were harder in general- that's the main reason the tabletop plays too easy. You can remove the easier ones, but even when you do it's nowhere near as unforgiving as the app can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the easiest GOO on the app? I keep getting my ass kicked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Yig is the easiest one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
What is the easiest GOO on the app? I keep getting my ass kicked.

I am having a hell of time with this app. I have only beat one of the ancients so far. I have come close to beating the pharaoh and the yellow one. Regardless, I love the app so much I had to get the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played about 30 games on iOS this week alone. Most of them were the Dark Pharaoh scenario, which I still have not beaten. I can get to the Black Demon about 1 out of 5 tries, but then fail. I almost had it yesterday, but I failed by one on an investigation die. However, I did find out that the Black Demon does not have the same adventure requirements each time, which is a plus.

I like both the physical game and app, but I feel the app is much more challenging. I really wish that they would add Gates of Arkham, as well as, some of the other expansions to the app though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.