Subject: Old Question - Acquire Target Lock and Dutch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an old question and I should simply remember the source but... alas I don't.

I know acquire target lock isn't the same as preforming the action acquire target lock. I'm good with that.

But can Dutch allow another pilot to acquire a target lock if they don't even have that ability (acquire a target lock) in the first place. I believe the answer is yes but I can't find any source for that.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the answer is but don't all the rebel ships have the target lock icon anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edrazpgh wrote:
I'm not sure what the answer is but don't all the rebel ships have the target lock icon anyway?

There is a damage card that blanks out your pilot's action icons, so it's at least possible. I don't know the answer either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antares CD
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not stated directly, but it is strongly implied.

From the FAQ, page 4:
Quote:
Acquiring a Target Lock
When an ability instructs you to acquire a target lock, this is different than performing an ‘acquire a target lock’ action. It is possible to acquire a target lock while stressed, and a ship can acquire a target lock multiple times during the same round. A ship can only perform one ‘acquire a target lock’ action per round.

And since the only way this happens with Rebels is if you have Damaged Sensor Array, you also have this in the FAQ on page 6 to reinforce it:
Quote:
Damaged Sensor Array
[...] A ship with Damaged Sensor Array assigned to it cannot perform the target lock action in its action bar, but may still acquire target locks through other means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to assign a target lock does not require that person to have the ability. A better example is the shuttle pilot who can pass off target locks. Those can be passed to a tie fighter if you wish. The only purpose of the action bar is to allow that ship to perform that action during the action phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
KickinAces wrote:
The ability to assign a target lock does not require that person to have the ability. A better example is the shuttle pilot who can pass off target locks. Those can be passed to a tie fighter if you wish. The only purpose of the action bar is to allow that ship to perform that action during the action phase.

Thanks KicknAces; that is what I wondered about this but the card says 'assign a blue target lock token' and isn't quite the same wording as 'acquire a target lock' and some people on other forums get unnecessarily picky about such things.

But I think AntaresCD answer
AntaresCD wrote:
[...] if you have Damaged Sensor Array, you also have this in the FAQ on page 6 to reinforce it:
Quote:
Damaged Sensor Array
[...] A ship with Damaged Sensor Array assigned to it cannot perform the target lock action in its action bar, but may still acquire target locks through other means.

Seems to answer it quite directly. Yes you can have a ship 'acquire a target lock' even if it isn't in their action bar; which I think is the main reason for the shuttle per KickinAces (and me)!

Thank you guys,

[Edited for spelling]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a minor quibble: Damaged Sensor Array doesn't remove the action from your bar, it merely prevents you from taking those actions.

I believe the FAQ entry Antares referenced clears up all possible considerations for this right now, at least as far as the official game goes. We don't necessarily have a direct answer for how it would work in some cross-faction game which would allow Dutch to pass a lock to a ship that truly doesn't have the lock action on its bar, but signs point strongly to it working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can give target locks to TIE fighters using Colonel Jendon. Why wouldn't you be able to with Dutch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
You can give target locks to TIE fighters using Colonel Jendon. Why wouldn't you be able to with Dutch?

Because giving a ship one of your blue target lock tokens =/= letting them acquire a target lock. It's an important distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One point that I knew on this, but had forgotten.

We actually have strong precedent that ships can perform things whether they're on the action bar or not. Really, this goes all the way back to Expert Handling, and more recently R7-T1 allows boosts regardless of the icon.

So we have several examples where the action may enable a way for you to do something, but it's not a requirement that you have that available.

Based on those, I think there wouldn't be any problem with Dutch allowing a friendly TIE Fighter to acquire a target lock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.