Subject: Good games to play over the phone or skype? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Hitch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
My fiancé just got an amazing job opportunity that's going to have her out-of-state for about half a year, and my job here is too good to leave behind for 6 months either (plus she'll have residency at her job, so getting a second Appartnent down there seems dumb.). Both of us are big gamers, and we're looking for something that could easily be played if only one of us can see the board (so far, the best luck we've had is with Yggdrasil. Sadly, we own all of our favorites from board game arena, so were looking for something fresh.). If anybody has any suggestions for games that can be played over the phone (it's safe to assume we can each get our own set of dice, etc.), we'd love to hear them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
RocketBlender wrote:
My fiancé just got an amazing job opportunity that's going to have her out-of-state for about half a year, and my job here is too good to leave behind for 6 months either (plus she'll have residency at her job, so getting a second Appartnent down there seems dumb.). Both of us are big gamers, and we're looking for something that could easily be played if only one of us can see the board (so far, the best luck we've had is with Yggdrasil. Sadly, we own all of our favorites from board game arena, so were looking for something fresh.). If anybody has any suggestions for games that can be played over the phone (it's safe to assume we can each get our own set of dice, etc.), we'd love to hear them!

If skype + webcams is an option, you could consider:

Sentinels of the Multiverse - CoOp, so you can just show "her" hand in the webcam. We play this way often over skype with a friend who is working abroad for a few years. Only one person needs to have the decks.

Pixel Tactics - Each player needs their own deck, but the game comes with two. Keep one deck with you, and send the other with her. Play via skype. (We have actually played via telephone. Each person needs a copy of the game / 2 decks for that. "I play Knight into position V1". Kinda like mail chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are often apart and play over Skype all the time. Neither of us are fond of VASSAL, so this is the best solution for us.

If you don't mind the investment, LCGs work very well. Our most frequently played game is A Game of Thrones: The Card Game, which works well because one person can take two or three complete sets of house cards and build decks with them on their own time (when we're together we draft the neutral cards). The game is VERY confrontational, though, and sometimes mean, so it is not always the best "couples" game. (It helps that we have also both read all of the Song of Ice and Fire books and watch Game of Thrones regularly, which really enriches our appreciation of the game).

Android: Netrunner also works well with one player taking all of the corp cards and the other the runner cards, though I'm not as fond of the game as he is.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is also highly doable over Skype, though one player needs to take control of the encounter deck, and deck construction is harder without all the cards at your disposal.

+1 Pixel Tactics, which works well over Skype (again, highly confrontational and arbitrarily overpowered cards might cause some grumbling, but the matches are thankfully very short).

We also play Cities, which is a fun Carcassonne-like game you can find for less than $10. Unlike Carc, each of you has the same set of tiles, so it works great over Skype.

Good luck! Being apart sucks, but it really does help to be able to do this regularly if you both are big gamers. I'm curious to see what other suggestions people might have (we'll have to try Yggdrasil!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to try it, you could lone wolf it with a tabletop RPG. One of you is the DM/GM/ST/Whatever you want to call it, and the other the only player.

I think a more narrative system would work better for this. Savage Worlds, Fate, GUMSHOE (Trail of Cthulhu specifically, but Night's Black Agents would be pretty cool for a single-player game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would directly consider https://www.playdominion.com while being on Skype.

The base set is free and if you want more cards, only one of you has to buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I play on http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/Board1/Agricola.html with my friends on skype all the time. that way we can chat between turns, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Fantasy Flight's LCG's. I'm thinking particularly about either the Star Wars LCG or Warhammer: Invasion (maybe Netrunner, haven't played it). You each just have your own cards on your respective ends of the camera. It may be a little hard to read the iconography, but you can always ask what something does. Really any head-to-head card game that doesn't require passing cards back and forth would work.

If the game is going to have to reside totally on one side of the camera, then coop games are probably the way to go. Pandemic over Skype works decently well. I would imagine games like Zombicide, Castle Ravenloft, and Mice and Mystics would too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
What about boardgamearena.com and using Skype. That seems like the best option.

That way you can play a variety of games in realtime with decent graphics.

Even though yucata.de is turn based if you were on Skype at the same time it would be pretty much the same thing and there are tons of games there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunters of Arcfall!

I used to play this over Skype all the time. Most push your luck games would also qualify. As long as there is nothing like a hidden hand of cards, the long distance player just has to decide to keep going or stop- and occasionally yell at the "host" for performing such a terrible roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most abstracts - you just record the piece/position of each move; e.g. Chess or Go as two obvious ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cgrater wrote:

Sentinels of the Multiverse - CoOp, so you can just show "her" hand in the webcam.

I play SotM three or four times a week, several games a session, with guys from the G+ community in Hangouts. No webcam necessary, and there are several ways to keep track of the game state (what cards are in play, what everyone's HP is, etc) - a spreadsheet which one person screenshares with the group and adjusts as things change, an HTML which works in pretty much the same way, and a Google doc which anyone can edit.

It works very well - you simply announce each card/power/whatever as you play/use it, and adjustments are made to the tracking thing as you go along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.