Subject: Hex & Counter Help for Newbies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: games [+] war [+] hex [+] counter [+] [View All]
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping this is in the right spot here.

I picked up a couple of Victory Points Games this past month and one of them uses a hex and counter approach to the historical war game. I know this is not some "unique" thing, but it is still a bit new to me.blush While the rules seem fairly straightforward, they are less intuitive than I might have hoped--or maybe I'm just reading more complexity than exists there since the concepts are new to me.

Having surfed a bit here and on VPG's site, I am just wondering if there is some basic overview on this particular wargame design that would explain it well. It would help me check it against how the rules for what I am playing (The Last King of Scotland) would then use that approach. (I will say that just playing this once, along with the other VPG I picked up has certainly made me worried my pocketbook will soon have less $ in it!)

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask at any rate.

At the least, I figured a thread like this must exist, but I could not get any to pop up in my search attempts.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I introduced a lot of general concepts in my introduction to Napoleon's Art of War: Eylau and Dresden.

Start around 4:10

Be warned though, VPG games tend to have more modern design features
which break with a lot of the ancien tradition. But, by looking at some
of the old simple games like this, you'll at least be in the same position
the rest of us approach newer games from (which may be a disadvantage in
some cases - some of these modern designs throw out many of the old
standard concepts).

The full playthrough is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a number of introductory wargames published over the years that have a very abbreviated turn sequence. The point to these were to teach the basic concepts of wargaming without a lot of 'chrome'. If you wanted to try some simple hex and counter wargames I would recommend Strike Force One (old SPI intro game) or any of the Civil War folio games (Blue & Gray I, Blue & Gray II, the currently available folio games from Decision, etc.). Memoir '44 would also be a good training for it.

The hex style maps are the easiest way to tile a surface that makes it easy to move in any direction. Typically, you pay a cost in movement points for the type of terrain in each hex in order to enter it. When you use up the allocated movement points you must stop until next turn. Sometimes units in hexes can exert a zone of influence that extends into some or all hexes immediately around it. This influence can force enemies to halt their movement, allow battle or other effects based on the game.

It's easy once you get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both! I will check out that video for sure. I think it is a matter of seeing it in action and then applying it to what I currently have in front of me.

I think I was doing this correctly then. The standard numbers on the counters appear to revolve around "strength" or dice rolls.

I am betting I did this correctly but messed up the adjustments for terrain in the game I was learning it from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.