Subject: Disk reinforcement and placement of terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
"John Doe"
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi!

Played this game for the first time yesterday! Now I have questions...

> Reinforcing new disks: If all disks on the battlefield are either pinned or activated, can players continue to place cards to reinforce disks from their reserve?

Example: After the Activation Phase, Player A and Player B have no more unpinned/unactivated disks left on the battlefield, but they do have disks left in their reserves. Do they have the choice of placing new command cards in order to reinforce those disks before continuing to the Melee Phase?

Answer: No, you need to have at least 1 unpinned/unactivated disk left on the battlefield in order to play a new round of command cards with which you may reinforce.

> Placement of terrain: During our first game, my opponent got the brilliant idea of placing "bad" terrain pieces in my deployment zones; of course I had to pay him back in his own coin... My interpretation of the rules is that this is legal. My only question is, why would anyone place terrain any other way? Yes, you could place a fortified/cover terrain piece on your own side to act as protection, but I fail to see how the current rules prompts players to make diverse battlefields? In the end we had one four pieces of terrain, each one placed in front of our four deployment zones. We flipped around them for a round ad then fought in the middle instead...

Thank you for helping me out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your first question: no.

To answer your second question: it depends. If my opponent has a ranged army (high elves+winds of moral-heigh) it doesn't make much sense to impair their deployment with something like the swamp, because his units will rarely move.
Also it depends on which terrain cards are available: if I'm second player in a game with high elves and there's a watchtower available I'll definetly take it ad place it far from my opponent (or get the windmill, which is VERY useful).

I'd say that there is no terrain placement that is always effective. Even the all-powerful lake that we all love to stick in the enemy's deployment zone becomes useles if the opponent has the feint deployment card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Reinforcing new disks: If all the disks on the battlefield are activated or pin you stop playing command cards so you can't reinforce disks.

2) They why of it would be for strategic reasons and positioning. Putting a crappy piece of terrain in your opponents deployment essentially removes it from the game. It will have little impact and not really hinder your opponent much at all. Placing a crappy piece of terrain in a position just outside of your opponents deployment to impede his movement does serve as a purpose. But if you have a good ranged army you may want to put the crappy terrain in front of then to slow attackers coming at them on foot.

Depending on who goes first you may really want to get a strong piece of terrain under your control. So you can place it in an advantageous spot - which also limits where your opponent can put crappy terrain as well.

Basically there are plenty of situations where the best answer is not crappy terrain on your opponents deployment. It could be that you are just suffering from a group mind problem where you have both gotten accustomed to doing it that way so you think it's the best choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Wow, we got a bunch of Ninjas up in here. ninjaninja

You can't draw a new command card if all disks on the field are pinned or activated so, no you can't use a command card at that time to place reinforcements.

As for your other question, as long as terrain is placed outside of short range from the table edge and other terrain, it may be placed wherever you like.

As for the strategy, you may not want to place terrain into your opponents deployment zone if he is already deploying a defensive army that wants to hide in the back field and you are playing an aggressive infantry army without a lot of ability to cross that terrain. In this case, it would limit your options. Also, there are times when it is more beneficial to place 'good' terrain where you can use it. For instance, if you have an infantry army that is facing a ranged army, you want the cave, line of sight blocking terrain, or some form of cover placed where you can get to it easily.

To be honest, I don't place terrain in deployment zones usually. I find it does what you said in your post. It takes you a round to bypass it and then you end up fighting midfield without any of the benefits that terrain might have given you in your battles. Sure it can be useful sometimes, but it's more likely to just annoy you both for a round until you can get to the real action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"John Doe"
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone!

I updated my first post with the answer to my reinforcement question. Probably helpful for other players searching this forum for answers (as I usually do myself!)

I'm not completely sold on the terrain part, but I haven't played this game that many times yet, time will tell how I think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your edit isn't completely worded correctly though. You need at least one unactivated, unpinned disk to be able to play a round of Command Cards. You can Reinforce as an activation anytime there are Activations left to be spent even if all disks in play are pinned and/or activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"John Doe"
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Fixed it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.