Subject: Changes in the first and second edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Splotchy Ink

Friendswood
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already posted this in the cash n guns second edition forum, but this one will get more attention.

I'm glad it'editiontting reprinted, but first thing I noticed was the removal of the Bang Bang Bang cards in the second edit. Now, I personally don't see the reason for that, cause from what I can tell, they are making a more complicated, more 'gamey'game with the new items, which I can respect. But I love the simplicity of the classic game, and it shouldn't cost much to add eight BBB cards. I'm kind of reminded of Wiz War where they made all these new rules to make it more fair and deep, but in reality everyone just plays with the old rules that are listed as variants on the back. I really do hope that the same will happen here, where you can play the new version of the game but can just as well play the old version and it comes with all the pieces to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to have the option also, but I guess you could always use playing cards instead if you want to play that variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I was saying the same thing, and then I played a lot with the new version, I don't care if there's a Bang Bang Bang or not anymore. And of course, adding a BBB card is very easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Splotchy Ink

Friendswood
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at the updated second edition of Cash N' Guns, I realized something that unfortunately disappointed me.
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2009687/cash-n-guns-second-ed...
They changed the artwork
http://us.asmodee.com/ressources/jeux_versions/cash-n-guns-s...
And it's done by John Kovalic of Munchkin fame.

Now, first of, I like John's artwork, maybe not Munchkin, but I like his artwork. Unfortunately his style requires a very specific kind of game, and because of it's simplicity it also suits much better when the drawings are really small. That's the problem, you have big standees with big props and big money cards, everything about this is big and does not fit with the artwork at all.

John, baby, I'm sorry to say this but, I don't like it. It's less about quality and more about the 'fit' between the game and the artwork. And unfortunately, Gérard Mathieu's artwork fits the game so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Bowers
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that. I like Kovalic's art, but not for this game. This edgy game demands edgy art like the original, not childish corny art that doesn't fit the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Hagedorn
United States
Foristell
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree 100%. The artwork is the only thing stopping me from picking this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up a copy from my FLGS.

The bang and click cards are now hobbit-sized. The bang-bang-bang cards has been removed - so has the shame tokens.

There are black guns with orange tips. There now materials for 8 people included in the game.

The godfather is now a special role that has the power to make someone reshoot and has first choise when sharing the loot.

You draft the loot now and the are different kind of loots - including a token that makes you the new goodfather.

There are now 16 different special powers cards! They have been improved and all of them are easy to understand - many of them has to do with the drafting of the loot.

The art work has been changed and now has a less serious. I was never a fan of the old artwork and I really like the new style.''

P.S. The undercover cop game and the team game with two copies of the game has been removed from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds terrible. They should have renamed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mong Yang
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Removal of Bang-Bang-Bang?

I like it. It'd be a nice variant for the future, maybe in an expansion, but to have to be integral to the game wasn't needed. It streamlines the game for the better.

New art?

Whatever. It's just art. When you're playing the game, where does the art come into play? Your character stand that nobody looks at? The characters on the loot cards? It's more about the interaction than the art.

New rules?

The drafting mechanic is great. There were rounds in the first edition where there were too many people to equally divide the loot so even if you were still in the round, you got nothing, and we'd go on to the next round. It's anti-climatic and disappointing to the players. The drafting guarantees that someone will be getting the loot during that round.

I like the godfather role. It's simple, and it changes it just slightly. Making someone change who they point at could be big. If you don't like that, you can always take the godfather role for yourself. That along with heal cards, extra bullet cards, and awesome super powers makes this such an improvement, that I had to trade it in with my first edition.

For a game like this, art is barely a deal breaker. The gameplay is what matters and I think they improved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
New art?

Whatever. It's just art. When you're playing the game, where does the art come into play? Your character stand that nobody looks at? The characters on the loot cards? It's more about the interaction than the art.

It's a thematic party game by nature. Of course the artwork is integral! Every single time I've played this game most people at least briefly went into character. The 1st edition artwork lends itself to that. The 2nd - not at all.

I happen to like most of the changes to the 2nd edition. But the changed artwork is a deal breaker. It utterly destroys the atmosphere that the 1st edition so nicely evokes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.