Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Help a new player with what to acquire for the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cicimeena Almon

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as the subject line states, my buddy acquired a Core set from a trade and now we get to play this cool game!

What ships should he consider getting first, over others? (Explanations why are also appreciated, when they're paired along with the suggestions!)

Thanks to all for any suggestions. Live long and prosper.

PS, I'd heard the griping back in the day about the paint job differences between this and X-wing and I'm just not seeing them, myself. I've been impressed when looking at the ships up close (during our match the other day) with the paint jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Of All Games

Plymouth
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game, perhaps more than others, makes such a question difficult. Every expansion includes a new ship, new captains, new crew members, new tech, new everything. Generally, every pack offers something useful.

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend picking a faction (or two) and trying to get 3 ships for that faction. That will give you a nice starting point and a bit of variety. As for which ones, pick what looks like fun to you. If you're more about the strategy, look up the contents of each pack and what the cards do.

Edit: If one person is buying everything, perhaps starting out by picking two factions would be better, aiming for at least 2 ships for the two factions. 3+ would be ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cicimeena Almon

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I do appreciate the generic advice but I was hoping for some specific suggestions (if people have any).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the game, and anticipate buying into the system (new ships and what not as you go along), I would suggest keeping an eye open for another starter set, even if it isn't complete. The three ships in the original set are decent, plus you get an extra set of rulers, tokens, and especially DICE - which you will use.

I know that replacement dice are coming out soon, but economically speaking, it makes more sense to buy a second starter set for the dice alone, than to buy the dice separately, given the payout and what you get for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only thing I might suggest would be start with one of the Dominion Ships, probably the Koranak.

And the ONLY reason I would make that suggestion is that if you only have the starter set + one ship, you each can fly two ships, and you will each have two ships that are not of the same faction.

Thus, if you want to Mix-n-match, both players will have to cross-faction in order to do it, keeping things a little more even.

That said, you really can't go wrong whatever you choose, however I would personally recommend steering away from the following.
IKS G'Roth
USS Reliant
RIS Vo
RIS Apnex
5th Wing Patrol Ship
IKS Kronos One

My experience is that these ships work better in bigger fleets (3 or 4 ships) and thus I would not recommend them for your first purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I always introduce players to the game - this is what I would recommend in order:

Inititial investment:
Starter Pack (Obviously) and Koranak

that gives you 4 relatively well matched ships that you can play against 2v2. You're also not as subliminaly encouraged to have one side play the matching faction ships and the other stuck with what's leftover. The range of different maneuvers is also about as wide as you can get and is great for teaching what kind of flying style you like to work with. The upgrades from the Koranak are also the most highly customizable I think with some of the best upgrades and solo captains in the game (Dukat I'd rank number 3 or 4, Evek in the top 10)

Further Investment (depending on what you find you like):
- Negh'var, Koraga, Valdore, Defiant, Bioship Alpha
(if you like the straight forward nature of the Vor'cha and direct combat. A lot of powerful cards here.)

- Enterprise, Negh'var, Science Vessel, Kraxon, Voyager
(if you like the upgardes and tactics to make up for maneuverability you can get out of the Koranak or Enterprise-D. Also has the most "support your allies" kind of ships and cards.)

- Miranda Class, Excelsior Class, Praetus, Gor Portas, Nistrim Raider
(if you like the good maneuverabiility of the D'Deridex and using tactics to make up for lack of raw firepower. These offer a good deal of "change the game" cards like Energy Dissipator, Cloaked Mines, I Stab at Thee, Transwarp Drive, etc.)

The Borg sphere is another beast altogether. It really changes the game compared to all the other ships, and in beginner/introduction situations would probably be better if you want to do some 2-on-1 matches or something. If you're not really looking to go competitive, I don't think it's the best recommendation.

I would not recommend the 4th Division, Equinox, 5th Wing, Gr'Roth, Kronos One, Somraw, Gal Ga'thong or Vo until you've already got a good selection of the other ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I recently found myself in this same situation and was not disappointed in my choices. As the above, I decided to get 3 ships in a faction to try it out because I like playing faction pure (no particular reason, I'm just a trekkie). A bit expensive, but here's the "bang for your buck" breakdown.

Klingons: Get the Negh'Var. If you're a fan of the show you'll love running Gowron and Martok side-by-side and its "defend the station" game makes playing with your friends more interesting. After that I got the Koraga, which wasn't a bad call either.

Romulans: Valdore, hands down, no contest. Donatra and Tactical Officer are a must, it has great attack, and a co-op mission to play with up to two friends!

Federation: No bad choices here. I started with Voyager and wasn't disappointed All ships are playable in their own right with plenty of interesting and recognizable characters. If you go this route though, note The Federation have a bad case of "buy a whole pack for a couple indispensable cards" syndrome.

If you want to go into a faction that isn't represented in the starter, Borg or Species 8472 are your cheapest options. Dominion, while fun, would require getting 3 new ships just to understand how they work faction pure. But if you do invest in them, make sure to get the Koranak as mentioned above.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you pick up the very first big box expansion, it can be harder to find since it doesn't follow the rest of the Attack Wing naming conventions but follow this link to Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Follow it up with the next 2 expansions in order Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Romulan Empire and Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Dominion. You can thank me later whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Kassanova wrote:
I would suggest you pick up the very first big box expansion, it can be harder to find since it doesn't follow the rest of the Attack Wing naming conventions but follow this link to Star Trek: Fleet Captains. Follow it up with the next 2 expansions in order Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Romulan Empire and Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Dominion. You can thank me later whistle

Ah.. ah you almost got me. I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirron Young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what Kevin listed above pretty much. Probably cause I'm a trekkie as well thus wanted to set things up for faction pure to mimic the show's theme.

My thought processes pretty much was to expand what was present in the starter set (since I'm pretty much owning this game amongst my friends). Keep in mind I'm just pretty new to this game as well.

So for starters:

Romulan: Valdore = Mainly for the reason that it was "the ship" that Picard needed help from against Shinzon in the movie "Nemesis". Not sure if there is a ship that has "Sela" aboard...but if there was I might look for that as well.

Klingon: Negh'Var = Aside from Worf, I'ld have to say Martok is my favourite Klingon. Always personally liked him more than Gowron.

Feds: Defiant or Voyager = I got the Defiant (since it is perhaps one of my most favourite ships aside from the Prometheus. Voyager I have purchased but have yet to open but from what I've read it seems to be the "hottest" ship that people are running with lately.

Last but not least: Borg Sphere = Just thought it might make things interesting if say I'm having a group of friends over to play and (yes I'm a d&d person) and needed somewhat of a role to play that can act as game master.

Cheers!

Turbowombat wrote:
I recently found myself in this same situation and was not disappointed in my choices. As the above, I decided to get 3 ships in a faction to try it out because I like playing faction pure (no particular reason, I'm just a trekkie). A bit expensive, but here's the "bang for your buck" breakdown.

Klingons: Get the Negh'Var. If you're a fan of the show you'll love running Gowron and Martok side-by-side and its "defend the station" game makes playing with your friends more interesting. After that I got the Koraga, which wasn't a bad call either.

Romulans: Valdore, hands down, no contest. Donatra and Tactical Officer are a must, it has great attack, and a co-op mission to play with up to two friends!

Federation: No bad choices here. I started with Voyager and wasn't disappointed All ships are playable in their own right with plenty of interesting and recognizable characters. If you go this route though, note The Federation have a bad case of "buy a whole pack for a couple indispensable cards" syndrome.

If you want to go into a faction that isn't represented in the starter, Borg or Species 8472 are your cheapest options. Dominion, while fun, would require getting 3 new ships just to understand how they work faction pure. But if you do invest in them, make sure to get the Koranak as mentioned above.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of the opinions that have been given so far, although I favor the Original Enterprise for its upgrades and I don't think the Gr'oth, Reliant, or Gal Gath'thong are particularly bad choices (they wouldn't necessarily be my first choice in their respective factions, but I could see getting any of them second or third--in fact, I did get the Gr'oth and Reliant second, come to think of it ).

But yeah, apart from steering clear of a few of the more specialized ships for now, you should really be guided by considerations of whether you want to fly mixed or pure fleets, whether you like breadth or specialization, which factions and shows you're most interested in, and what sort of tactics and other gameplay elements you get the most out of. And there are no wrong answers to any of those questions. (...Although you wouldn't know it from some of the discussions around here )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Get the starter first.

If you want variety and smaller games initially, just get the Koranak. Each ship invovled can get near 40 points and all feel different.

If you want to play faction pure (or ship pure) matches at 100 points, you'll need at least one expansion ship for each faction you like and probably a second. If you care more about theme then getting a tournament competitive fleet right away, just buy your favorite ships and go.

If you want to go more competitive and care less about buying favorites:
Feds: Get Voyager and original Enterprise. This gets you the best crew (Enterprise) and all of the high skill Fed Captains. Voyager and Enterprise-D work very well together. Don't get the Defiant, Reliant, or Equinox as your first picks. They all have some good cards, but aren't game changer expansions or ships by themselves.

Dominion: Get the Koranak and Kraxon. Then pick whatever next ship you want save for the Battleship. Koranak has almost no dud cards and the best Dominion captain. Kraxon has an excellent ship ability and is a reliable if unexceptional ship otherwise.

Romulans: Get the Valdore. The Valdore will be a staple ship for your ROmulans for the lifespan of this game. It's cards in the expansion are also good cards. After that, pretty much just pick any small Romulan ship except the Vo and you get something neat from each that is viable.

Klingons: Get the Negh'var first. Excellent ship with two great captains. After that, probably the Koraga. Koraga gives you a decent captain and good officers. The ship itself is alright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al
msg tools
JackOfAllGames42 wrote:

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend picking a faction (or two) and trying to get 3 ships for that faction. That will give you a nice starting point and a bit of variety. As for which ones, pick what looks like fun to you. If you're more about the strategy, look up the contents of each pack and what the cards do..

As general advice for all new players, i would certainly recommend choosing two factions if you're planning on going pure, especially if you are in the UK.

This is mostly to avoid disappointment when looking to buy another expansion for your fleet. It can be disappointing to turn up at your FLGS only to find they are completely out of Federation ships but stocked to the gills with Klingons and Romulans. Having two factions to collect doubles your chances of getting a new ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
The way I always introduce players to the game - this is what I would recommend in order:

Inititial investment:
Starter Pack (Obviously) and Koranak

that gives you 4 relatively well matched ships that you can play against 2v2. You're also not as subliminaly encouraged to have one side play the matching faction ships and the other stuck with what's leftover. The range of different maneuvers is also about as wide as you can get and is great for teaching what kind of flying style you like to work with. The upgrades from the Koranak are also the most highly customizable I think with some of the best upgrades and solo captains in the game (Dukat I'd rank number 3 or 4, Evek in the top 10)

Further Investment (depending on what you find you like):
- Negh'var, Koraga, Valdore, Defiant, Bioship Alpha
(if you like the straight forward nature of the Vor'cha and direct combat. A lot of powerful cards here.)

- Enterprise, Negh'var, Science Vessel, Kraxon, Voyager
(if you like the upgardes and tactics to make up for maneuverability you can get out of the Koranak or Enterprise-D. Also has the most "support your allies" kind of ships and cards.)

- Miranda Class, Excelsior Class, Praetus, Gor Portas, Nistrim Raider
(if you like the good maneuverabiility of the D'Deridex and using tactics to make up for lack of raw firepower. These offer a good deal of "change the game" cards like Energy Dissipator, Cloaked Mines, I Stab at Thee, Transwarp Drive, etc.)

The Borg sphere is another beast altogether. It really changes the game compared to all the other ships, and in beginner/introduction situations would probably be better if you want to do some 2-on-1 matches or something. If you're not really looking to go competitive, I don't think it's the best recommendation.

I would not recommend the 4th Division, Equinox, 5th Wing, Gr'Roth, Kronos One, Somraw, Gal Ga'thong or Vo until you've already got a good selection of the other ships.

I'd agree with Will up to a point. If you want one of each faction, his Starter/Koranak suggestion is just about perfect. Good options, works for 2x2 fleets etc etc.

For a second purchase, I'd get the following
TOS Enterprise, Miranda, Kronos One, Valdore. These four ships open up some great crew (TOS Enterprise in particular), provide two iconic scenarios (Mutarra Nebula & Kobyashi Maru from TOS Enterprise & Miranda), and bump the Klingons & Romulans nicely. You get an excellent captain on the Valdore (which I favor over the Khazara anyway). If you want a second Dominion ship, I'd add a Kraxon as the Kraxon/Koranak pair is a natural.

Third purchase of four would include the Voyager, Negh'Var, Excelsior, and a Borg Sphere. If you want a fifth, add a Koraga BoP. This should give you everthing you might commonly need except a Defiant for most anything in the TNG/Voyager era and it gives you a big bad (and it is a BIG BAD) to play against in the Sphere.

At that point you've got somewhere between 12-15 ships with a nice representation of all four main factions and a Borg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cicimeena Almon

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions, folks. I've taken several bits of advice here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.