1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: New players do not know how to move on. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Poitras
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey, we're looking for some advice on how to move on for a critical moment in this campaign.

Little backstory.
-Pathfinder Jade Regent Campaign
-Mostly new players, first time these people experience a loss, but mostly all good roleplayers.
-Characters about level 5, all attached to each other.
-Party's druid falls to his death after getting picked up as a mouse by a falcon, takes about 60ish damage
-Party watches as one of their members falls about 180ft to the ground and pancakes.
-Bard is the party leader
-He wants to take his place

This is where it turned to shit.
*rolls a 99 behind the screen on a prayer*
-A god shows up, does the switch, Bards nowhere to be seen.
-Whole party is upset.
-Mage who, for the past few sessions has been acting more and more like the Iconic super villain, goes pyro-crazy
-Torches the farm house, kills 20 people
-Druid litterally 3 shots the enemy leader at the farm.
-Paladin watches as his friends slaughter innocents and bad guys alike
-Druid is a shell of his former self, their "boss" as he called him is now dead.
-Mage, who the entire campaign has been trying to act like a good guy, is finally playing as himself, finding his true self emotionally.
-Paladin emotionally scared by the event.

So where do we go from here?
I told them it's completely normal to retire some characters. The whole event yesterday was an important turn the characters' lives. The druid seems to be nudging at self isolation, the wizard is leaving the party to fulfill his own goals (He really looks like a super villain, wears a mask, has glowing red runes on his skin, has a few tentacle-like symbiotes from running backstory campaigns to catch up in level due to having 7 party members). The paladin thinks he can only stay and help the main NPC if the other two leave, also struggling to find a purpose now.

They ended up crashing a funeral party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Larson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're looking for http://rpggeek.com/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I shake my head when people ask for an RPG boardgame. You can't put this into a boardgame people.

I wish all my RPG sessions went like this. Well, except for the god call...my players know better than to try....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could take the mage character over and turn it into a villain for a campaign for the rest of the party? It honestly sounds like you should have stepped in as the GM somewhere to stop a lot of that from happening. Who says you need to tell them what you actually roll behind that screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janelle Cooper
United States
Mound Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extaordinary destiny." C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
ROTFL !!

Grab the movie rights and start working on the sequel!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpoit957 wrote:

-Party's druid falls to his death after getting picked up as a mouse by a falcon, takes about 60ish damage

A mouse's terminal velocity is non-lethal, though!*

*may not actually be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the first thing that goes through the mind of a mouse when it hits the ground at that altitude? Same thing that goes through the mind of a mosquito when it hits the windshield of my car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
mpoit957 wrote:

Yup, totally true:
http://everything2.com/title/How+far+can+an+animal+fall+and+...

I've seen the cat experiment "done" when someone's kitty decided it was a good idea to jump off the balcony in an office building onto the umbrella I was sitting under. Cat broke through the umbrella, but walked away fine.

So the whole thing was a bad call! Reverse time! That's the only solution! A wizard did it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
I wish all my RPG sessions went like this. Well, except for the god call...my players know better than to try....

Agreed. Except that I'd never require the players to rely on a dice roll to determine whether their prayers were heard - I'd opt to do what's best for the story based on the character motivations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
EmperorZeb wrote:
I think you're looking for http://rpggeek.com/.

Crap. If this is how the threads on RPGGeek read, I may have found a new addiction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time I am GM for a game I need to do stuff like this.

"I turn into a mouse"

"A falcon immediately swoops out of nowhere at deals you *rolls* 60 damage. You are dead"

"..."

"well, good session guys"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do post this on RPGgeek... please post the link on this thread, b/c I'm curious what kind of feedback RPGers will give you.

As a boardgamer I have no idea, but, it's an entertaining read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the falcon an encounter the player's could defeat or was this a plot kill done by the whims of the DM? In other words, was avoidable or was it just for shock-value?

Also, 5th level characters should never summon deities, no matter what you roll. I realize this is a fantasy game, but there should still be boundaries.

No offense, but it sounds like you had this reaction coming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
Next time I am GM for a game I need to do stuff like this.

"I turn into a mouse"

"A falcon immediately swoops out of nowhere at deals you *rolls* 60 damage. You are dead"

"..."

"well, good session guys"

I always played the dice straight as a GM back in the early 80's. I got the ole "killer DM" label. When another guy asked to try GM you could tell he was fudging rolls to progress the story. I lost immediate interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are all RPG posts this entertaining? Hell, I'm heading over to the other forum now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And thus the first stage of RPGGeek's takeover of BGG has begun. Resist, brethren!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rpg geek is a good idea.

Sounds like it was a fun night, but potentially a tough one. The best way to help this situation comes before the campaign starts, make sure that all the characters have a strong shared motivation or philosophy that will keep them together through their differences. Hopefully one related to the main plot thread of the game if there is one.

Let the players talk it out together, see what players with dead characters want to play, or if anyone is looking to change characters. Points like this can be a good time to get a restart.

Ask questions of the players like, "What could the pyro crazy murder mage do to help keep the paladin friends with him?" I think it is important for the players to make an effort to keep the group together, even if they have to metagame a little bit. This is especially true of people who play crazy borderline supervillian characters with tentacles. The more crazy your actions and background are. the more willing a player has to be to compromise for the sake of the game. They are the ones creating potential problems, so they should also be the ones who make the greatest concessions to keep the band together so to speak.

Of course people who make these sorts of characters are normally the ones least likely to care about what is best for the game. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to bring in a new challenge or enemy that gives the fracturing party a reason to stay together. Some villainous npc that plays on what drives them individually or some shared motivation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep come on over to rpg geek, it's a big button at the top of the page, but I also flagged the post for a moderator to move it. We have a lot of Pathfinder experienced GM's running around and even a guild of PF Society fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
mpoit957 wrote:

Yup, totally true:
http://everything2.com/title/How+far+can+an+animal+fall+and+...
What about 200 mice stuck together? That'd be a bit fatal, right? :s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the General Role-Playing forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it went really well interestingly!

How about taking an in-game break and skipping a few years of game time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Working off of Jules' idea you could also skip ahead a century and have the CHILDREN of the original characters grouping together as they had heard all these stories of their parents time together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Working off of Jules' idea you could also skip ahead a century and have the CHILDREN of the original characters grouping together as they had heard all these stories of their parents time together.

Ooh, I like that too! I've seen and heard it happen before that characters and stories are sometimes just *done* way earlier than you expected them to be. There's no shame in that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
We actually had something similar happen in a campaign when we were kids. Party kinda "lost it" and basically turned on each-other, innocents and basically ended up as lawless, uncontrolled madmen.

It was the GMs fault.

I know... I was the Game Master. Player's can self-police themselves and they should. But it's the ultimate responsibility of the GM to stop the game when things start to slide and take stock of what the players are looking for. If they really do want to slide into an uncontrolled mess, let them... for a session or so and then move on to new characters and new objectives.

When things like this happen, it's sometimes a sign that they are not happy with the objectives or motivations they have before them. Maybe the GM forced the characters, mission and objectives on them - the players had no "buy in". Better to start again and let the players define some goals for their characters, some motivations and have some buy-in to how the world operates. Then they are less likely to lose their shit.

My 2 geekgold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.