Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Story

The Nobles are about to visit and you have been given the honor to garner them each a precious gem. As time is of the essence, you scramble to use all the resources at your disposal to welcome them and present to them the precious gems.

Set up

- Place 3 chips for each gem in the bank. Leave the rest in the box along with all the gold chips.
- Shuffle the Green and Yellow decks as usual and stack the green deck on top of the yellow deck. Place that to the side. This is your Central Resource Deck.
- next to the Central Resource Deck is the discard pile. (More on that in Gameplay.)
- Deal out 2 rows of 4 cards each from the Central Resource Deck.
- Remove the 5 point cards from the blue deck. These are the Precious Gems.
- Place the Precious gems in their own row above the other 2 rows.
- Place the rest of the blue deck back in the box.
- Shuffle the Noble Tiles and deal out 5 Nobles. Place the rest back in the box.

Gameplay

The game mechanics are mostly unchanged. You may still use the discounts, you still get points, etc. But the gameplay has changed a little.

- Taking 3 chips/gems from the bank functions the same way. You take 3 and they all must be of a different color.
- However, given that there are only 3 chips of each color, taking 2 chips of the same color are not available as a choice.
- Note that there are no gold chips and Reserving a card is not allowed.
- Your chip/gem limit is still 10.

-- When purchasing a card from a row, pay its cost as normal (use discounts if you have them), but when you do, discard the rest of the row. (There are 2 rows, don't discard both rows just the one that had the purchased card in it)

-- Purchasing a precious gem adds it to your play area like normal and can be used for its discount. The precious gem row (or any other row) will not be affected/trashed when this occurs.

Game End

The game ends when either of these conditions are met:

- All 5 precious gems are bought.
- The Central Resource Deck and its respective rows are empty.

Now count up all the points and match up your score!

0-8 Worker
8-17 Traveling Merchant
18-27 Apprentice
28-40 Journeyman
41-65 Master

---------------------

I made this Solo Variant as more of a puzzle within a puzzle. But as I removed more and more of the complexity I initially added, this kind of shone through and its simplicity (compared to the initial build I had) captured my attention. So I wanted to share it here.

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) playing with this Variant. I hope it works well for you. Please let me know if you have any questions or changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modxxii modxxii
Italy
flag msg tools
I've just tried it. Very very nice variant.
52 points, not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Klein
Germany
48151 Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thankš so much, i posted the variant in this Geek List , Hope it's okay . Like the variant , light filler game for One player
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/172996/solitaire-games-on-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried it. Very fun solo filler!
I played the end condition a bit different I think, immediately when a row cannot be fully replenished the game ends. Otherwise I had 9 more points.

Also why wouldn't you start by getting al the gems at the start of the game? First thing I did was get all the gems.

Score: 32 or 41 (depending on ending condition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tajs wrote:
Just tried it. Very fun solo filler!
I played the end condition a bit different I think, immediately when a row cannot be fully replenished the game ends. Otherwise I had 9 more points.

Also why wouldn't you start by getting al the gems at the start of the game? First thing I did was get all the gems.

Score: 32 or 41 (depending on ending condition)

You mean beyond the 10 gem limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HA ... Funny I totally forgot about that super awkward ^^

I did meant it, thanks for the subtle question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not sure if you meant that, or if you just meant you could essentially set your first 10 gems and work from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Gates
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an interesting puzzle, but has none of the tension of the game. The chips are not really needed, you can buy any card whose cost is within three of each of your current bonuses. I got 43 pts on my first try.

I've played a different solitaire version like this:
1. Set up for a two player game.
2. Take your turn as per a normal game. This includes refilling the row if you have purchased or reserved a card.
3. After your turn, remove the right most card from the lowest row that has cards. Shift the cards to the right. Fill the now empty position. (Optional rule: before you take your first card, you may remove the right-most of the row, or the top-most from the draw pile, player's choice.)
4. The pile of removed cards is your counter of turns. Try to reach 15 points in the fewest turns.

My best score is 22 turns.
This seems closer to the race to 15 points that is the 2-4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Patry
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun variant. I think having unlimited gem taking actions hurts the game tho. You can basicaly have 10 of any color at any time, from my understanding. The limit to taking 3 of different colors becomes meaningless as you can do it three times then put back any color you dont need after your turn when you go over 10. I didnt feel i had to be efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicolò mengarelli
Italy
flag msg tools
Larry Gates, Sébastien Patry says right.
...but there is a simply fix

every time u choose to pick up gems, discard one card from the top of the deck.

so every move are counted, try to reach 15 point in less moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Osborn
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tajs wrote:

I would agree that this tweak would probably improve the variant. I ended with 50 points, but gained about 35 points after the deck ran out. While it was fun to run the engine at full speed for a few turns, I think it also allowed for sloppy play to get to the "Master" level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosborn wrote:
Tajs wrote:
I would agree that this tweak would probably improve the variant. I ended with 50 points, but gained about 35 points after the deck ran out. While it was fun to run the engine at full speed for a few turns, I think it also allowed for sloppy play to get to the "Master" level.

As Larry mentions the chips are not essential - if a card costs up to Bonuses +3 you can afford it. By removing the chips this way speeds up play.

I played without the tweak and agree playing until rows are empty makes for a too easy a game; 5 plays, lowest score 47, which is safely in the Master zone.

I also like the look of Larry's 15 pts in minimal rounds, as chips come back into play. Also cards are removed as if an opponent had taken the card - possibly the one you had your eye on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Query on Larry's minimum moves Solo Variant

kalimgates wrote:

3. After your turn, remove the right most card from the lowest row that has cards.
Shift the cards to the right.
Fill the now empty position.

Do you mean to say the left-most card?
If removing the right hand card (#4) there is no need to shift the row.

If it is the right most card (#4) then you only have 1 turn to buy/reserve it; ... Fill the empty #4 position. Take your turn. Remove (and replace) #4.
If it is the left most card, then you have the intervening turns while it shifts from being added at #4 to being removed from #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Cult of the New
mbmbmbmbmb
Really love this solo variant, its fun and really sets you to prioritize your developments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertjan Davies
Netherlands
Enschede
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iz Nibz wrote:
Query on Larry's minimum moves Solo Variant

kalimgates wrote:

3. After your turn, remove the right most card from the lowest row that has cards.
Shift the cards to the right.
Fill the now empty position.

Do you mean to say the left-most card?
If removing the right hand card (#4) there is no need to shift the row.

If it is the right most card (#4) then you only have 1 turn to buy/reserve it; ... Fill the empty #4 position. Take your turn. Remove (and replace) #4.
If it is the left most card, then you have the intervening turns while it shifts from being added at #4 to being removed from #1.

I'm not Larry, but with your system (remove card #4 and replace it with a new card on spot #4) you can safe up gems to get the cards (#1, #2 & #3), while Larry's system is more a sort of emulation of the normal game, cards get "bought" by the opponents, in this case Father Time

#1, #2, #3, #4 -> #New, #1, #2, #3 (#4 is discarded)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this version. Had a quick run-through on the way to find solo versions. I'm glad I found this. I got to 50 so I assume I may have got something not quite correct! I'll go through the rules again next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironed out the rules and getting slightly lower scores. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
How would it work if Larry's variant is not meant to last as few turns as possible, but to play against a dummy player? What he suggests seems to be a little similar to the card removal mechanism in the solo variant of Ascension. Let me explain.

When you remove the right most card from the row (don't take it from the deck), don't remove it from the game, but set it aside instead and make sure that the different gems and their numbers on the cards are clearly visible to you. These cards are in possession of the dummy player. You take this action after every one of your turns, unless the collection of gems on the cards allow the dummy player to buy a more valuable card from any row. The dummy player doesn't need chips to buy cards. Every card he removes every turn is "bought" for free. If the gems on the dummy player's cards are enough to buy a card other than the right most card on the lowest row (that he usually removes), then he always buys the card with the highest number of points on it that he can buy with the gems on the cards that were set aside. If there are more than one of the some point value, then he buys the available that needs the most gems (the most expensive card). If even that is equal, the player chooses which one is taken.
If the player gets 15 points before the dummy player does, he wins. Otherwise he loses.

I didn't playtest this, but I'm happy to know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Schettino
Italy
Napoli
Napoli
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very very nice variant.
I scored 50 points at the first try, but I think that scoring that many points is quite simple... (I'll retry to be sure)

I don't know if discarding cards/rows when taking chips will be a solution to get a more challenging game, because during the green part of the deck I purchased few chips, using as many discounts as possible and aiming at one card of each row.
Moreover, discarding a row each time you purchase a card is quite frustrating for me... I wasn't able to build a strategy, and I didn't like that.

What do you think about discarding the other row each time you purchase a card?

Have you tried to play it with a single row made by 4/5 cards, and discarding the last one each time you take an action (taking chips, purchasing cards or gems)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Oliveira
Portugal
Agualva,Sintra
Lisboa
flag msg tools
When discarding from a row and there are only 2 card to come in, do I take them as a new row and play with them or do I consider that row to be done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.