Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Steam and I love to get new maps for it (and I keep trying to find Age of Steam maps that will work well with Steam), but I'm rather disappointed by this expansion. The quality is the worst so far: both the map and the sheet of counters look like they were printed on the cheapest cardboard possible, with no glossy finish, and with washed-out colors.
It'll work, but it looks pretty bad next to the other maps/counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That stinks. Any comparative pictures? I am still looking forward to it though. I haven't seen any this side of the border yet. Was it just released in Canada?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Map of Poland and worse quality... damn :/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
That stinks. Any comparative pictures? I am still looking forward to it though. I haven't seen any this side of the border yet. Was it just released in Canada?

I should have some time to take pictures tomorrow. Stay tuned.

(And I don't see why it would only be available in Canada at this time...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartP wrote:
Map of Poland and worse quality... damn :/.

Sorry Bart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Funguy wrote:

I should have some time to take pictures tomorrow. Stay tuned.

(And I don't see why it would only be available in Canada at this time...)

Oh, I just saw that you lived in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a pic of the new coin next to the old one:

And here's a comparision between an old blue tile, and one of the new blue tiles:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that really sucks. I wonder if you just happened to get a bad one, or if they all look this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
Wow, that really sucks. I wonder if you just happened to get a bad one, or if they all look this way?

I'm curious as well. Let's see if we hear from other disappointed buyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:

I'm curious as well. Let's see if we hear from other disappointed buyers.

First we have to get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine today. I didn't compare colors or coin sizes. However, I don't find the lighter shade unpleasant to look at. The cardboard thickness is good. It didn't feel cheap at all. Also the texture of the new components is different. Instead of the shiny smoothness of previous expansions, this one feels rougher and less slick. I like that a lot better. It is easier to grasp and handle. Overall, I personally think the quality is improving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the action tiles now that I am home. They are lighter than the ones with the base game, but the same as the other expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have the Belgium/Luxembourg map expansion because we wanted to play a 2p Steam game. I can't tell you how underwhelmed we were with this map. Is there a better 2p map you guys would recommend? This one felt so small and restrictive with the final 2-3 rounds being rather limited and pre-determined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, Cole...will check out the link you provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Czapski
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The lightness and rough finish is different but is OK with me. Except yes the lighter $5 coins look bad next to the other $5 coins, so I put those in my odd components bin. I think there are enough $5 coins already anyway. The poor alignment of the die cutting looks weird but I can live with that, too.

-Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have the Belgium/Luxembourg map expansion because we wanted to play a 2p Steam game. I can't tell you how underwhelmed we were with this map. Is there a better 2p map you guys would recommend? This one felt so small and restrictive with the final 2-3 rounds being rather limited and pre-determined.

Hey Jeff,

I played the Poland map 2 player yesterday, and I can happily report that it felt much more open than Belgium/Luxembourg.

I think the 2 player balance is achieved in this map by having limited cubes, spread-apart cities, and rules that permit building 3 tracks per turn (I really feel constrained by having only 2 track builds per turn in other 2 player maps).

There is also an interesting mechanism that makes purple cities a sort of '2nd tier' city, requiring two urbanize action to build. This makes the late game interesting, because the purple city probably shows up around turn 6 or 7, creating a renewed competition to ship those purple cubes.

I highly recommend it!

-Jordan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
serjordah wrote:
I played the Poland map 2 player yesterday, and I can happily report that it felt much more open than Belgium/Luxembourg.

I think the 2 player balance is achieved in this map by having limited cubes, spread-apart cities, and rules that permit building 3 tracks per turn (I really feel constrained by having only 2 track builds per turn in other 2 player maps).

There is also an interesting mechanism that makes purple cities a sort of '2nd tier' city, requiring two urbanize action to build. This makes the late game interesting, because the purple city probably shows up around turn 6 or 7, creating a renewed competition to ship those purple cubes.

I highly recommend it!

-Jordan

Thank you, Jordan! I really appreciate that feedback. Sounds like a much better map, and I don't mind the faded colors...helps me to distinguish and keep separate the expansion from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my copy the other day and just cracked it open today. While the colors are a bit less vibrant than previous expansions and the base game, they are still quite acceptable. I was more concerned about the misaligned money chits. Mine were perfectly centered and posed no problems or issues. Overall no major concerns. Perhaps Mayfair should pay closer attention to color consistency in subsequent expansions or reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurentiu Cristofor
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have much time to play boardgames these days, but I try to keep track of the new map expansions for a few favorite games. I picked all 4 expansions of Steam but I did not get to unpack #2-4 until today. When I got to #4, I had the same reaction: what a drop in quality!

If you check the covers, they advertise the place of manufacture. #1-3 are made in Germany. #4 is made in USA.

I don't mind the colors as much as the fact that the glossy surface is lost and now the map and tokens have a rough and dry feel that I worry about the paint wearing off with use. Furthermore, the map itself is not as sturdy - the German maps had a hinge reinforced with cloth - the USA map lacks this feature. Finally, the chits didn't punch out cleanly - a couple of them teared some of the surface of the frame and I had to "shave" it off with a scissor. Very disappointing and it was not even less expensive than the previous maps.

If Mayfair reads this - please go back to your German board manufacturer. I will not buy any other made in USA expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laurentiu, I could have wrote your post, my feelings are exactly the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jean
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought it, I think that it's bad too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.