Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Ashley
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well not every card, but when I hear people talk about this game, they are almost always talking about a different card being "broken" or unbeatable.

I wonder is this a result of the game being new, and the masses not being quite settled on the best cards yet? Or is this a sign of balance, meaning that there are powerful combos, but there are also plenty of counters to those combos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me it's the way they balanced the game. You can either pull everything into an average when balancing, bringing some characters up and others down, or just always go upwards, making weaker characters as powerful as the uber-powerful ones, meaning everyone eventually becomes crazy. I like the second one better, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a0ashle wrote:
Well not every card, but when I hear people talk about this game, they are almost always talking about a different card being "broken" or unbeatable.

I wonder is this a result of the game being new, and the masses not being quite settled on the best cards yet? Or is this a sign of balance, meaning that there are powerful combos, but there are also plenty of counters to those combos?

There are no cards that don't have an answer in the form of another card.

Are some cards more powerful than others? Of course. As they are in every head-to-head card game.

Are there cards that you HAVE to run in every deck in order to be competitive?

Too early to say, but it's possible. Only the meta will decide that and it's too early to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The term "broken" gets used way more than it should. Sure theres some pretty powerful cards/combos but I haven't noticed anything that screams "BROKEN". We even play with SRs GG and BW and we still aren't screaming "broken". We are having fun finding that strategy that can help beat them. Plus the game does use dice so randomness can play a roll in the game. I had one game where I purchased all 4 BW in the first 2 turns. I rolled energy on the first 3 that came out. This slowed my offense way down. He still was only able to beat me by 2. So I personally think the game is very well balanced. Players just have to find the right strategies and counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
sounds like a bunch of noobs saying that that won't take the time to learn the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A sign of balance is when everyone is complaining about different things being overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, what definition of broken are we using? To my understanding broken means: A card that usually does so poorly it is useless but in a rare instance becomes an unstoppable game winner. The term broken comes from the fiddlyness and situational usefulness.

Overpowered is the term to describe cards that are just amazingly too good!

So to clarify to the original post, do you feel these cards are "broken" or "overpowered"?

So often people use the term broken when they mean overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Ashley
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
To clarify, what definition of broken are we using? To my understanding broken means: A card that usually does so poorly it is useless but in a rare instance becomes an unstoppable game winner. The term broken comes from the fiddlyness and situational usefulness.

Overpowered is the term to describe cards that are just amazingly too good!

So to clarify to the original post, do you feel these cards are "broken" or "overpowered"?

So often people use the term broken when they mean overpowered.

Sorry for the confusion, I have always used "Broken" to mean overpowered, game breakingly so, but I can definitely see how it could come to mean as you described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Ashley
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
sounds like a bunch of noobs saying that that won't take the time to learn the game

This goes toward my orignal question, this game is only 8 days old now, are people just reporting these overpowered cards because the meta game hasn't matured enough to discover that they aren't as overpowered as initially thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These sets were tested and tested trust me EVERY card has an answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Van Rys
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far from what I have seen and read it appears to me that storm, black widow, green goblin are the broken cards. However from what I know about game companies (Wizkidz for example) is that they play test their games a billion times before releasing it. If something was that powerful or weak it wouldn't be in the game. If something does turn out to be ridiculous the expansions will make up for it in some way.

It's just not good business to make the game "broken".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#666 mutate Beast counters Black Widow pretty well.
Doctor Doom counters Green goblin

you wanna talk broken combo. the spiderman that makes everybody block him and patch nick fury with some hard hitting avengers like thor, hawkeye and hulk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fleece
United States
New Baltimore
MI
flag msg tools
Jesus Christ is Lord of my life.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:

I think that Beast Genetic Expert works better in countering Black Widow Tsarina. Her spinning down Beast actually helps him since his burst is on Level 1 and you want him to et knocked out.

Everyone seems to love Mutate 666 and while I think it is a great card I've always seen Genetic Expert as the better option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
RogertheDumpling wrote:
troyboy81 wrote:

I think that Beast Genetic Expert works better in countering Black Widow Tsarina. Her spinning down Beast actually helps him since his burst is on Level 1 and you want him to et knocked out.

Everyone seems to love Mutate 666 and while I think it is a great card I've always seen Genetic Expert as the better option.

I agree that Genetic Expert is a very good counter to Tsarina. It spins down to avoid the damage, netting you +1 life when KO'd while blocking, and can deal 2 damage to your opponent if at level 1.

I don't think Genetic Expert is better than 666; each card serves a different purpose. Granted, both serve their purpose by blocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm is pretty powerful, but she is not broken. If you see your opponent pulling here you have to then build according to stop her. It also depends on what storm. If you feel that the storm that rerolls your entire team wrecks you. get the power with the global to pay a mask and return an attacking character to the field. With every cards being a 110% its very easy to stop her and the first thing to do is stop your opponent first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:
Doctor Doom counters Green goblin

you wanna talk broken combo. the spiderman that makes everybody block him and patch nick fury with some hard hitting avengers like thor, hawkeye and hulk

Yeah this is good, but it is a minimum 3 dice combo.. therefore it takes a long time to set up and can be dealt with if you see it coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.