Galaxy Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: Mission 5 victory at 1st try / This Game is Great overall!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game just a few days ago, and while I´m on vacation. I had the time to play it solo. I reached mission 5 today in my campaign, with Very Hard Settings. (5 Agents)

This mission provided me probably the best "AI experience" in a boardgame, that I have ever had. The relentless waves of aliens just kept coming and the special effects brought the Xeno-Greys closer to start spawning the attack force closer. Even the Xeno-Greys joined the assault when the alphas moved them.

Unfortunately I lost 1 agent (Infiltrator) but still managed to survive/win the game, in the end knowing that I would have been wiped out if there would have been even 1 additional round.

Before I got this game, I noticed many people saying that the AI in this game would be more static and predictable (compared to GoW for example)... Well, after this mission, I´m convinced that when you start having multiple species on the game board, you can only anticipate somethings beforehand....

For example the card that activates All Aliens, made a ridiculously overpowered combo. The Xeno-Greys activated 2-3 Arachnos and made 1 of them reach my Marine, after that the Arachnos one by one chained attacks to the Marine successfully damaging her with evry hit and because of the chaining (they were standign in 3 different areas 1-1-1) managed to grab the Marine 3 spaces towards the alien ship....
I did eventually save the marine with the Hulk using all his ammo to wipe out the aliens from the area and the marine miraculously survived + threw smoke and fled to the safety of the base.

It was even fun to kill the Xeno-beast and see him do "Swarzenegger
" and stand up enraged : D

Overall the game works smoothly and has been an awesome experience. I look forward to get this to the table ASAP ( and I´m playing solo at the moment ^^.)

Cant wait to play this gem with my group!!!

If the praise was too much, feel free to correct me ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb

This isn't my favorite board game, Mage Knight takes the cake in that category.

But it's currently running in second place for me. I love this game, and love it more with each playthrough.

I'm planning on writing a review of this game (sometime in the next week) in comparison to other cooperative games I own and have been playing lately, games like Eldritch Horror/Defenders of The Realm/Ghost Stories/Robinson Crusoe/Myth. For the most part, I like all of the games that I previously mentioned and all have different strengths and weaknesses. Overall, I find Galaxy Defenders to be a superior game to all of those games, and one of the reasons is because of how the Alien intelligence plays out and how agents have to counterplay a spatial-relative attack/defense strategy. The intelligence of the aliens adds another layer of thematic enjoyment to the game that is loaded with theme.

I'm not really a fan of science fiction genre (it's OK for me) and still, I love the theme of this game. Maybe more so than any other game I've played so far. That's how well done it is.

I can't compare this to Gears of War because I've never played it. It's probably a more apt comparison given the games I just previously mentioned (given the similarity in mechanics), but those are the ones I own and have experience with. All I know is, right now I'm loving Galaxy Defenders more than any of them and I'm a fan for the long haul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Councilofthevoid wrote:

But it's currently running in second place for me. I love this game, and love it more with each playthrough.

Yeah, Mage Knight is my top solo game : ) but this game runs easily 2nd in that category (solo/co-op)

Robinson Crusoe is probably 3rd, since its so much better with multiple players ^^. though great solo aswell.

Still, MK and RC are so different games that I like to have the variety, when I feel I need to have some solo boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:
Councilofthevoid wrote:

Yeah, Mage Knight is my top solo game : ) but this game runs easily 2nd in that category (solo/co-op)

Robinson Crusoe is probably 3rd, since its so much better with multiple players ^^. though great solo aswell.

Still, MK and RC are so different games that I like to have the variety, when I feel I need to have some solo boardgaming.

I love variety in my gameplay too, and also there are times during the week I can get a Mage Knight game in, and there's times during the week I can't. It's definitely a massive time eater. It's true that none of the games that I mentioned, that I've purchased recently and been playing through, have similar gameplay mechanics and/or themes. So, it's hard to do a strict apples to apples comparison. But I find myself going back to Galaxy Defenders more than any other game I've purchased over the past few months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Councilofthevoid wrote:
Overall, I find Galaxy Defenders to be a superior game to all of those games, and one of the reasons is because of how the Alien intelligence plays out and how agents have to counterplay a spatial-relative attack/defense strategy. The intelligence of the aliens adds another layer of thematic enjoyment to the game that is loaded with theme.

You really should consider buying Gears Of War, because it is vastly superior in this aspect (and for the ammo management aspect).
Solo Dungeon twister is also excellent at managing the AI but it has closer to a puzzle-brain burning game.

GD is heavier than GOW and more "epic" with massive board and big missions. The agents are also more unique and interesting (especially the exclusives, IMO), and easier to recognize. The "theme" is a lot more appealing, especially if you're not a GOW player on computer.
But precisely, the "Alien AI" lacks a lot of things in GD. In enclosed spaces, for example, it is almost impossible to avoid stupid patern if you apply the rules "to the letter".
In GOW, the board and AI are perfectly made for that purpose.

Too bad GOW is a dead game. It would have deserved more missions and more miniatures (because they are gorgeous, but not enough to play with 4 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Anderson
msg tools
Hey quick question for you. When you play do you discard the mine tokens after they explode for the first time? I just recently started this mission again and saw that the rules does not say to discard the mine when it explodes.

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategic Variant wrote:
Hey quick question for you. When you play do you discard the mine tokens after they explode for the first time? I just recently started this mission again and saw that the rules does not say to discard the mine when it explodes.

thoughts?

Yes, they go BOOM! and disappear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.