Popular Tags: [View All]
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played a game recently and it went very badly for her, and we discovered why. The rule in the 2 player version where you have to have at least played 3 cards is fine, in most cases, but in this particular play through it was pretty bad for her. Here's how it went.

I was first player, so I played and got my card alone, so got to do both actions. Then my wife played and I got to piggyback on it, since I had the card in my hand. So she got to do 1 action and so did I. Then I played, and again got to play the card alone, so got both actions. Then she played, and I again got to piggyback on her card. So she got to do 1 action and so did I. Then I played my last card, and got it alone again, so got to do both actions. Then, since she had 3 cards in her hand, she got to play one card from her hand, alone and got to do both actions.

Then when she was first player, essentially the same thing happened again. She played, I piggy backed. Then I played alone. She played, I piggy backed. I played alone. Then she played alone. I played alone, and was out of cards. Again I got 3x double / 2x single, and she got 2x single, 1x double. 8 to 4 actions.

Then when I went first one turn 3, it was a repeat of turn 1, and I thought she was going to throw her coal at me. Thankfully, turn 4 went better for her, or I'm sure I'd have a brick token lodged in my skull right now.

So all total (on the first 3 turns), I got 3x double actions, and 2x single actions (8 actions). She got 2x single actions, and 1x double action (4 actions). This is worse than when playing a 4 player game, where you will always get to play at least 2 cards and get to use the double actions. There's no situation in a 4 player game that you will only get to play 3 cards, and only get to use 1 of those alone as a double action card. At worst, you might end up only playing 2 cards as double, and 3 as a single, but never the 1 double / 2 single situation (at least I can't think of how that would happen).

So we made it a house rule that if the other player runs out of cards, and you have more than 1 card in your hand, you get to play one of those 2 randomly from your hand (opponent blindly picks one of them for you) and you get to take both actions on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All that means is that you are much better at predicting what your wife is going to do than she is at predicting what you are going to do. In the 2 player game, how you do is very much dependent on predicting what your opponent is going to do and trying to choose roles that help you but are not predictable to your opponent.

Also, in the 4 (or 3) player game it is definitely possible to have as few as 3 actions in a building round. You play your 3 roles and your opponents have the same roles. And you don't have any of theirs. Not likely but technically possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodenman wrote:
All that means is that you are much better at predicting what your wife is going to do than she is at predicting what you are going to do. In the 2 player game, how you do is very much dependent on predicting what your opponent is going to do and trying to choose roles that help you but are not predictable to your opponent.

Also, in the 4 (or 3) player game it is definitely possible to have as few as 3 actions in a building round. You play your 3 roles and your opponents have the same roles. And you don't have any of theirs. Not likely but technically possible.

Exactly that. That's intrinsically part of the game design itself and how to plan your choice of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.