Subject: Mitosis action card how does it really work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fredrik S
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
Hi.

I just got Smash up and SFDF delivered and have now played two times.

There is the mitosis action card that I really don't understand how to play.

The card says:
"Choose your minion in play. Play a copy of that card from your hand as an extra minion"

I interpret that I would need the exact same card in my hand in order to play that action.

But looking up what mitosis is (wiki), "Mitosis is the process, in the cell cycle, by which a cell duplicates into two genetically identical daughter cells."
Meaning that out of 1 minion there is now be 2 minions of the same. Not just playing the same minion from my hand.
Using mitosis should not cost a single extra card except the action card itself.

If it would say "Choose your minion in play. Play a same named minion from you hand as an extra
minion" then I would understand it better, but that is not what mitosis is.

does anyone have any better explanation for me on how this card works?

cheers
fredrik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm having a real hard time understanding what the confusion here is. In your mind what is the difference between what they have:

"Choose your minion in play. Play a copy of that card from your hand as an extra minion"

and what you said

"Choose your minion in play. Play a same named minion from you hand as an extra minion"

I mean the point is they are trying to replicate the "flavor" of Mitosis by having 2 of the same minion where there was only 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're (way, way) over-thinking this. There was one minion, now -- pop! It divides into two "genetically identical daughter minions". The fact that the second one was in your hand really doesn't matter. You may as well quibble that the card should only work when played on single-celled minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rolser wrote:
The card says:

Quote:
If it would say "Choose your minion in play. Play a same named minion from your hand as an extra minion" then I would understand it better...

Though you may see a distinction here, a same-named minion is exactly the same as a copy of a minion.

Quote:
But looking up what mitosis is (wiki), "Mitosis is the process, in the cell cycle, by which a cell duplicates into two genetically identical daughter cells."

The cards do what they say, without regard to the real world or language definitions. I can't use the Wikipedia description of Pluto to claim that a space exploration game plays differently.

A less facetious example: there's a giant eagle card for the The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game titled "Born Aloft." It should be "Borne Aloft" (the eagle lifts an ally from play back into your hand). Would you try to change the effect or wording of the card to match the title?

Smash Up is much more straightforward than people seem to think. 90% of all issues in my experience can be resolved with "Read the card. That's what happens."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik S
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
Thanks all.

Of course I over think it sometimes but if you swallow everything without question how fun is that?

I'll play mitosis only if I have the same minion in my hand. And not trying to make up some other cool copy action out of it.

cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Mitosis even if you don't have a copy of the card in your hand. It just would have no effect.

(Reading this thread, I was tempted to say with a straight face: "No no no. It means you make a photocopy of the card, cut it out, put it in your hand, and then play it like a normal card.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused about the whole dinosaur faction! Aren't dinosaurs extinct?

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.