Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For my last play I decided to try out the team I thought I was least likely to enjoy playing, the Paragons. Their stats are one to everything, and when involved in a contest you can bench an uninvolved figure they get +2 to the contest. It's a risky proposition as your opponent scan always cheat and cancel the contest.

My Upgrades:

Brick: Bruisers can take 1 uncancellable damage to prevent being knocked down.

Pain/Gain: Before a contest, uninjured figures can take a damage to gain +1 to that contest.

My Ringer:

T-Bone: Heals all damage at the beginning of your turn.

Sound like an awesome combo? I'm here to tell you: IT IS. Of course, I zeroed out my cash to get it all, T-Bone being the worst of it at 6 since one of the other players was the Valkyries, who would have loved him as well.

There's just something about being able to pump your contest by 3 before it starts. I also enjoyed benching wounded figures to heal them up between periods. Hail Mary allows you to bring back what you like, and where you like, so it's extra good with these Angels.

The other true test of how good the ability was that this was a 4 player game. I had to pick my spots, and inevitably some contests were cheated away. I learned to use the ability, or mix thereof with Pain/Gain, on 2s and 3s more often simply because by default I think it is best to take care with your 4s and 5s. I never did get to try it out against a beefier ringer, as I thought the team ability + Pain/Gain + Booster Bru would be EVIL; it's vulnerable to upset, so I'd likely wait to make sure they had burned that first before I tried it.

I think their ability would be even better in 2p play, even without Pain/Gain, though I'd be sad not to have T-Bone. On a side note I always thought T-Bone would be too vulnerable without Brick, and I still kind of feel that way.

All things said, I would definitely return, even without a perfect setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Groovy!

What were the final scores, if you recall? Any other highlights from the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Groovy!

What were the final scores, if you recall? Any other highlights from the game?

We stopped a the end of the 3rd as a player had to leave, and ultimately was out anyway. 1st (Me ) was in low 40's, second about 5 behind that, and 3rd was teens, while the newbie scored none. It's also interesting that we ended in order from most experienced to least experienced.

The other notable interaction was my first outing against someone using Pandamonium.

That's one evil ringer. In a situation where it's a tight race for first, initiating against that panda is awful; and I prefer to react often if I can, so he seems built to try and deny that. I managed to kill him, which seems to be the best course of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.