Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I'm no friend of "house rules", but in this case could be

First game, and sure it's one of the game's challenges to do as best as you can with that little money you have. However, my impression is that this might be a bit too restrictive; there are so many things you could do but cannot because of lack of money. Maybe a bit more money could even speed up game flow somewhat?

Has anybody tried with, say $12, or $15 income instead of only 10? Think 20 would be too much ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hesitate to add more money - my guess is that the costs for the different actions were balanced with the base of $10 one receives. However, I like the restrictions/limits of actions based on the $10 received - I've spent almost nothing on some turns to save up for a big turn the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your view!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andre spil
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
we have tested the game a hundred times and at the start of the game you have a feeling of short money but at the end you have enough.

if you play the game with more money every area will be developed and that is something we dont like in a game.
or all players buy an extra refinery and so on.

you can play different strategies in the game with the money you have.

build 5 refineries and go for the majoreties in shares. enough money.

drill several times for oil, pay 8 money and go for the wildcatters chips,
spare money like larry wrote is a good tactic to do more building and oil actions in your next turn in one area. pick an area with two wildcatters chips and develope it on your own and go for the strategie of 5 wildcatter chips and score 30 point at the end of the game.

if youre short in money,
pick area cards with money or pay with shares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your hints, André, and who would know this best if not you.

Was just my first impression; we'll go on with $10 income!

Cheers,
Ferdi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
We find ourselves cashing in stock for $ quite often. The decisions can be downright painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andre spil
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
we understand the feeling of spending 3 shares for 1 money is painful.

This is how we developed the game.
we have also tested it several times with 12 money instead of 10 and its possible, you only develop more oilfields and build more refineries.
only like i said we like it in a game wenn you cant develop everything.
i only want to say that players can play every strategy they want to play in spite of the 10 money rule.
the short of money counts for everyone.

paying with shares gives players the possibility to make that 1 building or oil action if youre short of money.
after the counting of shares at the end of the 5th round you can pay in round 6 and 7 with shares which are worthless because the other players have more shares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.