Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation is: 3 factories, 2 stations, and 1 complex. Does the card that grants you points if you have more factories than other types mean all other things combined? (3 is not greater than 3)

Or do you mean more than any other individual type, where it would count in this situation since 3 > 2 and 3 > 1 ?

(I don't have the cards with me for the specific wording, but I remember it viably could be interpreted either way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

In your example of 3 Factories, 2 Stations, and 1 Complex, you should earn the points for holding this card in your hand. Maybe I can add the word 'individual' to the text to make this more clear, so it reads: "Three points when there are more Factories than buildings or Roads of any other individual type in the city." Would this make the rule more clear? Or can you suggest a better phrasing for this rule? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification!

This is a hard concept to express clearly in the English language. I think any of the following would lead me to the same conclusion, from subtle to explicit. I personally like #2 best. The one you mentioned would likely also work, but I'm not sure the term individual type makes it perfectly clear there either. (I did it too in my original post, actually)

Three points when there are more Factories than Roads and buildings of each other type, counted separately.

Three points when Factories individually outnumber Roads and buildings of each other type.

Three points total if Factories outnumber Roads, outnumber Stations, and outnumber Complexes.

Just wanted to let you know I had zero problem with everything else. You elegantly stated scoring for buildings connected by road to another building type. I inwardly groaned when I first saw the picture of the connected buildings (and how that would be scored), but after reading it, I found it unambiguous.

Scoring by pairs was no problem for me, because I am literal minded and love the "count the triangle" puzzles. So, there are 2 AB pairs in "ABA". But I could see how it might use a little extra clarification to be absolutely sure.

Only one other clarification I'd suggest is that the card stating "destroy one or two [adjacent] buildings to make a road" isn't real specific that the buildings had to be adjacent. I almost used it to destroy two buildings in arbitrary places, but then I figured they should be adjacent and the road placed where they both. Rules lawyers would take that one to the cleaners, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this helpful feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.