4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Most underrated characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A M
msg tools
mb
Here's a thread to post the characters that you think don't get enough love. What characters does everyone seem to miss, and why?

Grey Ker - I think a lot of people look at his ability and think, "Meh, that's an interesting idea, but who cares?" Actually, there's a ton of nice tricks you can do with him. As a Wildlander, I've been dumping a bunch of stamina to move him, then hitting the pause button, and letting other people (Aurim with a Stamina potion, various other abilities) charge his stamina up. Then he can move halfway across the board with Fleet of Foot, take a shot, and still have his stamina full or nearly full. His heroic feat isn't amazing, but a generic +1 action is something I'll always be happy with.

Reynhart the Worthy - Nanok gets all the love, but this guy has one of the strongest basic abilities in the game. It basically averages to a free attack every six attacks - not only that, but you will virtually never get screwed missing a critical roll with this guy. Nanok may dish out the pain, but I generally prefer someone I can count on.

Landric the Wise - Even though he's got a really strong basic ability, his stats are so weak that it's hard to recommend him. Unless, of course, you make him a Geomancer, which patches his flaws (slow move, weak attack die) and gives him the bonus surge he needs to make sure that his heroic feat will always trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Krutzbek and Corbin are pretty good, but I never see them mentioned. They both allow a big change to damage movement over time. I also like the heroes that get free movement points, since its pretty common to not need to move very far in a turn. I do think a lot of combos are neglected because many players choose for a powerful single hero and not a good team combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
I also like the heroes that get free movement points, since its pretty common to not need to move very far in a turn.

I second this. We recently finished a PBF campaign with Brother Glyr, and I had previously underestimated that ability.

Otherwise, I think Tatianna is one of the more underrated heroes. She obviously works best as a Wildlander (or perhaps as the upcoming Bounty Hunter), but her Hero Ability shuts down a lot of the utility of Ranged monsters (especially those with Sorcery), and it also lets her stay further back, potentially keeping her safe from Melee monsters as well. Those Attributes are pretty terrible, however.

Sahla is also neat and possibly underrated as well. Since Healers typically don't have a lot tying them to certain weapon types, we had a mini campaign where Sahla carried around a Rune weapon, and for one turn he doubled as a second Runemaster with his Heroic Feat.

Lastly, I think Arvel Worldwalker doesn't get as much love as she should. She actually has a better chance than Lindel at passing attribute tests (at least, until she uses her Hero Ability, then any more that turn are worse), and the ability to have some fluidity with her class skills is very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter T
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
In our current campaign we are playing Jonas the Kind as Spiritspeaker and with Tempest (and his feat), he does a lot of AOE damage. Even in Act 2, Tempest is really a good skill to have.
Small note: we bought Jonas The Belt of Waterwalking which gives him +1 Willpower. He really needs that item to function well.

Challara is a little underrated. She's not really that good because of her 3 speed, but Brightblaze really helps all the heroes with his Pierce 1.

Corbin is imo also a little underrated. He is awesome as a Knight. Lots of stamina for Defend, Advance and Oath of Honor. His feat and ability are also defensive. The overlord really has a tough time killing him. He got even better with the new SON Shield that gives an extra grey die and the Stone Armor that gives two extra black dice from The Trollfens (total overkill)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.