Subject: Character commonality (not rarity) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be me, it may be odd distribution, but does anyone else find certain characters hard to find. I'm not talking about "is rare Prof X harder to find than common Loki", more have you found it harder to find ANY of a specific character in packs? We'll eliminate the 8 starter characters from this, because there is only 1 uncommon version of them in packs.

After opening ~90 packs, I have only found ONE Punisher card/die, ONE Doc Ock card/die and ONE Vibranium Shield card/die. Whereas I've pulled probably a dozen Silver Surfer, War Machine and Colossus versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Stryyder wrote:
It may be me, it may be odd distribution, but does anyone else find certain characters hard to find. I'm not talking about "is rare Prof X harder to find than common Loki", more have you found it harder to find ANY of a specific character in packs? We'll eliminate the 8 starter characters from this, because there is only 1 uncommon version of them in packs.

After opening ~90 packs, I have only found ONE Punisher card/die, ONE Doc Ock card/die and ONE Vibranium Shield card/die. Whereas I've pulled probably a dozen Silver Surfer, War Machine and Colossus versions.

Luck is luck. I have plenty of each of the ones you're missing after a single booster box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
Stryyder wrote:

Luck is luck. I have plenty of each of the ones you're missing after a single booster box.

Chalk it up to random distribution. I have four of the common Vibranium shields plus two of the uncommons, 3 Punisher and Dock Ock cards, but I have only 2 War Machine and Colossu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Williams
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they did this to promote trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A. Pollock
United States
springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i opened 90 packs and not one UC storm... but i got three rare Magnetos and one super rare wolvie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryyder wrote:

This is a commonly misunderstood area of probability. In fact, an even distribution would be extremely unlikely. Almost everyone will have certain cards they got many of and certain they got only very few of.

There is a simple random distribution and this is how it turns out for each person. It's not a WizKids scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 8 starter set characters as was already mentioned, after them Black Widow, Green Goblin, Mr. Fantastic and Wolverine should be the hardest to accumulate dice for as they don't have uncommon versions. They literally had less made than the other characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Stryyder wrote:

This is a commonly misunderstood area of probability. In fact, an even distribution would be extremely unlikely. Almost everyone will have certain cards they got many of and certain they got only very few of.

There is a simple random distribution and this is how it turns out for each person. It's not a WizKids scheme.

If you're planning on buying 60 or more boosters, you might want to get a whole gravity feed ( as opposed to buying boosters from different gravity feeds) as those seem to be only semi-random.
If you look at what people have posted about their complete gravity feeds you'll find that they all seem to have cracked 2+ of each type of dice (only the 8 characters from the starter set appear to be rarer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Stryyder wrote:

I'm finding that hard to believe, given how many people have posted on here (myself included) that they pulled a Super Rare Wolverine that came with a common Wolverine. The few that didn't get him that way got him with a common Dr. Doom.

There is still some randomness to the distribution, as to complement the OP's post after one gravity feed box I have 5 Punishers, 6 Vibranium shields and 6 Silver Surfers, but only got one Doc Ock, two Deadpool and two Colossus. However I think they are randomized in that the gravity feed boxes are set but you don't know which one you are getting.

Just a theory, but it feels like it has some validity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
Stryyder wrote:

I'm finding that hard to believe, given how many people have posted on here (myself included) that they pulled a Super Rare Wolverine that came with a common Wolverine. The few that didn't get him that way got him with a common Dr. Doom.

There is still some randomness to the distribution, as to complement the OP's post after one gravity feed box I have 5 Punishers, 6 Vibranium shields and 6 Silver Surfers, but only got one Doc Ock, two Deadpool and two Colossus. However I think they are randomized in that the gravity feed boxes are set but you don't know which one you are getting.

I don't think i've seen any reports of people opening any duplicate rares from a single gravity box. and most seem to be getting 8 duplicate uncommons as well as missing 8 uncommons. Seems like a bit of a pattern...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
152 packs here and I still don't have an uncommon surfer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:

With full boxes, yes I would expect a print run. But most likely the print run is broken up across boxes rather than there being set box compositions. In other words, you're likely to get a string of 20 cards the same as someone else, but yours could be at the top of your box and theirs at the bottom which makes the box overall cover a different section of the print run.

They may also have small print runs, say 20 packs long, which are mixed into each box to keep the boxes different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i got a ton of punisher and venom but no nightcrawlers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I opened 2 gravity feeds and got 4+ dice of every character except Wolverine. I only got 3 of him.

I got 9 Lokis, and 8 of a few characters.

So over all I am pleased with the dice distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.