Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How will the Heroquest 25th Anniversary Edition end? My question is, did it ever really get started? To date, I have yet to see any evidence that this concept has any hopes of becoming a reality. I will let others comment on the many reasons why.

For the sake of all of those that did back the kickstarter, I hope I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaius wrote:
How will the Heroquest 25th Anniversary Edition end? My question is, did it ever really get started? To date, I have yet to see any evidence that this concept has any hopes of becoming a reality. I will let others comment on the many reasons why.

For the sake of all of those that did back the kickstarter, I hope I'm wrong.

someone backed it on the kickstarter? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to put money on a scenario that involves pigs, lawn dart accidents, a TSA body scanner team that plays the "meow" game from Super Troopers, a local cable channel scenery painting show, zombie Chris Farley, ELO doing a jazz version of "Morning Train (Nine to Five)", one-wheeled motorcycles, death and carnage, cheesecake, cats and dogs living together, and a Roseanne Arnold blowup doll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will get made and shipped to lots of places. However, GZ will line their pockets by selectively not shipping individual packages and claiming them seized by customs. They will refuse to ship a replacement. At least it will cross their minds to do this.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Emery
msg tools
mb
The game will ship on time and be the best game ever. It will be so good eventually everyone will own a copy. World courts will rule it is cruel and unusual punishment to try and deny anyone a copy of the game, invalidate any existing Trademarks and Copyrights, and all of Moon Design and Hasbro will be thrown in jail.

Every tyrant in the world will have their aggressive urges met by playing HQ25 ushering in an unprecedented era of world peace. All of the countries of the world will get together and elect Dionisio Supreme leader of the world, beginning a Utopian Era that will last 10,000 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOtherRurik wrote:
The game will ship on time and be the best game ever. It will be so good eventually everyone will own a copy. World courts will rule it is cruel and unusual punishment to try and deny anyone a copy of the game, invalidate any existing Trademarks and Copyrights, and all of Moon Design and Hasbro will be thrown in jail.

Every tyrant in the world will have their aggressive urges met by playing HQ25 ushering in an unprecedented era of world peace. All of the countries of the world will get together and elect Dionisio Supreme leader of the world, beginning a Utopian Era that will last 10,000 years.

I think that ties in nicely with my scenario.

EDIT:
@future scooter: thanks for the idea! now this thread will be really confusing as posts reference posts that haven't happened yet!

@future apocalyp: I assumed he meant one post predicting the outcome. I mean, it's BGG, side discussions are gonna happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pinkymadigan wrote:
TheOtherRurik wrote:

I think that ties in nicely with my scenario.

HEY!!!! you cheated he said only one post!!!!

Damn now I have to make my prediction or for ever hold my peace.

I predict many will cry and some will rejoyce. There will be much complaining about THE man nobody admitting fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Campbell
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see one of two things happening.

Scenario 1) GameZone laughs all the way to the bank, thinking that they are in the clear. Once production is underway, Hasbro and Games Workshop both serve them with a cease and desist order and are required by European courts to release production samples for evaluation in a copyright suit against the company. Whether GameZone fights the suit or not is irrelevant, because the game found to be a poorly translated copy of Hasbro and Games Workshop's original game and thus subject to copyright laws. The whole thing is halted, GameZone is sued to death, and backers are unfortunately left with the bill and a sad notification that the company was not able to revive HQ from the clutches of the evil American corporations (or some other nonsense).

Scenario 2) GameZone skirts copyright laws by changing enough (or outright packaging a completely different game) and is allowed to produce the game. Unfortunately, GameZone completely ignored that Hasbro owns the trademark in other countries, alongside MDP's ownership in the US and other possible ownership in other countries. Distribution is challenged and the product is deemed counterfeit goods in nearly every country they sold to. In the US, GameZone lines all its ducks in a row by mailing all of the packages at once in similar packaging, which all enter the US through a handful of ports. This makes border security's job in seizing the counterfeit good hilariously easy as packages all arrive at the same time and have the same appearance, and all of the games are destroyed, unfortunately leaving backers with nothing. Distribution looks similar in pretty much every other country except for Spain.

In either scenario, a handful of copies will still exist and make their way to eBay. In scenario 1, a few copies are squirreled away and leaked for sale later (by Dion or others). in scenario 2, a handful make it through customs, along with the copies sold in Spain. And in either scenario, backers get burned because, I'm sorry, I see no way out of this for GameZone. They have dug themselves in too deep and there is nothing they can do at this point that will protect them from legal action from someone. Every single action makes them liable for something, and the only thing left is for them to try and make an endzone run and risk dissolving the company.

How's that?

P.S. You realize that everyone could just edit their posts to include replies, right? This whole one post thing might not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A) GameZone releases non-HQ product. Ships out miniatures to backers, possibly along with other game components. Updates potraying GameZone as victims plus references to modern day celebrities are involved.

B) Dionisius (sp) disappears, leavings sculptor unpaid, etc. etc. GameZone backers find out the GameZone address is a mail forwarding box and cannot find him. This may have already happened.

C) Alibaba.com US goes IPO. Numerous copies of Warhammer Quest become available. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine fine. Here we go again.

1: Gamezone Hides the rules till the 11th or later hour. Thus blockading any attempts to ascertain if theres even a case against them and also preventing backers from getting suspicious that it isnt HeroQuest. Despite GZ saying its not HQ.

2: The rules are shown to be totally alien to the original and read more like Warhammer Quest. Or an aglomeration of the two. GZ has stated this at one point.

3: The game is completed, possibly a little off the December mark, and ships.

4: Moon Design acts based on what they know. Heres where hiding the rules may damage GZ. MD would be dead to rights to consider blockading the games US shipment rather than risk an unknown. 50/50 on how that swings.

5: US backers maybee get their game. Everyone else probably gets their game.

6: Some backers go ballistic when they realize that this isnt HeroQuest or that the minis may require some fine assembly. Everyone else is ok to happy with what they got. Possibly because all they wanted were the minis and scenery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First the easy prediction - the release date will slip, and slip, and slip.
Finally, some time in 2015 a rather pathetic, anticlimactic, mishmash of a game will be released that is not really Heroquest at all. The figures will be good, but the game will be pretty poor, it will be overpriced, and only realistically available in Europe.
The really sad thing about this whole sorry episode is that it makes the much yearned for development of a HeroQuest 2 like happened for Descent, an even more remote possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict a 30th Anniversary edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that GZ will release the game with a funny rulebook, where every rule will not made sense at all, so any final resemblance to HQ will too generic to get a case going and HASBRO will decide not to sue.

The game is distribuited all over the world except US, but after a couple of months and seeing not action in HASBRO part, MD get to an agreement with GZ and US backers receive their games.

With the official rules, the game will be completely broken, with lots of components doesnt being used at all.

There will be also "fan" rules that will be posted in several fan sites as variant or optional rules with links here in the variants forum, and with these rules the game will be a 7-7.5 (good but not great)

Some people will complain that they dont get the "good" rules directly in the box, but with an internet connection and a printer this can be solved easily and knowing that the alternative is not game and not money, most backers will accept that solution without many fuss.

But the important thing will not be the game itself, but the story of the creation and production of the game. There will lots of lessons learned and its consequences are a lot of harder to predict

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Solo
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A) Gamezone makes the HeroQuest game with several months of feedback from fans and lawyers (along with phone calls to Hasbro Iberia) to ensure that they are making rules that do not infringe on copyright. Gamezone mails game first to Spanish customers. Waits for response from Hasbro, if no response, than mails game to Europe, and again waits. If no response, communicates to Moon Design, requesting permission to sell game in US. If Moon Design gives permission, GZ mails game. If they don't, GZ mails box with no HeroQuest symbol on the box and none in the rules. Everyone is happy because the rules were developed over a long time to achieve the maximum possible enjoyment while still remaining legal.

OR

B) Gamezone realizes with the guidance of lawyers that the risk of receiving a lawsuit from Hasbro is too high. They invest months and months in creating a rulebook that has several versions. One with very similar rules to the 1989 original HeroQuest. One with arena style rules. One with co-op rules. One with single-player solo rules. This creation stage is kept forever in Beta, and new fan rules and creations are continually being added to online forums.
These rules are NEVER added to the game box. The game box is mailed to all backers with NO RULES included! An unofficial but nicely polished and perfectly translated (due to fan feedback) copy of the rules is made available on file sharing networks by fans. If any game boxes are seized during shipping for any country, shipping to that country will be stopped and and then started again with a game that has HeroQuest removed from the Gamebox, and anywhere else. All other components besides the rules will be in the box. GameZone will continue to support the game with new tiles, miniatures, furniture and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
- The game will be shipped on June 2015. There will be much confusion as they are not shipped at the same time, and many games will be delayed.

- Hasbro and Games Workshop will not act.

- Some will be happy and some don't. The ones who are not happy will be most active and they will complain about how terrible rules are, typos and how unbalanced the game is. They will be backed by hudreds of People who have never seen the game.

- The happy People will focus on the good looking Components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It will never exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'm pretty sure it will end like this:

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity. [this sums up the forums at least!]
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert.

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be the bad guy in Heroquest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Campbell
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
mattprice wrote:

Can we get a translation for the poetry impaired?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
ScooterinAB wrote:
mattprice wrote:

Can we get a translation for the poetry impaired?

The quick translation: Sh*t's gonna be f*cked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here is my completely accurate prediction:

GZ will realize that the game business is tricky and full of legal complications. They will then decide to get into the fresh fruit/produce business. They will ship not only on time but early. Backers will be surprised to open large brown boxes full of fresh juicy lemons. Some backers will whine and moan and complain. Some will make lemonade.

The end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enric portell
msg tools
mbmbmb
petercox wrote:
Alright Everybody, here's a fun game.

Everyone gets one post each.

Make your prediction as to how the whole Heroquest Anniversary Edition will end.

Will it be tears of regret, or smiles and claps on the back all round?

At stake is the vitally important possibility of being able to say 'I told you so' on an internet forum to people you will likely never actually meet.

I will start:

Quote:
"My personal guess is it will be produced and shipped, but will be filled with errors and mistranslations and blunders and things that simply don't work or make sense, forget about the balance in scenarios.

The people who paid a lot of money to order it will argue themselves into oblivion that it is fine and totally playable and with a bit of work is exactly the same as the original Heroquest.

Then, when the 3-5% of them that actually get around to converting the game to normal Heroquest, they will realise that Heroquest is actually incredibly basic, easy and not really as interesting as they remembered. Then they will think: well, at least I got the minis, I can use them in other games!

Then another game will come out that has better minis and is actually a better game and they will think: dammit, I kinda sort of wish I'd just saved my money and got that instead."

That's my guess. How about you?

haha, i laughed a lot with that XD. I hope it doesn't become true, but it could...

-I think they will produce nice miniatures, a nice artwork and a beautiful story, since they seem to be good on that (his miniatures are good, by experience) and they have showed very good ideas
The game rules will also be nice (since they have a good base to start with) but with some strange and unbalanced things that will be immediately ignored and houseruled

-The campaign will have some good and original scenarios with lots of history (the ones they started to prepare first, with energy and hope) and the rest will be repeating, poorly tested and unbalanced (the ones they have probably not even started to test).

On the other hand, all that good things will be eclipsed by their way of "doing things":
-they will not be ready on winter 2014, and the game will arrive with a long long delay, without news and information, and, as you say "filled with errors and mistranslations and blunders and things that simply don't work or make sense"

-The name inside the box will not be the one you choosed, and you will have a box with the name Mr. Dickson for ever at home

-If u picked add-ons, some things will not arrive, and you will get others for free, in a chaotic way that will need months until everybody gets what ordered

-Hasbro, GW and all the other characters on that epic history... will never act or do nothing, and everybody who predicted demands and GZ closing and giving all their money to lawyers will remain on silence... until next GZ crowdfunding, where they will wake up again from the shadows and predict the same thing again and again until the end of the world in an endless vicious circle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tencui Dao
msg tools
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
It will never exist.

Yeah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patxo Sans Sampietro
Spain
01009 VITORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geirerik wrote:
- The game will be shipped on June 2015. There will be much confusion as they are not shipped at the same time, and many games will be delayed.

- Hasbro and Games Workshop will not act.

- Some will be happy and some don't. The ones who are not happy will be most active and they will complain about how terrible rules are, typos and how unbalanced the game is. They will be backed by hudreds of People who have never seen the game.

- The happy People will focus on the good looking Components.

-It will take them 6 months to finish all the parcels

-I think they will have to act somehow. Specially Hasbro who has the money.

-They will indeed moan. And painters will paint and be happy.

-Finally after all that SPACE CRUSADE soap opera will start!! (By GZ Dioniso of course) :arrrh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreammaker DreamWorld
msg tools
I will have the game in my hands on my Bday in March 2015...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilio De Sousa
Spain
Algeciras AKA: 'Arjesiráh'
Cadí
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sandman77 wrote:
I will have the game in my hands on my Bday in March 2015...

whistlewhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.