Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew McGrady
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Since we won't have a new Tactical Twister until next week I thought I'd throw something out to fill the void.

Using the Unit Reference Sheet available at arsvictor.com design an army.

Show us your:
Vanguard Units
Reserve Units
HQ

What's your plan for Scouting? What's your plan for your first move or two? Assume you're playing Red...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This is a tough question. And one that is central to the uniqueness of the game.

And then there are a ton of follow-on questions. Do you put your HQ on a strong unit (thus protecting it, but creating a very tempting target for your opponent)? Or do you put it on a weak unit and hide...

Which units to you put in reserve? Ideally, you'd like fast moving units there - but shouldn't the fast units start on the board so they can grab glory early?

And how many units do you take? Too many and you'll be spreading your cards around just to move them into place. Too few and you may find yourself with the wrong cards.

A richness of decisions....

For me, I like a fairly mobile play style. So

Vanguard: 1 x Incarna + 1 x Corvettes + 2 x Amazons (total 22)
Reserve: 2 x Wardens + 2 x Archons + 2 x Corvettes (total 26)
HQ: Wardens (3)

Total 51 (leaving me with 29 Glory)

The strategy it to take two of the Glory Points and have the Amazons fire over the friendly troops...

Of course, no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bott
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a great thread on building armies in here somewhere, from before the new Ancient Hegemony units were added to the game. Some solid advice from a veteran player or two, plus Steve and Aly.

My 'Ark' build from that thread:

Quote:
Van: Brute, Lancer, Light, Heavy (total 24)
Res: Jump, Assault, Medium, Cavalry (HQ) (total 28)

Starting Glory: 28 I think, but it's getting late and I'm doing this from memory.

It is intended as a Blue build, to respond to whatever Red does as a counter. It's got one of everything, an idea that was poo-pooed by Jackson but seemed effective in practice.

The trick was to Scout a terrain-heavy flank and more open terrain in the center and opposite flank. The Brute and Light went on one suit in the terrain and the Lancer and Heavy went on the other.

The rest of the dudes would get deployed as needed, per situation to counter appropriate enemy deployments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.