Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can an AA gun attack during the Land Combat step and also fire during Ground Support? A careful reading of the rules implies - but does not explicitly state - that this is possible:

If an AA unit uses anti-aircraft fire, turn it face-down at the end of
the step. If firing against aircraft providing ground support, turn the
AA unit face-down after Advancing after combat (see 11.16.5).

I have 2 6-1 GAR infantry corps and 1 heavy 3-2 AA division in Odessa. I am planning on attacking an adjacent 4-1 Rumanian MTN infantry corps in clear terrain and clear weather and also using 6 points of shore bombardment from my Black Sea fleet. There are 2 Rumanian air units that can fly 5 points of defensive ground support to the hex.

Initially, I assumed that if I wanted to use my AA guns to shoot at enemy aircraft, I would need to hold them back from the attack and only attack with the infantry corps, but reading through 22.4.2 implies that I can use them on the offensive and shoot at aircraft during the Ground Support step.

If my understanding is correct, I am looking at a minimum of 21:8 (assuming I roll a 1 on 4 dice, allowing 4 points of ground support through, which has a 35% probability of occurring).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, it can. This is one of the chief advantages of an AA gun over, say, an AT gun.

BTW, congratulations on your careful rule reading. You have picked up some fairly nuanced items in an impressive manner. Most people learn these things the hard way. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philreh wrote:
Yes, it can. This is one of the chief advantages of an AA gun over, say, an AT gun.

BTW, congratulations on your careful rule reading. You have picked up some fairly nuanced items in an impressive manner. Most people learn these things the hard way. blush

This conclusion is supported by the FAQ, a very similar case (Not exactly the same facts but similar idea) is 22.4-17

Q22.4-17 22.4.2 Option 3 A German stack including a 3 strength
Heavy AA declares an attack on a Russian
unit. The Soviets fly in ground support.

The AA unit fires at the Russian aircraft.
Can it then take part in the land combat?

Answer

Land combat is one step. AA units
shooting against enemy ground support
are turned face down after ALL land
combats, and thus can take part in the
land combat (and defending AA do not
give +1 to the attacker for being face-down
in this land combat step).

Date 15/01/1997
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses. Does that mean that artillery can bombard and also take part in land combat? There is a similar clause under that section of the rulebook:

An ART that bombards is turned face-down after Advancing after
combat (see 11.16.5) regardless of the combat result. An ART that
bombards (rather than attacking normally) cannot advance after
combat.

The first sentence is similar to the one under AA guns which would imply that it functions the same way. The second sentence can be read in two different ways. It can be suggesting that like ENG or winterized units, a player can choose not to use its special function and ignore the penalty. In this case, if an ART does not bombard, but only attacks normally, it can advance after combat.

OR

The sentence can be implying that an ART can either bombard or attack normally.

Further reading:

There is an ambiguous statement at the beginning of the Field artillery section on page 62 which states,"You can use an ART unit exactly like any other land unit.
However, a face-up in-supply ART unit can bombard instead (its
combat factors are circled in grey).
"

Instead of what? Attacking? The sentence is left hanging, unless ADG intended for the word "instead" to mean "also", as in, "You can use an ART unit exactly like any other land unit. However, a face-up in-supply ART unit can also bombard."

OR

"You can use an ART unit exactly like any other land unit. However, a face-up in-supply ART unit can bombard instead of attacking."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No, artillery can't both bombard and attack--just one or the other. So the second of each option is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.