Popular Tags: [View All]
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing some looking at negative comments at a game I enjoy (a reasonably straightforward abstract) and I see a comment about it being "too complicated". Really? I've taught it to kids under 10. Then I see another comment about it having "the worst rulebook." I think it is all of 8 pages, with illustrations, play examples, etc.

Do you ever look at comments (good or bad) and wonder WTF? Are they even playing the same game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often get a kick out of the low-star reviews on Amazon for games like Catan and Ticket to Ride. That usually makes for some good reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find negative comments tend to remind me why I like a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am stunned sometimes by the negative comments people leave for the game where it is obvious from what they say I can deduce they've only played it once. They gave it a low rating because they didn't enjoy their first run through and they would pick anything to be the "fault" of the game that makes the game "unfun" for them.

Like too much shuffling in Dominion, too much luck in games that obviously involve a lot of card draws and etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am stunned sometimes by the negative comments people leave for the game where it is obvious from what they say I can deduce they've only played it once. They gave it a low rating because they didn't enjoy their first run through and they would pick anything to be the "fault" of the game that makes the game "unfun" for them.

Like too much shuffling in Dominion, too much luck in games that obviously involve a lot of card draws and etc.

All of which seems perfectly valid to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
I often get a kick out of the low-star reviews on Amazon for games like Catan and Ticket to Ride. That usually makes for some good reading.
Wow, yeah there's not many of them, but they are funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had that sometimes as well.
I once read a comment from a game designer that complained that the game took over 4 hours to play. My wife and myself introduced the same game to two friends and we played it in ~2 hours (with explanation and 2 newbies). This really left me puzzled.

But the worst is the self-appointed rating police giving 1 ratings with comments like "balance to counteract the fanboy 10s". Those comments just add to the noise without adding any real information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

Which brings to mind the infamous 2 start review for Ticket to Ride:

"Beautifully designed and nicely made but simple to play? I don't think so. It has way too many pieces and far too many choices, and frankly I'm not sure that I understand the goal -- which isn't what is expressed in the rules. I have done a number of those train rides and the routes don't actually go where some of the existing AMTRAK trains (and Canadian Trains) go. Versimilitude is valuable. My opinion is that it needs to be simplified and modified...although my opinion is obviously in the minority. My 8 and 10 year old grandsons liked it but we played with rules that we made up to suit our idea of how it should be played. And then we spent 10 minutes sorting out the pieces, the cards, and replacing everything in the box. Mix the cards up and you are doomed!"

Yeah...don't mix up those cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really depens on the person. Some people (ok many people) say that Mage Knight has complex rules and is nigh impossible to learn. I never had that problem with Mage Knight. I guess that when you play more and more complex games, some wargames for example. You get experienced in general ( reading the rules, understanding mechanics, strategy etc.)

This is why, when I read comments on Boardgames, I know that some people have different opinions, which may be based on their current experience with boardgames etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thankful for the really bad reviews (justified or not)

... negativity has a physiological effect on me. And nothing cools my game buying addition impulses faster then reading a few page fulls of crappy reviews. It makes me patient and wait for a chance to play before I buy.

I know it's a trick, but it works for me.

*EDIT* I meant to say "psychological" above. but I suppose maybe both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benji
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
Do you ever [...] wonder WTF? Are they even playing the same game?

you must be new here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What really stupefies me are the "10" ratings for games which are clearly a complete mess - incomplete rules, broken gameplay, component issues, bad support, etc. Do these people live in an alternate universe where that game got fixed or what ?

I always like to read the comments of the people who rate a game 5 or 6 more than people who rate it 10 because a 5 or a 6 means it's a decent design but not for them, so they usually point out why they didn't like the game.
If those are the things that bother me too, that's valuable info and if those things don't bother me, it means I should like the game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Kowalewski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm often amazed by some "1"'s with somewhat this comment:
"We played a game for a first time and it was horrible. How could this game be rated so high. Nothing worked in this game. After the game we realized that we had read rules wrongly."

Come on, you've just rated your intelligence and not the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only things that I don't agree on are ratings before the game is published.
A prototype, no matter how finished still isn't the game.
As a designer or publisher I shouldn't vote on my own products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between people who leave negative comments, even dismissive ones, and someone acting like Floyd Petrovski by looking at negative comments on a game they supposedly love, I find the latter more stupefying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbrax wrote:
10's always tened to be the designer, the designer's family or the designer's friends commenting.

I give games, that I haven't designed, 10 ratings, and none of my family, or friends, are game designers either.

But then I actually rate games according to the suggested meanings of the ratings, not by some arbitrary personal criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't read user comments, but sometimes when I do, I pity the people that have been taught a game wrong, played with the wrong people, or had some extraneous reasons to have a preconception (good or bad) of the game, which totally soured their experience.

I especially pity the people giving 1s only because a game is popular (Android: Netrunner or X-Wing Miniatures Game). They surely have wrong expectations of the power their 1s have. shake

But I don't care about their opinions. They are not me, and anyone's opinion does not affect mine. On the other hand, the reasons why they have a certain opinion are normally useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

But then I actually rate games according to the suggested meanings of the ratings, not by some arbitrary personal criteria.

^^This. If you mouse over the "i" radio button next to the rating box, it gives you suggested criteria for scoring. Basically, if it's a game you consistently try to bring to the table and persuade others to play, then you ought to score it at the upper limit. If it's a game you need to be persuaded to play, the middle. A game that you avoid having to play? The basement. It's actually a decent albeit simple system and I think BGG scores would be more accurate if more people followed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephus404 wrote:
There's no accounting for taste, what difference does it make if someone's opinion regarding a particular game differs from yours? In fact, that's something about this site that really disturbs me, how many people will go out and insult someone because their opinion differs, like there's only one valid opinion and anyone who varies must die.

I did not name the game specifically so everyone wouldn't run to the comments and mock people. I appreciate differences of opinions (and, in some cases, seen my opinions of games change over many plays to reflect those of the "dissenters"), but there are times where I truly wonder what's going through people's heads.

Lighten up, Francis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings are utterly worthless.

The ones are often just bullshit to counter the tens which are likely about as credible as the ones.

Then you have fans rating games as tens for the same reasons the 'haters' are rating them ones, and that is really so THEIR game does well in the ratings.

In the end, the rating system is a joke. Most games will tend to be either 3s and you didn't care for it, or 7s and you liked it. It's rare a game makes it to a shelf at all, if it was a 1, and most games that are 10s don't need your reviews much, as they are so popular you have trouble finding it on the shelf at all.

I usually only want to play the games I have to special order at the store so I can be assured I get one. If it has dust on it, it likely isn't going to be much interest to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catherine the Great wrote:

Utterly worthless? I find the rating system to be a valuable tool, as long as you understand the biases held by the BGG community. And when people rate games and comment on them, it also helps me form a decision... even when they rate it contrary to how I rate it.

For instance, someone says a game is a boring, dry, mathy, deterministic, euro.... goes from wishlist to buy list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
Catherine the Great wrote:

Utterly worthless? I find the rating system to be a valuable tool, as long as you understand the biases held by the BGG community. And when people rate games and comment on them, it also helps me form a decision... even when they rate it contrary to how I rate it.

For instance, someone says a game is a boring, dry, mathy, deterministic, euro.... goes from wishlist to buy list.
I'm on your side, but I think now it's clear we are definitely, unequivocally wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When browsing through comments I sometimes come across one that makes me go WTF? Typically they're my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am stunned sometimes by the negative comments people leave for the game where it is obvious from what they say I can deduce they've only played it once.

I want to know if a game has anything about it that wouldn't want to make me play a second time.

I would far rather hear comments from the person who hated it from one play than the person who loved it after 500 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I am stunned sometimes by the negative comments people leave for the game where it is obvious from what they say I can deduce they've only played it once.

BGG scale is based on how much you want to play the game. If people only rated games after a few plays... there would be an overwhelming positive bias as people don't waste their time playing games they hate.

And honestly, BGG is too positive as it is. You practically need to read in-between-the-lines to understand what a reviewer is really saying about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.