Subject: Director Haas' Pet Project (Why 1 per Deck?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon 'Link' Copp-Millward
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So, while playing with a friend I played this card and thought it was way more awesome than it actually is (thinking it paid for asset advancement costs as well as upgrades, and possibly even rezing ice.) But, instead all it does is pay the few measly credits it would cost for you to install extra ice, under the stipulation it has to be in HQ or Archives?

Why is this thing 1 per deck? What am I missing that makes this thing too "powerful" to have more than 1 copy of? Right now, outside of maybe recovering archived Ice, it seems like a pretty subpar card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Dizon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not in HQ or Archives, it's FROM HQ or Archives and it saves you three clicks on top of the credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect you are right about it being sub-par, since I hardly ever see it used.

I think it's just that there are many agendas that are just better...and HB is the faction that already has a lot of 3/2s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Djuzuh wrote:
Think about how much you gain .

It's not really gamebreaking, you're right, but I think FFG is mostly afraid of what future decks could do with all that recursion.

That makes sense. I don't think I got to see it's full potential with any of the cards I had on hand. The deck I used was the straight out of the box "example" Deck I built on the fly.

I used the card as a 'wham bam done in 1' and used all 3 of my clicks to advance it right off the bat. It's probably a lot more impressive to score it at the start of your first click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great for recycling Adonis/Eve campaigns, possibly with Ash and/or SanSan Grid or discarded ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
It's great for recycling Adonis/Eve campaigns, possibly with Ash and/or SanSan Grid or discarded ice.

This is what I've found myself using it for. I run one in my HB deck, and I'm usually very happy to see it. Early game it's a little weak, but later in the game when there's some ice in archives (which there usually is since I run a lot of ice), being able to build a well-defended remote from scratch is a great perk. It's a safe place to put an Adonis from archives, or pick up an Ash and ice so you can drop an agenda down soon.

So yeah, not big and flashy. I do, however, find it routinely helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MEMANIAsama wrote:

Why is this thing 1 per deck? What am I missing that makes this thing too "powerful" to have more than 1 copy of? Right now, outside of maybe recovering archived Ice, it seems like a pretty subpar card.

I think it's more likely that way for flavour reasons than because it's too powerful. You can't have more than 1 pet project can you, that would just be a project...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MEMANIAsama wrote:
Why is this thing 1 per deck?

Because it's her PET PROJECT. You can't have 3 Top Priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Opie wrote:
MEMANIAsama wrote:

Makes sense. Just odd that flavor doesn't necessarily equal to game balance in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I think the designers liked the card, but feared decks created around three copies of it could be dangerous, uninteresting or unfun so they limited it to one copy so you would play it as a "normal agenda" instead of a cornerstone of a weird deck.

I remember being quite critical of the 1-of idea when it was first released but I think in Netrunner it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
MEMANIAsama wrote:
Opie wrote:
MEMANIAsama wrote:

Makes sense. Just odd that flavor doesn't necessarily equal to game balance in this case.

Yeah, Philotic entanglement is a perfect example of a card that you are rightfully not allowed to have 3 of.

Haas's pet project doesn't quite fit that mold, although you can potentially get 3 clicks and 3 credits worth of install savings out of her. That isn't trivial. I still choose to run Gila hands over her though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved pet project in my deck that took a store champ.

the main use of it was to score it to bring back from archives a sansan as an upgrade and an adonis or jackson. depending on how much money you have to rez ice, get that stuff in there too.

your opponent will be forced to go trash that stuff, which is huge.

without 3 adonises and 3 sansans in the deck, I'd find it hard to use.

setting up a new server from hq isn't all that exciting, I'd agree there.

I'm not sure if it should be limited, but it certainly is powerful in certain kinds of decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another benefit you get out of the Pet Project is it allows you to get the HB: EtF credit on a turn where you spend all three actions scoring an agenda. Small benefit compared to the new scoring server with an ice setup and upgrade of your choosing (SanSan, ASH, and Caprice love to come back), but every credit counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is that they started with the idea of "let's make a unique agenda in each deluxe expansion", and this was the power they decided to attach to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.