Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Tholian OP Kit Cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vtmobius vtmobius
msg tools
How much does an OP kit cost? I can't attend OP events extenuating circumstances. Is there anything cheaper than ebay? I can't see them costing that much. I'd be willing to buy one and split it with others. For more reasonable cost. I asked my two gaming stores nearby and got I don't know and a no reply from them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't buy OP kits unless you're a honest to goodness brick and mortar retail store. If you can get that, You can by it from alliance distributors for something like $40. OTherwise no, Wizkids OP kit policy prohibits stores from directly selling OP kits and contents, and anyone caught doing so is subject to sanction. So unlikely to find someone to step forward and say they're selling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's against Wizkids policy to sell these to consumers. Most stores probably don't want to risk ticking off Wizkids, so they don't do it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vtmobius wrote:
How much does an OP kit cost? I can't attend OP events extenuating circumstances. Is there anything cheaper than ebay? I can't see them costing that much. I'd be willing to buy one and split it with others. For more reasonable cost. I asked my two gaming stores nearby and got I don't know and a no reply from them.



I would love to get 4 Tholian ships and go web crazy but there is no way I'm paying 50+ bucks a ship (or worse) on eBay for something "fun" like that.

I have bit the bullet and bought a couple ships/templates/extras on eBay for what I consider a decent price (Fighters/Rav Laerst/Sutherland/Flagship/DS9 Template/Etc) and am thankful at least some people aren't being unrealistic with their auction prices however 99+ for a Ch'Tang is crazy.


If these don't OP ships and resources don't get a regular release eventually that is just a huge missed opportunity by Wizkids to make even more money.

Stargazer as an OP ship is a travesty!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizkids makes OP exclusive stuff for HeroClix all the time that never sees retail release. I see no reason why they would break their pattern.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
Wizkids makes OP exclusive stuff for HeroClix all the time that never sees retail release. I see no reason why they would break their pattern.


I wouldn't have a problem with it if the OP releases weren't becoming more interesting or better than the regular ones. I will trade that Kazon or Interceptor 1 release in a heartbeat for the Tholian or Stargazer (sight unseen!) one.

If I really want I'll just pay the price on eBay... zombie
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:
Stargazer as an OP ship is a travesty!


Better a ship that appeared in 1 quasi-flashback episode than the E, the Scimitar, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
You can't buy OP kits unless you're a honest to goodness brick and mortar retail store. If you can get that, You can by it from alliance distributors for something like $40. OTherwise no, Wizkids OP kit policy prohibits stores from directly selling OP kits and contents, and anyone caught doing so is subject to sanction. So unlikely to find someone to step forward and say they're selling.


Well WK says that stores can't resell them, but they have never really done anything to stop them. As soon as an OP kit is available you will see them for sale on Evilbay. In the very least, the stores make dummy accounts on selling sites that can't be traced back to the store and as far as WK can prove, it is someone who won the items and is selling them, so nothing can be done about it. The problem is that because it is harder to get OP kit items, they often sell for much more than they are worth, making it a really expensive way to go to get them.

Most of the kits have a set price to retailers of around $20-30 (it was as low as $16 for some events, don't let the inflated online prices fool you, except for the month 6 kit which had DS9 in it and cost a lot more). The problem is that a lot of them also have minimum purchase requirements. for example the Month 1 Dominion War kit required that you buy at least 4 starter sets and 4 of each of the original 8 expansion ships in order to qualify to even buy the OP kit. Granted that one was a bit high because they wanted stores to stock up and carry the game. The newer ones don't seem to have that kind of requirements. Find yourself a local shop that isn't running the events and offer to buy the requirements and pay for the kit if they will order it for you. A couple friends and I did that for all of the Heroclix Star Trek Sets and split the contents between us. We are looking at doing it for the upcoming borg event too since none of us really care for competitive play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:
Stargazer as an OP ship is a travesty!


Better a ship that appeared in 1 quasi-flashback episode than the E, the Scimitar, etc.


I am forced to agree but at the same time who wouldn't like to have an early career Picard? robot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:
vtmobius wrote:
How much does an OP kit cost? I can't attend OP events extenuating circumstances. Is there anything cheaper than ebay? I can't see them costing that much. I'd be willing to buy one and split it with others. For more reasonable cost. I asked my two gaming stores nearby and got I don't know and a no reply from them.



I would love to get 4 Tholian ships and go web crazy but there is no way I'm paying 50+ bucks a ship (or worse) on eBay for something "fun" like that.

I have bit the bullet and bought a couple ships/templates/extras on eBay for what I consider a decent price (Fighters/Rav Laerst/Sutherland/Flagship/DS9 Template/Etc) and am thankful at least some people aren't being unrealistic with their auction prices however 99+ for a Ch'Tang is crazy.


If these don't OP ships and resources don't get a regular release eventually that is just a huge missed opportunity by Wizkids to make even more money.

Stargazer as an OP ship is a travesty!


Amarillo design burea has small tholian ships and soon be coming out with larger scale versions. that is what I intend to use.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gabel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Better a ship that appeared in 1 quasi-flashback episode than the E, the Scimitar, etc.

Better still would be a new named version of a ship class we already have available for retail, or will have in the near future. That's what WK has done with the majority of their LEs in the past, don't know why they'd change that up in STAW.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vtmobius vtmobius
msg tools
Ferengi bay. I would hope they would offer the tholian and gorn ship for sale. It cost a lot to make steel injection molds only to offer it in limited quantity. I just wish it was offered at a reasonable price to add on to the game. For us fans.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure if you can wait awhile, that the demand for these ships will be low enough to cause the prices to drop. The Tholian and Gorn ships aren't very powerful, and seem to lack terribly useful upgrades, which will limit their desirability. I'd guess that by the beginning of July you'll see these ships going for less than $30 on eBay, as the hard-core gotta have it now people will have already paid $60-70 for a ship that they won't use very much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Progressive Gamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
Yeah, it's against Wizkids policy to sell these to consumers. Most stores probably don't want to risk ticking off Wizkids, so they don't do it.

Have you even looked at eBay. Stores sell op stuff all the time. Wizkidz dose nothing about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they apparently are banning some stores from carrying OP stuff for their games:

http://heroclix.com/announcements/wizkids-promotional-produc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Phillips
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I bought an op kit off eBay to break and resell. I had WizKids contact me to ask here I had got it from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.