Subject: Please help with worker placement: Targi vs Stone Age rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Merkley

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy worker replacement games. I am trying to introduce my wife to this mechanic, and hope she will take a liking to it also. I know that Targi and Stone Age are both considered light games, but which will come across as easier to learn? faster gameplay? not as many "take-that" decisions? Or are there other worker placement games for 2 that you recommend (she won't play agricola so all creatures big and small is out) Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Stone Age and have been playing it for years. I love Targi, but maybe that's because it's newer to me.

Targi is for only 2 players. Stone Age plays well with 2, but can play up to 4.

Targi takes about 25 minutes. Stone Age, about 50 minutes with 2 players.

Targi has words to read, Stone Age is language neutral.

You'll have to learn strategies to play both games well, but the rules for Stone Age are immediately clear, and it would be hard to make a mistake in rules even on your first play. You might have to reread the rules for Targi more than once . . . but the rule book is only six half-size pages long. Targi is quicker to explain.

With either of the games (playing Stone Age with only 2), there's a bit of take-that because if you're first player you can put your meeple(s) on the space you think your opponent really wants. But the next turn your opponent is first, so she can do the same to you.

My suggestion is to get Targi first. It's smaller and cheaper. If your wife likes it, you can get Stone Age later. Yes, they're both worker placement, but they're completely different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The two games are quite different. As Kathleen pointed out, Targi only plays two while Stone Age goes up to 4 so if you think you want to play also with others Stone Age might be a good pick.

I own both and like them a lot. Targi is a faster game, Stone Age takes a bit longer to play. You can play both online at both Boardgamearena and Yucata, for free, so if you want to try them out that's one way.

They are so different, even though both are worker placement games, it is difficult to say which one you will like the most. Look at video reviews on Youtube and pick whichever one you think looks best. Both are good games (in my opinion) and I think yo will have a good time with any one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Kurt
msg tools
Mikaelh wrote:

They are so different, even though both are worker placement games, it is difficult to say which one you will like the most. Look at video reviews on Youtube and pick whichever one you think looks best. Both are good games (in my opinion) and I think yo will have a good time with any one of them.

Targi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP1W8_iebgE

Stone Age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2sPhkVPT2k

Have fun watching the videos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All creatures is so much not like playing Agricola - time frame, doing everything, playing cards, all lessened a bunch. I'd go with All creatures over both of the above. The re-playability of ACGAS outweighs the other two. Stone Age is luck prone, whereas ACGAS is not, so no bummer moves that ruin your chances to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Kurt
msg tools
ropearoni4 wrote:
The re-playability of ACGAS outweighs the other two.

I disagree. At least not if You only have the base game. Maybe with the two expansions. Targi has IMO a lot of replay ability and I play it much more the ACBAS even so I have both expansions for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
All creatures is so much not like playing Agricola - time frame, doing everything, playing cards, all lessened a bunch. I'd go with All creatures over both of the above. The re-playability of ACGAS outweighs the other two. Stone Age is luck prone, whereas ACGAS is not, so no bummer moves that ruin your chances to win.

If you think Stone Age is too luck prone, go to boardgamearena a and play anyone rated good or above. They will kick your tail every time. Luck plays. Much smaller role than you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

If you think Stone Age is too luck prone, go to boardgamearena a and play anyone rated good or above. They will kick your tail every time. Luck plays. Much smaller role than you think.

Luck never is in my favor, so I get my tail kicked anytime I play a game. That being said, without a way to mitigate the bad rolls, I steer away from worker placement games with dice as the main mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are ways to mitigate the luck of the roll in Stone Age: Tools, using strategies that don't rely as heavily on resources than others and assigning more people to the task (and combinations of those). Besides, you roll that many dice during a game of Stone Age that it averages out 90% of the time anyway.

OP: Get both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahwala wrote:
There are ways to mitigate the luck of the roll in Stone Age: Tools, using strategies that don't rely as heavily on resources than others and assigning more people to the task (and cominations of those). Besides, you roll that many dice during a game of Stone Age that it averages out 90% of the time imo.

The bad luck I speak of it not always in the dice rolls, but that adds to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
ahwala wrote:
There are ways to mitigate the luck of the roll in Stone Age: Tools, using strategies that don't rely as heavily on resources than others and assigning more people to the task (and cominations of those). Besides, you roll that many dice during a game of Stone Age that it averages out 90% of the time imo.

The bad luck I speak of it not always in the

dice rolls, but that adds to it.

You can always just have a worker be worth a 3 and almost completely escape dice rolling

For OO: I'd say Stone Age. If you get more people over, you'll have a great game still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Merkley

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I know they are two different games. It is sounding like Targi is a little easier, and quicker, and the one I am going to get. If funds are sufficient I will throw in Stone Age. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kdwaterski wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I know they are two different games. It is sounding like Targi is a little easier, and quicker, and the one I am going to get. If funds are sufficient I will throw in Stone Age. Thanks again!

Coming late to the discussion, I think you're making the right choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Merkley

Mesa
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I watched Rahdo videos, and it seems simple, yet a lot of strategy. Seems like you don't get much for the price, but looks to have a lot of replayability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.