Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first session report, so bear with me. I don't have it in me to write a full blown narrative tonight.
After getting hammered 5 times in a row going solo on this scenario, with different roles each time, I decided to log this one and open it up for comment. Well, I ended up victorious!

Note: I began by randomly selecting each of the follwing: a role, 2 starting items, and a starting threat action. I'll name the island hexes by their number labeled at the bottom of each hex. If you want to know exactly what that hex shows, I'll leave that to you. Also, I built the first 3 crosses on the same hex as my camp.

Set up:
Cook, Friday, Dog(named Bandit), pistol, pipe & tobacco

Round 1
1. Captain's Chest
2. morale +1-->determination +1
3. +1 food, +1 wood
4. alloted 2 of my pawns to collect 1 wood and the Bible from the Captain's chest
alloted Friday and Bandit to explore hex #5 receiving a treasure discovery token, which I turned in and drew the backpack.
...remained camping on the beach
5. no weather
6. ate food and received a wound (no shelter)

Round 2
1. [book icon] Vertigo (lost the use of one of my pawns this round) & added 2 fog tokens to two unexplored island spaces
2. morale +1-->determination +2
3. +1 food, +1 wood
4. alloted Friday to build a cross by himself. He was successful but received 2 wounds
alloted myself and Bandit to explore the Dark Temple. We encountered a ferocious tiger, used the pistol and took 1 wound to kill it. Then I found a bottle of wine which I used immediately to heal 2 wounds, followed by an antique rapier which I also "used" immediately to increase my weapon strength by 2. Finally, I received candles (2 one-time use builder pawns). Using the backpack, I also received the sacrificial dagger.
...moved camp to hex #5
5. no weather

Round 3
1. [book icon] Unusually Cold Night--I chose to take a wound over losing 2 wood (of which I only had 1 anyway). I added 2 fog tokens to 2 more unexplored island spaces.
3. +1 food, +1 wood
4. alloted myself & a builder pawn to build a cross
alloted myself & Bandit to explore hex #10. I discovered the second totem and received 2 wounds, but also drew a discovery token to negate a rain cloud. Using the backpack I also a one-time use builder pawn token
alloted Friday alone to explore hex #4 successfully, along with a single wound. I used the pipe & tobacco to re-roll the die from which he received the wound to no avail. The third totem was revealed and so this tile (a hills tile...) was immediately given a fog token. Drew the "goat" discovery token (weapon = +1 food, +1 hide).
...I spent 2 determination to heal 2 of Friday's wounds
...moved the camp to hex #10
5. no weather

Round 4
1. [gray ?] Culled Area (no food during production phase)
2. morale maxed-->+1 heal me
3. +1 wood
4. allotted me and the temporary builder pawn to build a shelter
alloted me alone to resolve a threat action for +2 food
alloted Friday alone to successfully gather +1 wood, though he received a single wound
...spent 2 determination to heal one wound each on Friday and me
...camp remained on hex #10
5. no weather
6. ate food and finally slept in a shelter

Round 5
1. [brown ?] Jaguar (received 1 wound)
3. +1 food, +1 wood
4. allotted Friday + temporary builder pawn to build a cross
alloted me and Bandit to explore hex #3 which added a beast to the hunting deck, then drew three discovery tokens: a temporary builder pawn, morale +1, and +1 wood. Then with the backpack, I drew the medicinal herbs.
...camp remained on this tile until game end
5. no weather
6. ate food and slept soundly

Round 6
1. [book icon] Night Howling (added the +1 beast strength token to the hunting deck), then received a wound from an unresolved threat action, which then resulted in a loss of morale.
3. +1 food, +1 wood
4. allotted both of my pawns and a temporary builder pawn to build a cross on hex #3
alloted Friday and Bandit to explore hex #11. I added a beast to the hunting deck, received +1 wood from a discovery token, then used the backpack to draw the cultist's candles discovery token
5. I rolled two rain clouds, negated one of them with a discovery token drawn earlier, then received a wound for the other rain cloud.
6. ate and slept soundly

Round 7
1. [book icon] Foul Weather (-1 pawn on the gathering action field) I added the fog tokens to my camp tile and tile #3, leaving tile #11 uncovered, as that is where I wanted to build the final cross this round.
3. no production due to fog (but already had 2 wood)
4. just for fun, I sent Friday and Bandit hunting. They killed the boa for +2 food
alloted both my pawns and the cultist's candles to build a cross on tile #11.

...and that's all she wrote. The card, discovery token, and island hex draws were incredible this time through. Due to the incredible combination of treasures and easy event cards (chosen completely at random), I was able to build very efficiently and very fast. I did not build a single invention except for the cure, which was only due to the medicinal herbs which brings the cure to its item side automatically. I did not have to draw a single adventure card, as any time a question mark token was placed on an action field, I led the action with Friday, which merely resulted in a wound. Moreover, I never had to face the loss of production from fog until the 7th round nor the loss of wood from cold weather at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! A little luck helps a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:

Also, I built the first 3 crosses on the same hex as my camp.

You can't do that; the crosses have to be on different hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:
dbolyard wrote:

Also, I built the first 3 crosses on the same hex as my camp.

You can't do that; the crosses have to be on different hexes.

He moved his camp, so they were always built on the hex with his camp but the camp was on three separate hexes each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beiren Owlpants
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to this session report I finally understood what I was doing wrong. If I encountered a book on an event card I put a fog marker on the revieled tiles. So my base camp was always covered after 2 or 3 turns and I had nothing in production. Also because of that I was always unable to built the sacred built because I had to cover up the resources, so I never could build that and I was stuck forever. Now I see I need to put the fog markers on the unexplored tiles. This will make the game possible for me. It really felt impossible (although one play, I was able to built 4 crosses in 10 rounds even with my own wrong but much more difficult rule)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it! Honestly, this has become my least favorite scenario due to its relative ease (that is, compared to the other scenarios) now that I've "unlocked" it. Don't get me wrong, it's still loseable. It's just that the victory rate on this one is much higher than the rest. But perhaps what has drained my excitement for this one is that I feel like my hand is forced. It does become impossible unless you do certain things just so.

Though admittedly, it felt very good to win this one after excruciating losses.
This↑ first victory led to my first ever session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beiren Owlpants
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I played it this evening with the correct rules. And it was indead easy. I never felt in any problems. A little drawback near the end, but nothing major. I won in round 10, but feel that if I play this good, I can win sooner. My explorer finished with only 3 wounds after round 10. So there was never any real problem. Next time I will try Scenario 3: Jenny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beiren wrote:
Next time I will try Scenario 3: Jenny

Prepare yourself for a truly challenging scenario...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.