Subject: Educated Guess for the next Huge Ship? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the first huge ship is out, what's coming after Tantive IV?

Digging through all the various archives, I used the following criteria to narrow the choices. The ship has to be:

1) Imperial
2) Canon, not EU
3) Fits in 1/350 scale, around the 100m mark
4) Variant for a 3rd faction (however unlikely, it's gotta be smugglers/bounty hunters)

The only ship that I can figure out that fits all this is:

Corellian Engineering Corporation Action VI transport

It's 125 meters. It's used by the Empire as a patrol ship and it appeared in Episode 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe they have a license for episodes 1-3. Perhaps I am wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is certainly an interesting question (the next ship, not the licencing issue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:

Interesting storage slution. Where is the ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not start destroyer next... I will jump from the edge of the carpet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope it's not that one. Doesn't look very appealing in any way really.

Now, my guess (or hope rather) would be something like the Vigil-class corvette. It would fill the corvette role for the Empire, while also partly fulfilling that deep down longing for a Star Destroyer that I know everyone has.

It's a bit long, sure, at 250 meters and a bit wide too, but it could work. It looks really cool though! Plus it's mainly been seen in FFG's RPG books, so that could perhaps make it easier for them to use it, I dunno.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vigil-class_corvette

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:

No idea what the actual parameters are for the license, but the Action appears in both the Edge of the Empire RPG and Star Wars Card Game, so it would seem to be fair game.

I honestly doubt it'll be it, though. Not only is it not generally recognizable, it's a pretty bland design that borders on downright ugly. The Vigil is no better known, but is a much more attractive ship that feels like Star Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I already have one in mind....

...and something for the Empire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CR92a_Assassin-class_corvette

The imperial equivalent of the CR90.

The action series were freighters, not patrol ships. They were unarmed unless modified. And why does the ship have to be canon? All of wave 4 is EU, as it the HWK...

Nor does the ship have to represent a 3rd faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My guess is either the Vigil-class corvette mentioned upthread or an Imperial Customs Corvette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueKnight wrote:
This:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CR92a_Assassin-class_corvette

The imperial equivalent of the CR90.

The action series were freighters, not patrol ships. They were unarmed unless modified. And why does the ship have to be canon? All of wave 4 is EU, as it the HWK...

Nor does the ship have to represent a 3rd faction.

Well, there are two Rebel ships so far: a transport (unarmed unless heavily modified) and a corvette. Makes sense that we'd see a similar pair of ships for the Galactic Empire.

I don't think FFG has licensing issues regarding Eps. 1-3, nut rather FFG brass has stated (somewhere) that they aren't interested in doing prequel stuff and are sticking to rebellion era. That said, some equipment spans that gap, so... maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorywalski wrote:
If it's not start destroyer next... I will jump from the edge of the carpet ;)

It would have to be about 17 feet long if they keep to scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlockHero wrote:

32 inches long if kept to scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on no knowledge of the EU at all:
There is an Imperial Convoy ship, that could carry a single TIE/LN, crewed by 1-7 people.
Imperial cards for the Corvette
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:
HarlockHero wrote:

32 inches long if kept to scale.

That would truly be Epic...

But it would probably cost more than the rest of my X-wing collection combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Wittwer
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean Imperial repaint of the Corvette that also contains some upgrade cards everybody will want to have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitbnet wrote:

If true, that's the best news I've heard all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess would be the Tartan Patrol Cruiser at this point, but it seems early to jump into EU with the big ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebulon B Frigate. Bigger than the Corvette, true, but in the original trilogy AND the X-Wing games. Empire and Rebel use. Unique and iconic, I'd bet $1 this is the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
Nebulon B Frigate. Bigger than the Corvette, true, but in the original trilogy AND the X-Wing games. Empire and Rebel use. Unique and iconic, I'd bet $1 this is the next one.

This will be very difficult to build and pack due to the inconvenient shape. Also, I just found an image with several Falcon-sized ships docked to it, so it is probably also too big for the table even at "cinematic" scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with ships bigger than the corvette is that the price would be prohibitive. The Tantive is already at the high limit for a lot of fans.

The assassin is a natural choice. A lot of overlap to reserve cost, plus they could include upgrades that benefit both corvettes.

The other small imperial ships are possible, (Customs ship, Patrol ship) but are not well known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Janson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Educated guess is that an Imperial ship in a similar scale that will have screen time would be a prime pick over something in the EU that isn't as well recognized.

Seems this will get a lot of attention in Rebels. The Gozanti TIE Carrier:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Action VI class is an ugly ship. There's no getting around it. It's a freight train in outer space. But it also feels right in the Rebellion Era.

It has it's roots in the Rebellion Era Expanded Universe. It is one of the more ubiquitous EU ships.

The Wild Karrde is one of the named versions of the ship and its featured extensively in the Expanded Universe.

It is one of the few EU ships that is now true canon, because it was featured in Episode 2 – but that doesn't make it a prequel ship.

With regards to Wave 4 and EU. All of that was decided long before the canon announcement on April 25. The press release says that moving forward all future games will be canon. I don't know if this is only video games or if it includes the tabletop.

Can Fantasy Flight continue to draw on the EU for their expansions? Or is Wave 4 just grandfathered in?

(my guess is no and yes)

Which is why the Action VI/Wild Karrde seems like a ship that fits all the right criteria for the next huge ship expansion.

Looking at the timeline:

Q2: Tantive IV and Wave 4
Q3: Rebel Aces
Q4: (Holiday season) ???

My guess for Q4 would be fighters from Star Wars Rebels and hopefully another huge ship. Maybe the Gozanti Cruiser – but that would be a large ship (41.8), not huge.

Here's a couple pictures of models of the Action VI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do we worry so much about what is canon?

It seems unlikely that Disney feels any need to retcon ship classes or pilot names away. They may wish to erase a plot or character development that does not fit with the new movies. Maybe they will even go that far and remove some really extreme characters and unique ships that have a role in the EU, but certainly not the kind of stuff that X-Wing features.

On topic: With the success of Clone Wars (at least here in Germany all the kids watch it), are there any ships of this era of about 100m length that were later used by the Empire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see the Action VI as an imperial ship. The wild Karrde is the most iconic of that type, and Talon Karrde was more republic-friendly.

I guess we'll see somethink like the Star Galleon, which was an armed freighter/frigate hybrid with a length of 300 meters. Which would make it already twice as long as the CR90!

But it would actually be a nice hybrid between the Transport and the corvette! It had turbolasers and missile launchers. Additionaly it was made to transport large amounts of goods.

So I can actually see one of them at a scale reduction where it's 1.5 the length of the corvette, being worth 5 Epic points.

Sure they look like space manatees, but I find them iconic enough, sice I fought against them in X-Wing Alliance several times. They were able to give you quite a beating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.