Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has a class project to research a game or board game from the 1700s of colonial America.

We have just been able to find Nine Men Morris, some dexterity games like ball and cup, some hoop tossing game, jacks, marbles...

We were hoping for something more. Nine Men Morris or the others are not very thrilling "strategy" or "thinking" wise, and with the limited number there will be many presenting the same games.

We were hoping someone here more knowledgeable would be able to suggest something more interesting, and a little less obvious.

I know they used Dice and Dominos in those days, and understand that those games were probably gambling games in Ale Houses.

alas right now, looks like we may end up with "Huzzlecap" i.e. penny tossing...

thank you,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
A Journey Through Europe was published in 1759 and is one of (or the) oldest games featuring a map that you move around. It would surely have been played by at least somebody in America, as the designer of the game was John Jeffreys (probably the first ever game designer), who is believed to be a watchmaker from London, and was very important in the role of the invention of the marine chronometer, which would have then been used by ships crossing the Atlantic to the new world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Thomas Jefferson played Snakes and Ladders.

I'm pretty sure they played: Game of Goose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ponyboy
msg tools
mb
You know you can use the Adv.Search at the top of the page and just fill in the "years published" with something like 1 to 1800.

I can't believe how old Backgammon is. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
ponyboy93 wrote:
You know you can use the Adv.Search at the top of the page and just fill in the "years published" with something like 1 to 1800.

I can't believe how old Backgammon is. surprise

I did this, but the results really didn't look all that useful. A few pages of italian and japanese games. Maybe it'd be a good starting point though. the names of some of the British games are chuffing awesome though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To do something different, I was thinking about finding some Native American games. I found this page, maybe you will see something that works for you, my personal favorite is Run & Scream, sounds like a good time

http://www.traditionalnativegames.org/own_the_games_9.html

more ideas; http://moa.wfu.edu/files/2012/04/Fun-and-Games-Teachers-Guid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
To do something different, I was thinking about finding some Native American games. I found this page, maybe you will see something that works for you, my personal favorite is Run & Scream, sounds like a good time

I've a feeling my kids and I will be running and screaming in the park this weekend. Sounds like a laugh!

I think they missed one though:

Fighting
=========
1. Fight.
2. The winner wins.

Now THAT is a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Doomsword wrote:

I've a feeling my kids and I will be running and screaming in the park this weekend. Sounds like a laugh!

I think they missed one though:

Fighting
=========
1. Fight.
2. The winner wins.

Now THAT is a good game.

Everyone loves that game, very popular. Work-your-fingers-to-the-bone-so-you-don't-starve was another good time waster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Arn
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may try looking for the history of Mancala. It is an African game that was played in parts of Europe in the 1600s. It might have made it to the Americans by the 1700s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
I think Thomas Jefferson played Snakes and Ladders.

I'm pretty sure they played: Game of Goose

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/fun-fact-games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cribbage was taking off in England by then. I am sure it came across the pond with some.
If not its shipboard precursor Noddy surely was played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15678/hoyles-games

This might be the thing you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, appreciate the information, links, and banter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Cardozo
United States
Merion Station
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whist was extremely popular around this time as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.