Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: I have a few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

First off, I would like to thank Alessandro for taking the time to create and share this wonderful game with us and also for actively participating in these forums. I am very much enjoying your work my good man.

Now then, I have some issues I am hoping to have answered.

1) Can a car gain position in a corner if it has already taken its turn and is participating in the contest to defend its position?

2) If the race leader laps another car due to the result of a contest in a corner, is the leader still required to make the leader lapping check?

3) Is the following example regarding yellow flags correct?:

I have 2 movement for my car. The first movement is into a corner containing a yellow flag. The car is now "behind" the yellow flag in the section. The second movement is to position the car "in front of" the yellow flag but remaining in the same section as the flag.

Assuming that the above is correct, a yellow flag is basically a temporary way to divide a corner section into two halves. The first half is behind the flag and the second half in front of the flag.

Assuming that this is all correct thus far, if a cars last movement is into a section containing a yellow flag, it may not take a trajectory in the section. This would be due to the fact that the car is in the rear portion of the section behind the flag and the trajectory would be in the front portion of the section in front of the flag.

4) In regard to track cards, you must begin your move, move through or end your move in a section of the listed corner on the card. Assuming that your last move puts you into the listed corner, can soft tires be used to accomplish this? How about bonus movement from the race strategy "hazard"?

As a side note, I am fairly certain that you may not use a late brake trajectory to accomplish this.

5) Can a car that has just pitted take a late brake trajectory if it is available in the section it now occupies?

Many, many thanks.

Rick
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) By the nature of a Contest, yes. Keep in mind that the Contest is not performed on the turn that cars end their move in a corner, but on the next turn, when it is that track section next eligible for movement. When the Contest occurs, all cars (except lapped robots) have the opportunity to play 1 or 2 cards, and the highest total will be placed at the front of the pack of cars in that corner.


2) Under Leader Lapping, the rules state, "This check is not required if the Leader overtakes through a contest".

3)I think you've nailed it. The rules for yellow flags state, "A yellow flag must always be placed before the trajectories and therefore cars on the initial point of a trajectory cannot have the yellow flag ahead of them." In other words, you must be "ahead of" (i.e., past) the yellow flag, to be eligible for taking a trajectory.

4) My inclination would be to answer, "yes", as bonus movement is still part of your movement, and the only requirement for playing the Track card is that you were in that corner at some point in your movement. I'd agree with your conclusion that it does not apply to Late Braking, as the Late Braking check occurs after movement is completed.

5) An interesting question, not answered by the rules, that I can find. My inclination would be "no", since the player cannot take advantage of a Late Braking attempt as a Pit Stop turn is described in the rules. It also strikes me as something someone would try to do to circumvent the full, time penalty effect that taking a Pit Stop incurs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! I missed the leader lapping rule, thanks for the save on that one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Rick

1. Yes
2. No
3. Correct
4. In order to use a track card you must transit from, through or to one of the sections of the specified corner. You will know this before moving your car based on the total movement given by the cards and by any bonus due to strategy, soft tyres or other. You cannot use late braking to satisfy this requirement because you cannot predict the outcome, it may be that you do not enter in that corner section.
5. No. Late braking can be performed at the end of your movement, not at the start.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Can a car gain position in a corner if it has already taken its turn and is participating in the contest to defend its position?


Quote:
1. Yes




The text (page 12) say: "Note that the blue and green cars do not make any contest
because separated by the red driver WHO HAS ALREADY TAKEN HIS TURN."

Or I didn't understand the text above or I didn't understand the question of Rick.

If a car has already taken his turn, are allowed contests in this corner?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. In order to use a track card you must transit from, through or to one of the sections of the specified corner. You will know this before moving your car based on the total movement given by the cards and by any bonus due to strategy, soft tyres or other. You cannot use late braking to satisfy this requirement because you cannot predict the outcome, it may be that you do not enter in that corner section.


If the Track Card have a "No LT" icon, can I use this bonus movement to reach the corner?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No LT?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
Quote:
1) Can a car gain position in a corner if it has already taken its turn and is participating in the contest to defend its position?


Quote:
1. Yes




The text (page 12) say: "Note that the blue and green cars do not make any contest
because separated by the red driver WHO HAS ALREADY TAKEN HIS TURN."

Or I didn't understand the text above or I didn't understand the question of Rick.

If a car has already taken his turn, are allowed contests in this corner?


Rick's question is pretty generic. If a car has already taken its turn and later defend in a contest, can it gain positions as a result of this?
The answer is yes.
The subject of this question is the behavior of the car that has already taken its turn.

You are referring instead to an example clarifying the behavior of a car that has still to play its turn (so the subject is totally different) and is in a very particular situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
Quote:
4. In order to use a track card you must transit from, through or to one of the sections of the specified corner. You will know this before moving your car based on the total movement given by the cards and by any bonus due to strategy, soft tyres or other. You cannot use late braking to satisfy this requirement because you cannot predict the outcome, it may be that you do not enter in that corner section.


If the Track Card have a "No LT" icon, can I use this bonus movement to reach the corner?


I guess you mean a track card with a no LB symbol.
Either you use this track card as a movement card or you discard it to pass the late braking check. You cannot do both I.e. You cannot use the card for movement and then use it to pass the lb check.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You are referring instead to an example clarifying the behavior of a car that has still to play its turn (so the subject is totally different) and is in a very particular situation.


Ok!


Quote:
I guess you mean a track card with a no LB symbol.


Yes, I meant LB (Late Break) icon.


Quote:
Either you use this track card as a movement card or you discard it to pass the late braking check. You cannot do both I.e. You cannot use the card for movement and then use it to pass the lb check.



Ok, I understand. I translated wrongly expression "in lieu", I did not know this term, I know the term "instead". Sorry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:

Rick's question is pretty generic. If a car has already taken its turn and later defend in a contest, can it gain positions as a result of this?
The answer is yes.
The subject of this question is the behavior of the car that has already taken its turn.



How do you gain a position if you defend your position from a car coming from behind? Surely you don't defend a contest if your car is coming from the behind!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.