Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahsan Rasul
United Kingdom
Luton
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
So Pirates and Bounty hunters turned up yesterday - Yeah

Unfortunately this means that my box with original insert just doesnt cut the mustard as they say, so i was wonder if anyone had designed a custom insert or storage solution.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that the PBH box is strong enough (and big enough) to take all of the ship cards and a bit more besides. My starter box is already full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this is the last expansion either. I'm afraid that my box insert is going to have to go bye-bye and I'll end up bagging all the components, though that would make setup and teardown an unpleasant experience, with each deck having its own bag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I'm hoping that the PBH box is strong enough (and big enough) to take all of the ship cards and a bit more besides. My starter box is already full.

It is, P&BH has a decent box about half the size of the american main game release with the same quality

It's seperated into card holder, componant holder with story cards on top. I had to cut the bottom off the card holder as it isn't deep enough for sleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any expandable hobby faces this challenge. I collected Star Wars miniatures for years. My first storage solution (after I outgrew leaving the minis in the boxes they came in) was a pair of fishing lure cases. I ended up with a dozen storage cases (probably eight times the fishing lure ones), and limited it only because of space.

Paul brings up an interesting challege, though: easy enough to find an efficient way to store, but also to set-up?

The simplest solution might be to get a cardboard box for all the cards. They're easy enough to come by (in various sizes) at most collectible/hobby stores. The simplicity of tbe box would allow for section breaks to make it easy to separate different decks.

That would open up a lot of space in the core box. The money could stay where it is, and the various tokens could be bagged and placed in the sections the cards are in right now. The maps, story cards, etc. would still fit.

The other potential challenge is the ship cards. It looks like they'd fit in the P&BH box.

Kind of a pain to have three different storage items, but I think that leaves some room to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're any good at working with foamcore, you might want to check out this geek list items:

Item for Geeklist "Foam core insert modifications"

According to the designer, it's supposed to support everything through PBH...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it would work for card sleeving junkies, as my foam insert barely holds the base + atmo cards sleeved without sitting 1/2 inch proud.

But that foam insert is certainly cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought an actual plastic dinosaur, which took up the last bit of space in my box. Foam board would only take up space that isn't there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C
msg tools
Are there any instructions or tips for buying/modifying foam inserts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trashman27 wrote:
Are there any instructions or tips for buying/modifying foam inserts?

Use a clear drying glue like PVA glue. A cutting board, a sharp knife and a steel ruler is vital. The ability to cut 'square on' is a needed for a solid construction.

5mm foam core is the most commonly used board. Laying out the components in the box will give you ideas on how to arrange and construct the compartments.

Practice, practice, practice.

There a few tutorials blogs on BGG. I'll post the links in the morning if no one beats me to it.

EDITS:
This is one of my favourites - link, it has links to other pages too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Iles
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I ended up buying two card sorting trays from BCW. They have four rows of five slots for card decks, along with four compartments and a flat area. I keep the supply and contact decks in the center two rows, the money in the front, and the Misbehave and movement decks in the back. When playing, all I have to do is set out the money, movement and misbehave decks and its pretty much ready to go. I keep the tray in the box it came it, and put the second tray on top to help hold things in place. It works pretty well, and there's plenty of room for expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gullwind wrote:
I ended up buying two card sorting trays from BCW. They have four rows of five slots for card decks, along with four compartments and a flat area. I keep the supply and contact decks in the center two rows, the money in the front, and the Misbehave and movement decks in the back. When playing, all I have to do is set out the money, movement and misbehave decks and its pretty much ready to go. I keep the tray in the box it came it, and put the second tray on top to help hold things in place. It works pretty well, and there's plenty of room for expansions.

Thats a good idea... I didn't even think of keeping the box it came in soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gullwind wrote:

Would you happen to have the link for those trays, I may be interested in getting some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman15 wrote:
Gullwind wrote:

Would you happen to have the link for those trays, I may be interested in getting some.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/new/card-sorting-tray

You can buy them from other online retailers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. They're a little pricey, but we've found them useful for other games as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the same thing on Amazon for about half the price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprising...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rider
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tight, but it all fits.

I have the base game, Breakin' Atmo, Pirates and Bounty Hunters, the Artful Dodger (with the thin card), and even Wash's Lucky Dinosaurs (promo card) all in the original box, with the insert.

Okay, so you're looking at the insert with the three "card deck" slots at the bottom, nearest you.

1) In the rightmost deck bin, put all the Supply decks except one. Put the Breakin' Atmo rule card and cardboard dinosaur on top. This should just about exactly come to the top of the bin.

2) In the middle deck bin put all the Deal decks except one. Put the cardboard Reaver/Alliance reference card on top. Ditto about being right at the top of the bin.

3) In the upper left bin, put all the paper money. On top of that, put the remaining Supply and Deal decks. This comes up very slightly above the top of the bin, but that's okay.

4) All remaining cards (Setup, Nav, Misbehave, Bounty) go in the leftmost deck bin.

5) All the small tokens are bagged: passengers & cargo, fuel & parts, disgruntled & Havens. The large Warrant/Goal tokens are NOT bagged, but are in two stacks. The ships and stands are NOT bagged and fit into whatever open spaces are around the bagged tokens. All of this fits in the large upper right bin.

6) The large Scenario cards go upper left above the paper money.

7) All ship cards except one go in the lower section. Pirates rulebook goes on top of that. The last ship card goes on top of the upper half of the box.

8) Main board and rulebook go on top.

[edited for clarification]

Edit to add: When I say something is "bagged", be aware that for my board games I buy packs of small ziplock bags at hobby shops. Go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and look in the beading section. If I were using sandwich bags or even "snack" size Ziplocks, the bags alone would take up too much room for this to work. You could always just not bag any of it and dump it in the bin -- it's just more of a mess when it's game time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Stewart
msg tools
I made this out of mounting board, it fits in the original US box and stores the components during play

More images here http://s302.photobucket.com/user/hobbies2scale/library/Board...

I re-made the centre tray to hold the bounty cards and moved the Alliance cruiser and everything to date now fits in neatly. The box lid sits about an inch higher than it should, due to the game and ship boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.