Subject: Secondary and Tertiary gun factor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I wanted to know if the Secondary and Tertiary gun factor represent every gun avaliable on the ship or only every gun avaliable from any angle of attack ?

I asked because Primary gun are clearly depicted and usually can be all used in broadside while Secondary and Tertiary guns are usually designed to cover every angle of access with a set amount of them so there is no point in factoring them all as you can never use all of them at once on the same target (usually between half for side mounted ones to 75% for box corner mounted ones ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
"Reading history, Pinky..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nathaniel,

The gun factors are usually derived from the total number of guns, which as may indeed not bear in all directions. On occasion we might round the number of boxes down to account for restricted firing arcs.

Some optional rules are available for both series, for factoring down gun boxes when shooting into the bow or stern arcs. We could do the same for armament that is split between the two sides of a ship. These both start to get below the coarse granularity of GWAS/SWWAS, though, as an additional concern is representing guns knocked out port vs. starboard, or bow vs. stern.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't probably the most accurate, but I've always just gone with 75% for front arc only and 25% for rear. Numbers roughly balance out without too much thought as to which, but it does make more sense to subtract from the frontal arc (for realism and for gameplay reasons.)

I would like to include a penalty for being shot at down the long axis of your ship, but the current initiave system makes it a little too easy to get your T crossed to penalize one player that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.