Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Blackwell
England
Rotherfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the older original version of the game and noted that the 43 Sqn counter has Spitfires as oppose what they operated historically, the Hurricane. Looking at a scan of the counter sheet the same appears with the newer DG version.

Is this just a schoolboy error or intentional for balance of play?
I can understand it in the original game as sector 1/11 is a very busy one and you need all the help you can get. But as the new game has a 2 player version and solitaire play for the Luftwaffe unless the rules/profiles for Sqns in the newer version are identical for Spitfires and Hurricanes then technically the Luftwaffe are being disadvantaged.

Checking my books on the subject 43 Sqn still had Hurricanes in November 1940 when it was stationed in 13 Group and only converted to Spits in Feb 1943.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Counter errata - 43 Sqn -Should be a Hurricane Sqn
Design decision - they flew Hurricanes but fought with them so well they behaved as if the were Spitfires.

Seriously - don't know. Maybe JH will come along and explain.

Tangentially: I must admit I miss the Gladiator squadron that was part of 10 Group in the WEG version. It was always a challenge to see how long they'd survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blackwell
England
Rotherfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Counter errata - 43 Sqn -Should be a Hurricane Sqn
WBRP wrote:
Design decision - they flew Hurricanes but fought with them so well they behaved as if the were Spitfires.

Tangentially: I must admit I miss the Gladiator squadron that was part of 10 Group in the WEG version. It was always a challenge to see how long they'd survive.

I knew there would be a straight forward reason.

Ahh yes the Gladiators of 247 Sqn. Also a dilemma choosing them. But when you get the occasional heroic result I think they should have been kept in. That said the Boulton Paul Defiant had 2 Sqns that were mauled during the battle and these have even more justification than the Gladiators.

I couldn't leave them out in the end and added my own variant units to the counter manifest which eventually spiralled out of all proportion with 15 new aircraft types that actually took part (or could have) in the OoB now. Fiat Br20, Heinkel He59, Fairey Fulmar or Miles Master M.24 Emergency Fighter anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 558766. Simonsmrt
  • 1d20 =
  • (20) =
  • Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:37 pm
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.