Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a nerd bar. Just a regular sports bar. A very loud, very crowded sports bar.

We grabbed the longest table available, wiped it with cocktail napkins, and laid the game out. It took up the entire table, forcing everyone to banish plates and drinks to the corners.

I then explained the rules to my friends. Naturally, I did this at the top of my lungs, so I could be heard above the din.

On seeing the game, the waitress remarked that she liked Monopoly and Candyland. Then she asked if this game was like D&D. We told her it was more like D&D than it was like Candyland. A brief argument followed amongst ourselves, as to the merits of Candyland.

The game actually went rather well. Unlike in most of my solo games, we did not lose any space marines in the first round. On our way out of the void lock, we destroyed two Genestealers, giving us some breathing space in room 1A. Sadly, sometime between room 2 and room 3, two large swarms began amassing uncontrollably. It seemed that every spawn coincided with either the one or the other.

A lot of effort went into protecting Lexicanium Calistarius, but unfortunately he barely had an opportunity to execute more than one or two psychic attacks. The kills were pretty evenly divided; there was no single outstanding hero. Brother Claudio got in a heroic rush, Brother Zael got in a flamer attack, Brother Adron got in a rocket launch, Brother Leon got in a full auto attack. A little bit of everything. In retrospect, we may have neglected support somewhat.

In room 3, we had lined up a swarm of about 8 Genestealers in front of the Promethium Tank when the right blip pile was exhausted. Curses!

The red team lasted until the bitter end. In room 4, Brother Leon (or was it Brother Valencio?) was the last man standing. With two support tokens on the Control Panel, it was down to a coin flip, so we decided it was time to take our chances. We all cheered my friend as he rolled...

... and got a 3. Oh well. We came so very, very close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I see the appeal of playing this game in that type of venue? Was there a desire to draw attention or generate gaming interest in a bar full of rowdy, loud drunk people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I'm not sure I see the appeal of playing this game in that type of venue? Was there a desire to draw attention or generate gaming interest in a bar full of rowdy, loud drunk people?

Availability of a very large table, perhaps? One reason I game at a local sports bar on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Availability of a very large table, perhaps? One reason I game at a local sports bar on occasion.

Also: constant stream of decent food coming in, that none of the players have to prepare. And drinks!

It's actually a PERFECT venue for this sort of (beer-n-pretzel) game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Oh, it wasn't planned!

We had gone out to celebrate my admission to the New York bar (not *that* kind of bar)... And I casually happened to mention that I had a certain game with me... And one thing led to another.

Edit: Typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see! Congrats on the New York Bar thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Ah, I see! Congrats on the New York Bar thing!

Thank you! It was hard, but not as hard as beating SHDA. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like playing a good game with mates at a pub. Done it once and it is a fond memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim kelly
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there one women left in the bar when you were done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
Nothing like playing a good game with mates at a pub. Done it once and it is a fond memory.

While I enjoy gaming with friends, doing it in that specific type of environment seems problematic and distracting to me. But I could see the appeal if you were already going out to that type of place. It's just not something I'd want to do myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tekay44 wrote:
Was there one women left in the bar when you were done?

Lol. I don't think people were really paying us much attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Rook96 wrote:

While I enjoy gaming with friends, doing it in that specific type of environment seems problematic and distracting to me. But I could see the appeal if you were already going out to that type of place. It's just not something I'd want to do myself.

It takes the right environment. Some pubs would be terrible for it, but here in Bathurst we have a few good natured pubs with some open minded and friendly blokes. So, point taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been in some really cool pubs while I was stationed in Cornwall, England where I could easily see playing a game or two. However my experience with many other bars/pubs is that it's just so dang noisy and distracting that it would really take some work to stay on focus enough to enjoy the gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Yeah, I've been in some really cool pubs while I was stationed in Cornwall, England where I could easily see playing a game or two. However my experience with many other bars/pubs is that it's just so dang noisy and distracting that it would really take some work to stay on focus enough to enjoy the gaming.

No question, it was not the environment I would have chosen for a game. However, the mood was upon us, and we would not be deterred.

I might also note that "game nights" at bars are a totally different matter, and an excellent environment (apart from the lighting) to play games in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Morshuggah
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

I want to play Space Hulk at an NFL game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaymorshuggah wrote:
Awesome.

I want to play Space Hulk at an NFL game.

Well, the players are already wearing Space Marine Terminator armor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.