Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how do you people are using the army boxes? With its insert? Without it?
I have the Germán box full, the commonwealth one full with Achtung Cthulhu inside, the core game full with all the mapS and I still have to put dust and terrain inlays and other counters somewhere.
I'm thinking of getting rid of the inserts and put the components in zip bags. That way I'll solve the setup problem too, looking for all the recruitment options inside the box. I would put all the options from a recruitment tile with it inside the bag.

What do you think? How have you organized it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. A.
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Roll those dice you lazy bastard!
badge
Ha gotcha!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I dumped the inlays in the army boxes, and bagged all the tokens. One bag for each type of coloured stripe on the token edge. Still, the boxes are full, the lid on the base game box can not be shut properly because of all the map tiles, and the zombies and dust stuff are bagged and placed in a drawer waiting for the release of Shadows over Normandie…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have it in hand yet, so not 100% sure this will work.
But I intend to use foam core and card stock to make custom inserts for each box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I'm only storing it in my imagination... at this rate our US friends will be receiving there's before me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying out the Akro-Mils 5805. The medium fits into the army boxes with enough room left over for the cards, heavy vehicles, and recruitment tiles. Available on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pondering storage for a few days now. It does seem to make sense to bag each unit group by edge color. Then bag the generics separately. Maybe put heroes in bags (faction separated), generic vehicles in bags, and stuff like grenades/equipment in bags. Or maybe the grenades/equipment should be put in a plano box. I'd love to get it all in the main box and army boxes. Those maps once you got Base, D-Day, River, Cthulhu will probably fill most of that base box.

It's a daunting job to organize. Might even make sense to use a labeler on the ziplock unit bags to help organize them for easier searching.

And when the 3 new scenarios come out later in the year, that's another 9 map boards? That's very heavy. Might make sense to store map boards in something else that can hold up to 30!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm doing the map tiles separate.
Not sure just how yet though.

I'm going to home Depot tomorrow to start gathering materials for my monitors enclosure.
While I'm there I'll see what I can come up for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I've been pondering storage for a few days now. It does seem to make sense to bag each unit group by edge color. Then bag the generics separately. Maybe put heroes in bags (faction separated), generic vehicles in bags, and stuff like grenades/equipment in bags. Or maybe the grenades/equipment should be put in a plano box. I'd love to get it all in the main box and army boxes. Those maps once you got Base, D-Day, River, Cthulhu will probably fill most of that base box.

It's a daunting job to organize. Might even make sense to use a labeler on the ziplock unit bags to help organize them for easier searching.

And when the 3 new scenarios come out later in the year, that's another 9 map boards? That's very heavy. Might make sense to store map boards in something else that can hold up to 30!

The current map tiles fill the core box almost exactly. After the scenarios, the core box would extend significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive had the game for 6 days and still haven't opened everything. I don't see how all the components fit into the army boxes. I plan on experimenting with ziplock bags and ditching the army box insert. The "snack" size ziplocks work well, but some of the army boards are just too long. I plan on getting 5"x7" sized zip bags at lunchtime from a local craft store. I would also like to know what people are using for storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thass wrote:
Ive had the game for 6 days and still haven't opened everything. I don't see how all the components fit into the army boxes. I plan on experimenting with ziplock bags and ditching the army box insert. The "snack" size ziplocks work well, but some of the army boards are just too long. I plan on getting 5"x7" sized zip bags at lunchtime from a local craft store. I would also like to know what people are using for storage.

I think you'll need 9" long ziplocks. I found a super long army board that was I think 8". Most are under 7". Most are 2 short/2 long, but found one last night that was 3 long, 1 short.

Going to check Amazon to see what they have in Ziplock bag options. Unless you want to build a custom insert, ziplocks seem like the best bet.

As for maps, if they currently fill the main box, that means we need another storage solution with expansion room, and it has to be robust because of the weight. Any ideas?

EDIT- Amazon has many, many sizes of ziplocks. Found 6"x9" 4 mil thick bags which should work well. I might order a few sizes after I do some more measurements of army board sizes.
Amazon Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have missed the 8" board. I think bagging the army groups is the way to go and shorten setup time. Sounds like you have explored this more than I have, so please keep me/us posted to your findings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to fit all the Army box + base game troops in each of their army boxes. I did use some 3x4 zippier for the "purchase" tokens and "paid for" tokens. I shoved the platoon leaders (and vehicles) under the platoon frames. I did separated all the squads into like types rather than purchase groups (because a couple were "shorted"). It is tight.

Terrain, books and the scenario markers are in the base box. There is room to expand in the base box, but the army boxes are full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumpty wrote:
I'm trying out the Akro-Mils 5805. The medium fits into the army boxes with enough room left over for the cards, heavy vehicles, and recruitment tiles. Available on Amazon.

This case works great! Unfortunately, I cannot seem to be able to properly upload the image to BGG. When I try, BGG rotates the image 180 degrees and it gets denied. I even tried rotating the image myself and then submitting, but it still comes out upside down!

I guess you'll just have to trust me, but this is a perfect sized plano-like case to hold your various units for each army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Dave: I would like to see photos. Does each army recruitment board get its own slot in the storage box? I just spent all last night punching and sorting the German army recruitment boards into 4"x7" ziplock bags. A previous poster (I think Scott) said one board is too large for the 4x7 bag, and he is correct. I'm leaving the bag partially open. I also poked some small holes in the bags to let the air out when everything is pressed together. I'm having flashbacks to my Squard Leader gaming days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thass wrote:
@Dave: I would like to see photos. Does each army recruitment board get its own slot in the storage box? I just spent all last night punching and sorting the German army recruitment boards into 4"x7" ziplock bags. A previous poster (I think Scott) said one board is too large for the 4x7 bag, and he is correct. I'm leaving the bag partially open. I also poked some small holes in the bags to let the air out when everything is pressed together. I'm having flashbacks to my Squard Leader gaming days.

Yep. One slot per recruitment board bits. I tried uploading again and just got rejected. I have bad photo mojo it seems. Anyone want to try it for me? I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I know now what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposedly there is a way to upload to your personal photo area and then link that to other places. I have never done this so do not know the exact process beyond what I have described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might of found a way to store all the maps. Amazon sells White Corrugated Shipping Boxes with folding tops in many sizes. There's a 12"x12"x4" that would work to hold all the base game and expansion maps. Though they only sell them in 12+ packs only. It's an option, not a fantastic one. I'd love to find a plastic folding case to hold them but so far no luck.

Amazon Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I might of found a way to store all the maps. Amazon sells White Corrugated Shipping Boxes with folding tops in many sizes. There's a 12"x12"x4" that would work to hold all the base game and expansion maps. Though they only sell them in 12+ packs only. It's an option, not a fantastic one. I'd love to find a plastic folding case to hold them but so far no luck.

Amazon Link

Awesome find.

Though, I think 2" deep should be plenty.
Depending on how you'd like it setup.

2 inches, I imagine is the outside measurement, so it really depends on how much space you get inside.

But 2 inches of the tiles stacked up is 13 tiles.
So 12 should leave a hair to spare.

4" might end up being pretty heavy.

With 2" it'd be lighter and if 12 would fit would organize well.
Base, river, and beach in one.
The three towns in number two.
Add cthulhu in a third, with room to spare for more.

Then you can either keep the other nine, for spares or other games, or you can give them tk, split them with, other Normandie players.

Roughly the same price as my plan, maybe slightly cheaper.
No assembly project time.
And would look fairly well on a shelf I think.

I'll have to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Amazon Link

Awesome find.

Though, I think 2" deep should be plenty.
Depending on how you'd like it setup.

2 inches, I imagine is the outside measurement, so it really depends on how much space you get inside.

But 2 inches of the tiles stacked up is 13 tiles.
So 12 should leave a hair to spare.

4" might end up being pretty heavy.

With 2" it'd be lighter and if 12 would fit would organize well.
Base, river, and beach in one.
The three towns in number two.
Add cthulhu in a third, with room to spare for more.

Then you can either keep the other nine, for spares or other games, or you can give them tk, split them with, other Normandie players.

Roughly the same price as my plan, maybe slightly cheaper.
No assembly project time.
And would look fairly well on a shelf I think.

I'll have to try this out.

You are right, 2" sounds like a much better plan. Can break up the maps in groups that will travel easier then trying to get them all in one large box.

I'll probably order a set of 12 and save the rest for other games since that size is pretty handy to have. And have a few spare in case some of them get damaged over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

Amazon Link

I don't know what you mean by folding, but here's a plastic option:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/ru...

Oh, and if you're going cardboard, the USPS Large Flat Rate boxes are 12x12x5.5...recycle>reuse>reduce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JTQuest wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Amazon Link

Oh, and if you're going cardboard, the USPS Large Flat Rate boxes are 12x12x5.5...recycle>reuse>reduce

Wow, that's a really perfect box! Sadly bought the cardboard ones already. Also, they charge $20 for shipping. They have some boxes on Amazon, but not this one. Man, do I want to spend $30 just to store the maps after spending $24 for the cardboard boxes? This will hold up much better though. Arg! Hope this game is hugely popular with my gaming group. I've probably spent $100 on bags, boxes, labels to get it all stored. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
JTQuest wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Amazon Link

Wow, that's a really perfect box! Sadly bought the cardboard ones already. Also, they charge $20 for shipping. They have some boxes on Amazon, but not this one. Man, do I want to spend $30 just to store the maps after spending $24 for the cardboard boxes? This will hold up much better though. Arg! Hope this game is hugely popular with my gaming group. I've probably spent $100 on bags, boxes, labels to get it all stored. cry

I've previously found the 7 litre RUB at Office Depot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zelasco
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to also look at ArtBin cases:

15 x 3.2 x 14.2 inches
http://www.amazon.com/ArtBin-Quick-Carrying-Interior-Translu...

17 x 4 x 12.5 inches (going to be smaller inside due to handle)
http://www.amazon.com/Artbin-17-Inch-4-Inch-Carrying-Translu...

You might also look at getting an art case, toolbox, or under-the-bed storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.