Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: A life question for my chit-chat friends, acquaintances and enemies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
So at what point do you stop feeling like a dumb kid? Seriously. I'm a couple months shy of 39 and I still can't believe the things I get trusted to do. Children? Giant, costly projects? Home ownership? CHILDREN? WTF?

Is there some magic point where I will stop feeling like a dumbass that makes lucky guesses and start feeling like I have some sort of a handle on this whole life thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Grow old but never grow up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exparrot wrote:
Grow old but never grow up!
I've got that covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I'm obsessed with Mexican food and video games. The word "butts" still makes me giggle. I'm a 7 year old living in a 30+ year old body. I don't think I'm qualified to answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Fake it 'til you make it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyah, no magical point occurred for me anyway.

I still remember when I drove away from the hospital with my new baby girl in the back seat and thinking, "WTF! How is this even legal?! I don't know anything!"

Of course that was almost 20 years ago and I'm still amazed that I'm entrusted with the societal expectations of being an adult.

I remember a comedic skit (YouTube?) asking if there was a point when you stop talking about the dumbass things you did because you didn't know anything at the time. For example, does a 75 year old talk about how stupid and ignorant he was at 65? How about a 95 year old commenting on how he acted as an 85 year old, "I could have been killed! What was I thinking!?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you know. I've got a decade on you and I'm still not there.

Worst part Is when my oldest calls me and asks for advice. Like, I don't know what the heck I'M doing and you're asking ME??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

I just turned 40, and my heart's still just fine.
(Guess I'm not grown up . . .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief, I hope not. I'm 43 and I'm just starting to get used to that feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
This space intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could keep beating myself up over stupid stuff I did when I was a kid, but I keep doing enough stupid things now that I don't need to think back too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During your third play through...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of when I got my first job. A 40-something co-worker whom I was friends with left the company because she wanted to find out what she wants to be when she grows up.

That never left me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Considering there are a surprising amount of people who pop kids out with no regard to the concept of parenting...
And there are a surprising amount of people who pop kids out with WAAAY too much regard to the concept of parenting...
Then as long as you stay between those 2 extremes, I think you'll be okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My father (75 now) still says that he doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up.

Another quote from my dad. I was in my late 20's or early 30's and a fairly new father and I asked him, "When do you stop worrying about your kids?" He replied, "I'll let you know."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The other day my son said "I'm not sure how to do most things, I just make it look like I do".

Every adult at the table agreed that that's pretty much all there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read Willy Murphy comics. And it may not be too late to sell your kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I came back from a business trip yesterday. At the airport, somewhere near the security checkpoint, I had somehow dropped the stylus to my 3DS. I noticed it at the gate when I sat down, and was trying to decide "will I look like a fool going back and asking about it? A 'grown man' caring about a video game console stylus?"

I decided I didn't care, went back, and (fortunately) found it on the ground.

Maybe the real definition of being "grown up" is just knowing when you should ACT like it, and when it's OK to revert to "kid mode" for a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

My wife accuses me of having been born a "grumpy old man"...

Get the heck off my lawn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
That moment is now. Now that you've realized it, you're there.

It's just that our grown up isn't our parents' grown up. This here, this right here, this is what it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. When I look back on my mistakes and bad decisions from the past is when I realize how dumb I've been.

However in the present, I don't have the all-wise knowledge to make perfect decisions and/or avoid pitfalls.

Life keeps happening and I often feel that I'm a work in process, hoping to stumble onto the best path. I know that I still need a lot of growing up.

To further canvass my statements, I believe that in my case, I did NOT benefit from living at home until I married. Although not very young, I was still shocked to all of a sudden have the responsibility of running a home--my husband the same.

So, I recommend all young adults to live on their own if possible to learn how to be 100% responsible for everything that goes on in their lives and home. After almost 20 years of marriage, I still rebel against this massive responsibility every so often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the moment when you decide to own your own shit. Not always happily or with good grace, but the time eventually comes when you accept that from now on the consequences of your actions are your responsibility. With luck, friends and family will ease the load, but if you make an arse of something then it is down to you. The flip side is that anything good, creative and constructive you do is yours as well.

Edit: seplling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always been, and will always be, a world of children bewildered to find ourselves trapped in rapidly decaying vessels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I sit on the toilet, for some reason some crappy (hee hee) memory from years ago has me saying, "Gawd, what a f#$%ing idiot!"

I am on the downhill-and-going-fast side of 60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my takeaway from this so far is: it's not just me.

That's encouraging and horribly, horribly frightening at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.