Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Watch your Boosters from Target rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into Target this morning at open and was checking the shelves for a starter.

Their shelves are near the customer service lane and I overheard a customer making a return of a "dice game". I looked over and seen him returning a pile of MDM boosters.

I can only suspect that his plan was to buy a pile, open until R & SR were pulled, and return the remaining C & UC packs.

Soooo... Target boosters may be getting picked over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bishop
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Watch you boosters from Target
That's dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Watch you boosters from Target
Wow. That's low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to get them through the hobby stores then. They would recognize the trick. Wait, can they actually deny a refund?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
Better to get them through the hobby stores then. They would recognize the trick. Wait, can they actually deny a refund?

Wow, that's certainly a gray area. If he's returning unopened packages I don't think there's a whole lot they can do. A smaller store like a hobby shop or game store would probably refuse him because they'd understand what was happening. A larger store like Target probably wouldn't recognize that happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone know their return policy? I have a hard time believing they would take back open packs of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thefub wrote:
Does anyone know their return policy? I have a hard time believing they would take back open packs of cards.

No, these were unopened. I'm pretty sure these would be like video games, no opened returns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
Noom-noom-Numeron, send us food to chew-mer-on.
badge
Ed's chunk just spun in place, forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd think they'd understand the concept of a collectible game considering the wall of Magic/Pokemon I've seen at most Targets. Maybe MDM is just not registering to them as collectible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Ashley
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattamd wrote:
okami31 wrote:

Wow, that's certainly a gray area. If he's returning unopened packages I don't think there's a whole lot they can do. A smaller store like a hobby shop or game store would probably refuse him because they'd understand what was happening. A larger store like Target probably wouldn't recognize that happening.

And a larger store wouldn't make a fuss out of it if they did..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Reynolds
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dan8765309 wrote:
thefub wrote:

No, these were unopened. I'm pretty sure these would be like video games, no opened returns.

Okay. It did not sink into my head what he may be doing until I read the post again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
people are just so nuts and idiotic when it come to this kinda crap they wanna pull....

just for a stupid ultra rare Elastic Man.....

just idiotic....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
johnjon wrote:
You'd think they'd understand the concept of a collectible game considering the wall of Magic/Pokemon I've seen at most Targets. Maybe MDM is just not registering to them as collectible.

Nobody that works at Target will possibly know that.

This is fringe gaming territory, not the blender section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted ... this is just my conspiracy theorist observation. He could have just legitimately not wanted the product too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A person that would do this is not a real gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfpackee wrote:
A person that would do this is not a real gamer.

Nah, I'm betting anyone pulling this kinda shenanigans is out to make a buck. With the early eBay prices being what they are this sort of sneakiness could probably turn a profit. Sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be worse I've seen packs of cards opened in the aisle at the toys r us near me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is no different than how the Target exclusive mass market gravity feed HeroClix figure sets (the movie tie ins, such as Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Green Lantern, Avengers) have been picked over. Its been common practice for collectors to buy displays, open the packs, stop when their set is complete, and return the rest. Target's open return policy doesn't account for collectible, random distribution items, and likely never will.

Bottom line is if it isn't a full display case, you're taking a measure of risk if you're hoping for a chance at the rarer items.

And while I don't have the details for who is the exact vendor of Dice Masters, if it is the same as HeroClix, MtG, and a slew of other collectible items at the store, it isn't Target that stocks them. It is a company called Excell Marketing, which has shelf space at Target and sells through them. As such, Target personnel are going to have minimal information on stocking information including release dates and restocks until they actually occur. It is also one of the reasons why Target is not overly concerned with returns on these items - it isn't their sales that are being impacted.

Typically you can tell which stock is from Excell Marketing by its Target store location - usually a display row parallel to the register aisles, with some items also on end aisle caps in the toy section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not surprised at all. When I opened my first booster box, I got my Super Rare and 10 Rares and still had 10 boosters left to open. I still went on the hope that I somehow got an awesome booster box that had extra good stuff in it, but I wondered if someone else would then take those 10 boosters and put them up for sale on Ebay (which I why I would recommend not buying small groups of boosters online).

However, with my second box, I had two boosters left and hadn't pulled my Super Rare or final Rare and guess what was in those two boosters?? I guess if someone wants to try their luck this way, whatever, but it's pretty risky.

I did shake my head when I opened the Super Rare and got the same one as my first box though. Oh well, I'm sure I can flip my extra Black Widow for some Rares that I still need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it... Do you think the guy is getting what he wants and some how resealing the packs then bringing them back??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My target had boosters listed at $2.49 I thought. I didn't bother taking one to the price scanner to double check it, I have no intentions of ever buying boosters there when I know my FLGS has them. That's the easiest solution.

My store has done really well keeping boosters in stock, and they keep track of whether a SR has been pulled or not from the current open boxes. It's a great selling tactic lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueTegu wrote:
I don't get it... Do you think the guy is getting what he wants and some how resealing the packs then bringing them back??

The theory is this.

1 - Buy 20 packs

2 - Open packs until you hit the super rare (lets say it is in pack seven)

3 - Return the 13 unopened packs.

4 - Profit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueTegu wrote:

Each Gravity Feed is 60 individual, unopened packs.

So, if you open ten or twelve or twenty . . . and get the cards you want . . . and "know" that there's only one Super Rare or X Rares per Feed . . . you can take the rest back and get a refund.

Theeeen, when you or I see the boosters at Target, we buy them and have almost no chance of receiving a Super Rare, and a greatly lessened chance of receiving a Rare.

Insidious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip!

I bought the last four packs from my local Target after buying a gravity feed from CSI. I had every card in these four packs - I think 6 were commons and 2 were uncommons. This might explain why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
BlueTegu wrote:

The theory is this.

1 - Buy 20 packs

2 - Open packs until you hit the super rare (lets say it is in pack seven)

3 - Return the 13 unopened packs.

4 - Profit?

Or, he bought a gravity box online at a sharp discount, gets all the cards he needs then proceeds to 'return' the opened packs to a retailer (at a higher cost per pack) potentially making some/most of his money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

I bought the last four packs from my local Target after buying a gravity feed from CSI. I had every card in these four packs - I think 6 were commons and 2 were uncommons. This might explain why.

Just plain old random chance can also explain it. Out of four packs, there's a 33% chance you won't see a rare at all. And a 96% chance you won't see a SR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.