Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players: 4-8
Start time: either Monday the 5th, or when we get 8 players
Expansions used: Forsaken Lore. You must have a copy of the base game, plus either have the expansion now, have it on order, or concrete plans to acquire it as soon as it's available in your area.
Ancient one: Yig

If you've never been in a PBF game, look through any of the ones going on to see how it's done here. I am allowing players to use investigators I created in this thread, but it is not required. If you have any concerns about play balance, send me a private message. If you have any other questions, post them here.

Players
Daniel Honig (Roland Banks)
Christopher Gnech (Hank Simpson)
Brad Ficek (Wendy Adams)
Kelwynne (Ursula Downs)
Luke (Daisy Walker)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, assuming there's room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Forsaken Lore yesterday and looked through the cards. Would love to play here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to join this. Have the base game and have Forsaken Lore on pre-order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
[q="XeltoAncient one: Yig
[/q]

"Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"

I am in. Should be getting my FL within the next hour or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, we've got the minimum I wanted. Feel free to start claiming characters-- first come, first served. As mentioned, we'll start either when there are four more, or on Monday if we don't get more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto count me in please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are all fine using custom investigators created, I'm going to take Wendy Adams the Urchin. If we want to just stick to the 12 original then I will reconsider.

Looking forward to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also inviting
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

to join us, if possible! coolcoolcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soul_Guile wrote:
I'm also inviting
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No problem, just please have him post here what character he would like to take. (Feel free to say what character you want, as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While getting George to get me out of my Dark Pacts would just be classic, I think I will go with Big Dumb Monster Whacker (aka Hank).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soul_Guile wrote:
I'm also inviting
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you very much for the invite, but I am in a lot of PbF games right now and I don't think I could give this my full attention.

Good luck and I do look forward to following your battle against evil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
Xelto wrote:
Number of players: 4-8
Start time: either Monday the 5th, or when we get 8 players
Expansions used: Forsaken Lore. You must have a copy of the base game, plus either have the expansion now, have it on order, or concrete plans to acquire it as soon as it's available in your area.
Ancient one: Yig

No Need (or would you prefer Kelwynne as your name?) (no character chosen yet)

A faint breeze rolls in off the dunes, barely rustling the heavy canvas of the tent. The lone occupant looks up from her work at the door, wishing the breeze had provided more of a respite from the oppressive desert heat. "If you are going to let a little heat get to you maybe you should have listened to your mother and been a proper homemaker". She shakes her head with a chuckle at the thought and finished the sentence she had been writing and, happy with the results, set the pen down.

Having placed the tiny idol in a straw filled box she walks over and selects a small stone tablet from the haphazard pile of items removed from her recent find, the latest Egyptian tomb to be discovered. She much preferring the excitement of locating ancient sites and exploring their depths the the drudgery of cataloging the numerous items found inside the tombs, she realizes the need if she wants her patrons to continue funding her expeditions around the globe.

She runs a brush over the tablet, removing caked on sand and begins to read. A chill soon runs down her spine before lodging itself in her gut. She no longer notices the oppressive heat as she tries to suppress a shiver. These are like no hieroglyphs she has ever seen. She does not know what they say but they... feel evil, foreboding. She needs to know what the table says, and soon. "Ahkmed, quickly. Radio the port and book me passage on the next ship heading to London. I need to consult with one of my colleagues at the British museum." Ahkmed nods in response, "Of course Miss Downs, right away" as he runs off.

Ursula carefully wraps the tablet and places inside her travel pack along with her necessary travel items. She pauses in the door of the tent, gazing at the desk with a smile, "I guess someone else will have to look after that in my absence".

Kelwynne is fine, and I will be playing Ursula Downs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
before we get started, Xelto I will need you, please, to write down the content of the new cards since I do not own the expansion yet as it's not available in Italy yet crycrycrycry

(the carriers probably got LiTaS )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Once the loaders grabbed the last crate of honey from the cargo ship, Wendy sneaked onto the dock in London. She had to squint as the sunlight, while dampened by the fog, hit her weary, traveled eyes. While she had mentally prepared herself for her first journey on a ship, stowing away on the ship was a dark, sickening affair. The constant sway of the waves were difficult to bear.

Breathing a sigh of relief, she took in her surroundings. The air was light, the breeze crisp. The long journey behind her, she was reminded of why she decided to make the trip. Her father. Pulling the folded picture out of her pocket, a half-smile formed on her face.

"I made it daddy. I made it."

When she received the photograph back in the states, it was bittersweet. "Hope" was a word probably furthest from Wendy's everyday vernacular. And while she's been curbing expectations about whether or not she'll actually find her father, she at least felt a purpose in life that had been missing for so long. She had a part to play in preventing.... something from taking place. The necklace around her neck had been getting strangely warm as the recent weeks had passed. And then, as the warmth from the jewels on her neck kept getting stronger, a stranger dropped off the photo of her father. It couldn't be a coincidence.

So why was she in London? She hadn't a clue. But there was purpose. And she felt destined to fulfill whatever that purpose was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for delay, busy weekend. Will pick a char and get started when I get back from work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"The hell is it with Arkham that makes it feel so wrong? I'll be happy to get back on the road. Ever since this Sam Butcher case started everything's been weird. Some crazy farmhand ranting and raving about snakes, two bloated corpses, three sheets of paper with strange twisted writing."

It was raining in Arkham, a cold rain pushing in from the water and drenching everything in its path. Roland pushed through the weather, his raincoat wrapped tight around him for some meager protection from the biting cold. He'd paid off an earlier farmhand with more brawn than brains and some willingness to travel, which had given him both assistance and meager companionship during the trip to and subsequent stay in Arkham. The place creeped him out, and he was glad to have some muscle at his back if need be.

The day was spent poring over various notes and observations, hiding from the weather. At least two men had been killed so far, presumably by snakes. The animals had been acting weird lately if they were going to swarm and kill a man. Snakes didn't exactly do that. One of the victims had a book from the university here, something...less than reputable. There were words in there that he hardly understood, but he was no academic. The university might have answers. If not, he'd see where else he could go. If it was just snakes, that was hardly his job to take care of.

A feeling deep in the pit of his stomach told him otherwise.

"There's a natural explanation for this somewhere. And if I need to throttle some cultist or Arkhamite until I find it, that'll be a start." Mumbling again to himself, quietly. Frustrated.

Looking out the window into the stormy sky, he cracked open the old, near-useless book and tried to see what he could learn. Then, the newspapers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome, my friends, welcome... I will be your host this fine evening...

Now, as this is my first hosting of a PBF game, that's going to be it for the flavor text from me, at least for now. I tend to get a bit carried away, and think that focusing on getting the mechanics down is more important than lots of fluff. So with that, on to the important details--

First off, if you're not subscribed to this thread, please do so.

In common with most of the other EH PBF games, please note your actions in bold text, and make all the dice rolls for those actions. Flavor text should be in italic. And official moves should have either your character's name or banner at the top. Also, I'm assuming you all know how to do rolls on this forum. If not, please let me know. Please make rolls needed for your actions (acquiring assets, spell results, etc.) If you cast a spell, or do something else that would flip a double-sided card, use a 1d4 roll to see which card you have. If I do something that would flip a double-sided card, I will do the rolling for it.

In the interest of keeping the game moving, after you post your actions, please list what type of encounter you hope to have during encounter phase. If you want to see what happens before your turn, that's fine, just say so. If you have a few choices you want to select from, you can also do conditional orders-- "If Trish fails to close the gate in Tokyo, then I'll try to close the one I'm at, using up to two clues, but if she succeeds, I'll try the research encounter on my space, using all my clues if necessary. If successful at the research encounter, place the clue on the active mystery" is a wonderful type of order.

Finally, a couple of personal notes. First off, I don't have space in the house to leave the game board set up, and besides, my family may want to play with me. Mostly this won't be an issue-- I've written out what's in all the decks. However, I'm not going to keep a clue pile-- if I need a location for a clue, I'll just draw one from my box at random, and not worry if it's been used in the recent past. Second off, I'm attending Marcon this weekend, so won't be posting from some time Friday to some time Sunday.

And... on with the show...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Active mystery: K'n-yan Unearthed, space 6 (If your game expansion hasn't arrived yet, this card can be seen in the teaser pictures FFG put out for the game.)
Doom: 10
Omen: 12 O'clock
Active Mythos cards: none
Gates: San Francisco, Sidney
Monsters: Ghoul (San Francisco), Skeleton (Sydney)
Reserve: (2) Police assistance, (3) Silver twilight lodge ritual, (4) Agency quarantine, (2) Sanctuary
Police assistance: banish one monster (toughness 2 or less) back to the cup

Roland Banks
●●●●●●●|●●●●●
clues ○○○○○
2L-3I-3O-2S-3W
○○ ○○ ○○ ○○ ○○
Hired Muscle

Hank Simpson
●●●●●●●●|●●●●
clues ○○○○○
1L-1I-4O-4S-3W
○○ ○○ ○○ ○○ ○○
Shotgun

Wendy Adams
●●●●●●|●●●●●●
clues ○○○○○
4L-1I-4O-1S-3W
○○ ○○ ○○ ○○ ○○
Blessed

Ursula Downs
●●●●●●|●●●●●●
clues ○○○○○
3L-2I-4O-2S-2W
○○ ○○ ○○ ○○ ○○
Ship ticket

Daisy Walker
●●●●●●|●●●●●●
clues ○○○○○
3L-2I-3O-2S-3W
○○ ○○ ○○ ○○ ○○
Arcane Tome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The image is fine as-is.

What's in the Reserve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello fellow investigators, good luck against this serpentile creature!!

So at first glance at the mystery (and the one special encounter that was previewed), it doesn't seem like clues are necessary needed to get those three eldritch tokens. Being blessed early, I could start making my way down there and see what I can do? Obviously many of us could make it down there as it is, so if others want to go and try their luck, I could head down south towards Sydney.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soul_Guile wrote:
before we get started, Xelto I will need you, please, to write down the content of the new cards since I do not own the expansion yet as it's not available in Italy yet crycrycrycry

(the carriers probably got LiTaS )

I'll do it on an as-needed basis when new expansion materials show up. Let me know when your copy arrives, and may the blessings of whoever watches over mail delivery be with you. And remind me if I miss anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sydney's gate won't trouble us for a bit. I'd like to clean out the reserve - let me see how I roll to buy, and then decide from there. We need items sooner rather than later, and a certain somebody drew all Service assets.

Action 1: Rolling Influence to purchase items. Rolling influence. 3d6c[5] = (3, 5, 3) = 1

Will post full description and sort out the second action after I see what I rolled (aiming for 3 successes after Debt if needed, to buy the Ritual and the Police Assistance since there are monsters to kill and retreating doom is great vs Yig). I appear to be Lead Investigator, so this'll let people see what comes up.

---

Alright, 1 success. I'll take a Bank Loan to clean out the Silver Twilight Ritual as well, using my passive ability to reduce the cost of both items by 1. At this point it's either London or the Mystery, so I think I'll go for the Mystery - Arkham really isn't useful for me.

Question for players: Should I take care of the Ghoul or the Skeleton? The Skeleton is stronger, but the Ghoul is blocking the gate.
The Ghoul is easier to kill, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 542835. Andarel
  • 3d6c[5] =
  • (3, 5, 3) =
  • Rolling influence.
  • Tue May 6, 2014 3:42 am
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Andarel previously rolled 3d6c[5] = (3, 5, 3) = 1 (Rolling influence.)

Will post full description and sort out the second action after I see what I rolled (aiming for 3 successes after Debt if needed, to buy the Ritual and the Police Assistance since there are monsters to kill and retreating doom is great vs Yig). I appear to be Lead Investigator, so this'll let people see what comes up.

Once you pick up the debt, you have enough to get either the police assistance or the ritual, but not both. Edit: forgot your ability. You can do both.

New item in the reserve:
Bull whip
Carbine rifle

You have one action left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Need
Canada
flag msg tools
Xelto wrote:

Note: sorry that the image is small-- if you click on it, it will expand. If anyone knows what I did wrong/how to insert images that are larger, let me know. I don't have time to research it at this moment.

Placing the word medium (or large) after the imageid (space in between) should do it.

The other forums have been removing it from investigator tags when quoting to make them stand out less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.