11 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Less luck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Rossi
Italy
flag msg tools

I've seen lots of people arguing about the influence of luck. I suggest an simple way to reduce it: why not letting a player throw again a number of dice equal to the number of figures in a unit?

For example: i have two Citadel Guards in the hex, I throw my four dice, I keep two and throw again the other two. Stop. It's only my own decision if it's worth it or not.

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance for feedbacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
How would that work with Legendary units, where they only have one figure?

Also, I think this would make attacking too strong. It may reduce some of the luck factor, but it does so by just increasing the amount of damage basically. It would also reduce the effectiveness of some Lore cards, like Rune Blade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Rossi
Italy
flag msg tools
mmm, you could be right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see any valid reason for changing the current rules. Luck is a viable part of the game system. Much as the command cards abstractly simulate the fogs of war, the die rolls abstractly simulate the variables in the heat of combat.

All these things have a place in a game like this. Superior tactics will almost always win out over luck, because you put yourself in a position where you have the best possible chance to be least affected by luck.

Yeah, sometimes you get unlucky...but so does your opponent. In the end it all balances out. It sucks when you have "bad luck" on a important final roll that will make or break the battle...but consider this, one persons bad luck is the opponents good fortune.

IMHO, a combat game that didn't consider "luck" (by luck we mean a randomizer) an important part of a battle is much more a "game" rather than something that gives you the real excitement of a battle "simulation". Think of all the real life battles where things didn't go according to plan or where smaller forces beat larger ones.

IMHO it's not even close to broke...so trying to fix it is not only moot, but probably a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames have a lot of luck and are built around it. Throwing more dice will win over throwing fewer dice, and positioning yourself to throw as many dice as possible relative to your opponent is the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When is FFG going to release info on upcoming expansions?
I thinks news are due.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Rossi
Italy
flag msg tools
I like a limited amount of randomness in games, they are more exciting, but a big amount could ruin a game. I've read the rules (I've not yet bought it) but it seems that luck plays an important rule, and tactics are behind. Is it a tactic game with a component of randomess or is it a luck-driven game with some elements of tactics?

Please help me understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
ilrossi wrote:
I like a limited amount of randomness in games, they are more exciting, but a big amount could ruin a game. I've read the rules (I've not yet bought it) but it seems that luck plays an important rule, and tactics are behind. Is it a tactic game with a component of randomess or is it a luck-driven game with some elements of tactics?

My experience, both with the first edition and this edition, is that tactics play a much stronger role than luck. There is a luck factor involved, and it can sometimes swing a battle, but more often than not, the one who chose the right army for the scenario, plays their cards well, and moves their units strategically will win much more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the right card at the right time is infinitely more impactful than drawing the right card at the right time. The role of luck is to prevent you from knowing the exact results of an assault or volley of arrows, not to make a worse strategy win over a better strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Rossi
Italy
flag msg tools
So you're saying that a wiseful use of the cards may mitigate the influence of bad rolls? If it's so I think I will buy it without regret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of this game and similar games, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone day they won or lost because of luck. Luck just makes the details hard to predict. I think you'll enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.