Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing the Printer's Studio (printerstudio.com) web site, as I do, and noticed they have a new size of custom cards of 63mmx88mm. It is available in all three media: smooth 300gsm paper, linen textured 310gsm paper, and plastic.

This is ever so slightly smaller than US Poker size of 2.5"x3.5" or 63.5mm x 88.9mm. This would only be an issue if you mix the two sizes, so now I'm wondering which games fall into which size a little more precisely.

Discuss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Isn't that the standard MTG size?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think MtG cards are 2.5" by 3.5" precisely, but I have none to measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about those recently while browsing the site, too. These should be the perfect size for all sorts of games, including CCG and LCG. Many deckbuilders like Thunderstone, too, for example. The poker sized cards that they already offer fit the same sleeves, but they are minimally different from those. Next time I order playing cards, I'll try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wieck
msg tools
The standard for Poker cards is different in US vs. Europe:

US Poker-Size 2.5” x 3.5”
European Poker-size 63mm x 88mm

(Alas if we'd only adopted metric in the US)
The size difference is very small, but enough to mark a card if you shuffle them together.

Magic cards were first printed by Belgian printer Carte Mundi and were done at the Euro size, not US size. Many trading card games followed suit. Today it's something of a mix of the two sizes in use for various games.

We print both sizes at DriveThruCards as well.

http://www.drivethrucards.com/joincards.php

Regards
Steve
DriveThruCards.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent information!

This would only matter if you're trying to make cards that match something you already have. Then you'd have the size match, but not necessarily the feel or finish. Still, it's interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Then you'd have the size match, but not necessarily the feel or finish.

To be honest, I think between their linen and smooth finishes, Printer's Studio matches pretty much 95% of the board games I own in terms of feel and finish. The only notable exception I can think of off-hand is Lords of Waterdeep, which has a more-genuine linen texture and frustratingly floppy cards. Most of my board-game cards are untextured, though, and several have that grid-like faux-linen that PS does.

I'd be more worried about colour-matching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the color and that curve. Every card from them has a slight warp. It's all the same so they're fine, but you put one next to, say, a Dominion card, and that Dominion card could be used as a reference plane. They are FLAT. (Not to mention larger in both dimensions by about 2mm.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Yes, the color and that curve. Every card from them has a slight warp.

Wow - I never noticed that! The only games I've had cards printed to match were games which were also originally printed by them, of course.

I guess if I were trying to get one or two cards to match an existing game, it'd be easy enough to take a steel straight-edge and trim along it with a scalpel to match, but there's no way I'd want to try that for a larger expansion/whatever...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james bruner
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you add a link to the printer studio thing? I'm not seeing the option on their website.
EDIT: found it, it's here if anyone's looking
http://www.printerstudio.com/personalized/custom_playing_car...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.