Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Waldron
United States
Skaneateles
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plaid Hat Podcast 136 reveals all eight pairings for Alliances.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/podcast/136

Cloaks/Sand Goblin
Vanguard/Vargath
Phoenix Elves/Fallen Kingdom
Filth/Cave Goblins
Deep Dwarves/Benders
Shadow Elves/Jungle Elves
Guild Dwarves/Tundra Orcs
Swamp Orcs/Mercs

Fun fun! I am very excited the potential that this new master set offers for the future of Summoner Wars. Keep it up guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I would have figured FK and the Filth to get chummy.

I like these pairings. Vanguard/Vargarth makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guild Dwarves & Tundra Orcs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The SE/JE just screams assassination deck, but looking most forward to CL/SG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Dwarves & Benders sounds eerie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They even revealed the names of the factions:

Fallen Phoenix
Cave Filth
Tundra Guild
Swamp Mercenaries
Vargath Vanguard
Sand Cloaks
Deep Benders
Jungle Shadows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long live the War of Summoners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
ETA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Waldron
United States
Skaneateles
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con 2014 hopefully with the usual caveats of production/shipping/etc. delays being possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Did they say anything about how this influences second summoner development? It would seem to me, like they're kinda slow with that and sales apparently are less then stellar. Looks like an another year before we see the whole "cycle" finishing and I'm somewhat unconfortable with some armies having more options than others :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Thanks. Did they say anything about how this influences second summoner development? It would seem to me, like they're kinda slow with that and sales apparently are less then stellar. Looks like an another year before we see the whole "cycle" finishing and I'm somewhat unconfortable with some armies having more options than others :/

One way or the other, this has always been part of the deal. When you compare the timeline of when the first four factions got their reinforcements and the Master Set factions and Filth got theirs, there was a longer than trivial period of time where said factions had more options than others.

Thankfully, PHG has done an excellent job in maintaining game balance and I don't worry that your valid concern will lead to any extreme or sizable power shift and I expect that all factions will remain viable in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to jump in on the Second Summoner sets...but I'm intrigued enough by them to be checking in here from time to time. Is there any speculation that these might at one point be released as a bundle at some point - something like a "Master Set II?"

I wouldn't want that to happen if it would anger any of the loyal fans who have bought all of them already (not sure if it would or not). I'd probably pick it up myself, though. Forgive me if it's an ignorant question and I've missed relevant news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be shocked if Colby and PHG decide to release any SS in a Master Set format.

It's a shame that a lot of people haven't tried the Second Summoners, they're pretty much all terrific. With the possible exception of Cloaks and Jungle Elves (two of my favorite First Summoners), I think the SS all are marked improvements over their predecessors.

I think marketing, packaging, and public perception all are partly to blame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
[q="rattkin"]

Thankfully, PHG has done an excellent job in maintaining game balance and I don't worry that your valid concern will lead to any extreme or sizable power shift and I expect that all factions will remain viable in the meantime.

Oh, I'm not concerned about balance, it's just a personal pet peeve / OCD of mine - I'd prefer to have them all available in a game like this. I'm ok with with this in LCG, but I still consider SW to be a traditional board game. Maybe others do too and apparently it influenced the perception of second summoners. Big box is the way to go and clearly Plaid Hat noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thenobleknave wrote:
I'd be shocked if Colby and PHG decide to release any SS in a Master Set format.

It's a shame that a lot of people haven't tried the Second Summoners, they're pretty much all terrific. With the possible exception of Cloaks and Jungle Elves (two of my favorite First Summoners), I think the SS all are marked improvements over their predecessors.

I think marketing, packaging, and public perception all are partly to blame.

Amen, brother. Second Summoners are the bomb.com. Everyone needs to get them.

I believe the plans are to still release the rest of the Second Summoners after Alliances, but probably still two by two like before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys; I will definitely take another look at the Second Summoners. I will also definitely have to educate myself now on these alliances...

While I was away teaching my daughter to play the IOS version, the actual board game community for SW has been busy apparently!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Waldron
United States
Skaneateles
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I spoke with Colby in March about it he said the plan is to make all of them just to do alliances in between the current batch and the rest. So I would keep an eye out for them after Alliances.
I also agree that the second summoners are very good with most introducing new styles of play and greatly enhancing the options for the game as a whole in a good way. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New to game.

What is this Alliances set? Just more factions, same gameplay?

What exactly are considered the second summoners factions? Do I need a base set to use these "second summoners?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game!

There are 3 main Summoner Wars products that Plaid Hat makes:Starter/Master sets, Reinforcement Packs, and Faction/Second Summoner sets.

Starter/Master Sets-These sets come with everything you need to play Summoner Wars ;a board, dice, wound markers, and at least 2 Summoner decks. The Master Set has 6 Summoner decks, and this upcoming Alliances set will come with 8.

Reinforcement Packs-These packs contain new units from two factions that you can use when deck building. These are not playable by themselves.

Faction/Second Summoner Decks-These decks contain a Summoner deck that can be played against any other Summoner deck right out of the box. As long as you have a board, dice, and wound markers, you can buy these decks and play them against other decks.

EDIT:Here are some links from the Plaid Hat Games website that can help you out. The first one details the differences between Second Summoners and First Summoners:http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/364

And this link is to a buyer's guide, detailing what each product is and what order you can buy them in: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/307
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Mighty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the posts and the links.

So will the 8 deck alliance set offer 8 new factions/decks the Master set doesnt have? We currently own the master set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty1 wrote:
Great! Thanks for the posts and the links.

So will the 8 deck alliance set offer 8 new factions/decks the Master set doesnt have? We currently own the master set.

8 brand new decks with brand new Summoners, Champions, Commons, Conjurations, and Events. Awesome stuff is in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read in the lore on the website the pairings make more sense. Especially fk/pe. The deck building possibilities with the new decks will be amazing. Gror the awesome guild dwarves champion with some from tundra orcs sounds like loads of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.