Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the recurring stores that pops up in the deals section is Amazon. I myself use it quite often to buy board games so I'm always excited to see the aforementioned deals show up. That said, I've seen multiple threads show up here that have "deals" that are either not exactly deals or have been at a low price tag for quite sometime.

To prevent this, I wanted to make a suggestion to all people considering making an Amazon related post: CamelCamelCamel ( http://www.camelcamelcamel.com ) is a website dedicated to tracking prices on Amazon over time. Basically, you either search for the item or throw the url in directly and it shows you various price statistics, including when the item was at it's lowest price versus what it is now.

It's been a huge help for me since Amazon's prices tend to fluctuate quite a bit on certain items. Moreover, it will be a help to those posting here to prevent "non-deal" deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J. Cummings
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Attn Amazon Deal Posters
A. I've been using the site for a while now myself, it's pretty darned useful (you can even check trends to "predict" when is the best time to buy something)

B. I came to this thread thinking there were cool posters on sale, and now I'm slightly disappointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Attn Amazon Deal Posters
vintageVerb wrote:
A. I've been using the site for a while now myself, it's pretty darned useful (you can even check trends to "predict" when is the best time to buy something)

B. I came to this thread thinking there were cool posters on sale, and now I'm slightly disappointed

Sorry! I'll update the title meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Just to note the irony, because you were annoyed that people posted Amazon non-deals in Hot Deals, you've posted this and triggered everyone's Hot Deals subscription alert with a non-deal.

That said, camelcamelcamel.com rocks and has found a lot of deals for me over the years, and even helped get some refunds after price drops. Not only can you check price history but also set a price watch.

The Camelizer Firefox addon is even better and more convenient than the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
Just to note the irony, because you were annoyed that people posted Amazon non-deals in Hot Deals, you've posted this and triggered everyone's Hot Deals subscription alert with a non-deal.

Sorry! I'll update... my life choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
attilathejund wrote:
To prevent this, I wanted to make a suggestion to all people considering making an Amazon related post: CamelCamelCamel ( http://www.camelcamelcamel.com ) is a website dedicated to tracking prices on Amazon over time.
Here is the conclusion I come to 90% of the time whilst perusing good ol' triple-camel:

"Huh... so I guess I should have bought this during the run-up to Xmas."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I'll be the first to say I appreciate your post and agree that many AMZN deals are being posted are not that great, or even if pretty good, in states that they charge tax in, make it not worthwhile even with prime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:

That said, camelcamelcamel.com rocks and has found a lot of deals for me over the years, and even helped get some refunds after price drops. Not only can you check price history but also set a price watch.

The Camelizer Firefox addon is even better and more convenient than the website.

great - now I have the camelizer in the lower half of my browser and can't close the pane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Sitka
AK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The price watch feature is pretty sweet. My Suburbia watch has never triggered, and may never at this rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
great - now I have the camelizer in the lower half of my browser and can't close the pane.

Hmmmm, I remember that happening in the past... try clicking the orange/brown camel button again to close the pane.

Try this setup instead:
Click Tools
Click Add Ons
Click Extensions
Change "Where do you want Camelizer to appear?" to "Address bar"

That's what mine is set for, and whenever an Amazon page loads, a little orange/brown camel button appears inside the address bar on the far right, and clicking it drops down a price history chart. If you're signed in to your camelcamelcamel account you can add price watches right there. Clicking outside that box makes it go away. I like it better than the pane, since it's smaller and easier to make disappear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Hmmmm, I remember that happening in the past... try clicking the orange/brown camel button again to close the pane.

Try this setup instead:
Click Tools
Click Add Ons
Click Extensions
Change "Where do you want Camelizer to appear?" to "Address bar"

That's what mine is set for, and whenever an Amazon page loads, a little orange/brown camel button appears inside the address bar on the far right, and clicking it drops down a price history chart. If you're signed in to your camelcamelcamel account you can add price watches right there. Clicking outside that box makes it go away. I like it better than the pane, since it's smaller and easier to make disappear.

retsarted my browser to kill it.

I will investigate using one of theother display options.

thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:

I read that as "caramelizer."

Now I'm hungry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbergen wrote:
OK I'll be the first to say I appreciate your post and agree that many AMZN deals are being posted are not that great, or even if pretty good, in states that they charge tax in, make it not worthwhile even with prime.

Often, if you look at the other seller options, you will find Prime/FSSD compatible sellers that don't charge the tax. "Sold by X, fulfilled by Amazon" etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
One of the recurring stores that pops up in the deals section is Amazon. I myself use it quite often to buy board games so I'm always excited to see the aforementioned deals show up. That said, I've seen multiple threads show up here that have "deals" that are either not exactly deals or have been at a low price tag for quite sometime.

To prevent this, I wanted to make a suggestion to all people considering making an Amazon related post: CamelCamelCamel ( http://www.camelcamelcamel.com ) is a website dedicated to tracking prices on Amazon over time. Basically, you either search for the item or throw the url in directly and it shows you various price statistics, including when the item was at it's lowest price versus what it is now.

It's been a huge help for me since Amazon's prices tend to fluctuate quite a bit on certain items. Moreover, it will be a help to those posting here to prevent "non-deal" deals.

While I don't totally disagree with the sentiment of your post, why is it any different than posting the daily deals or recurring sales from board game sites (or other related sites), which are typically found in the site's newsletters, making them arguably more public knowledge than personalized camelcamelcamel alerts (which are amazing, by the way). This happens all the time with CSI, MM, Tanga, Artscow, etc.

Unfortunately, I think "hot deals" is ultimately subjective, so a deal about a game being a few cents off the everyday Amazon price is not exactly exciting to most, others may find the redundant daily deal posts just as much a distraction from the "real" hot deals.

Personally, I don't mind clicking a few dud deals to get to the good stuff. In fact, it's just another way I discover new games and new ways to geek out over board games (it's here that I discovered how people are customizing games.)

Granted, I'm new blood around these parts, so maybe it'll start to annoy me at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyers
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to think that my subscription gets triggered more by comments of people complaining something isn't a hot deal followed by 3 comments of people thanking poster for posting it because they do think it is a hot deal than by actual new threads.

With as many members as this site has there are always going to be people who don't agree with a deal. As long as people put the MM/CSI prices in the post so I can see them I don't really mind clicking ignore once on something that I don't think is hot enough to pull the trigger on.

If it really was not a hot deal it just seems like it would go away faster if everyone ignores it than spending time arguing about it and continuously triggering subscriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I never intended this thread to be accusatory or inquisitive of what a "hot deal" actually is. In fact, there are 100s of those already. I personally don't mind either way.

However, I do think the website is a super useful tool and knowing about it just might prevent some people from wasting their time, both in posting a deal and the inevitable retort from the naysayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The comments on the various Amazon deal posts appear to disagree with your personal preference. I hope that no one is bullied into stopping posting Amazon deals, because I love them. On the other hand, I'm endlessly annoyed by posts about CSI "deals" because not once have they turned out to be a deal unless I was to purchase another $80 in product. For whatever bizarre reason they don't draw the same ire as the Amazon posts that are incredibly valuable to anyone with Prime or when the game exceeds the Free Super Saver Shipping threshold. At the end of the day I don't understand complaining about either because (as many have pointed out) how hard is it to not click on a deal with a retailer you don't prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Harrison
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
On the other hand, I'm endlessly annoyed by posts about CSI "deals" because not once have they turned out to be a deal unless I was to purchase another $80 in product. For whatever bizarre reason they don't draw the same ire as the Amazon posts that are incredibly valuable to anyone with Prime or when the game exceeds the Free Super Saver Shipping threshold.

That could be that a lot of people who like CSI "deals" have CSI add the game to held order. They just keep adding things to said order and then close the order when it has $100 of games in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exharrison wrote:
That could be that a lot of people who like CSI "deals" have CSI add the game to held order. They just keep adding things to said order and then close the order when it has $100 of games in it.

The problem being CSI is moving towards limiting only one deal of the day being in an order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
exharrison wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
On the other hand, I'm endlessly annoyed by posts about CSI "deals" because not once have they turned out to be a deal unless I was to purchase another $80 in product. For whatever bizarre reason they don't draw the same ire as the Amazon posts that are incredibly valuable to anyone with Prime or when the game exceeds the Free Super Saver Shipping threshold.

Ah...I have seen that mentioned but didn't realize it was common practice for the business. Still doesn't fit my buying patterns (I'm a crow and I want my shiny thing NOW), but thanks for the details!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
The comments on the various Amazon deal posts appear to disagree with your personal preference. I hope that no one is bullied into stopping posting Amazon deals, because I love them. On the other hand, I'm endlessly annoyed by posts about CSI "deals" because not once have they turned out to be a deal unless I was to purchase another $80 in product. For whatever bizarre reason they don't draw the same ire as the Amazon posts that are incredibly valuable to anyone with Prime or when the game exceeds the Free Super Saver Shipping threshold. At the end of the day I don't understand complaining about either because (as many have pointed out) how hard is it to not click on a deal with a retailer you don't prefer?

I too am endlessly annoyed by CSI daily deals! I hate when they post games that are 10-20 dollars less than anywhere else in the entire world! GRRRRRR!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Harrison
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:
exharrison wrote:

The problem being CSI is moving towards limiting only one deal of the day being in an order.

Really?? I can't say I necessarily blame them for that move. I didn't realize they were doing that though. When did they start? (You can tell I've been avoiding spur of the moment purchasing lately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I'm a crow and I want my shiny thing NOW
And if the shiny things stick to you, you're a Velcro!

(Sorry, I just couldn't resistdevil)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exharrison wrote:
matthean wrote:
exharrison wrote:

Really?? I can't say I necessarily blame them for that move. I didn't realize they were doing that though. When did they start? (You can tell I've been avoiding spur of the moment purchasing lately)

It is a recent change within the past coupe of months. I know I had no issue with an order in December, but they might have changed it in the new year. I just don't see why a company would hold an order for months while a person adds on items near to at cost prices.

FYI, CSI isn't the cheapest place for regular prices if shipping is free anyway. In some cases, not even factoring in member rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Harrison
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:

It is a recent change within the past coupe of months. I know I had no issue with an order in December, but they might have changed it in the new year. I just don't see why a company would hold an order for months while a person adds on items near to at cost prices.

FYI, CSI isn't the cheapest place for regular prices if shipping is free anyway. In some cases, not even factoring in member rewards.

This is exactly why I'm not surprised they are doing that. I mean, if you aren't making a good profit, but you are allowing someone to take up space and make something not sellable, you aren't really gaining much. Plus you wind up eating the shipping, which cuts into the slim profit you were making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.