Subject: Shortening the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be picking up this game, as part of the AtS Kickstarter, to play as a family game. Theme wise it looks great. However, I'm a bit worried by some of the comments as to game length - well over 2 hours with more than 3 hours mentioned quite a few times! My family don't have such staying power!

I was just wondering if anyone had successfully tried shortening the game significantly in any way and if so how - or whether shortening the game simply destroys the balance of the game?

For example:
- provide more starting money (or a fixed amount at the start of each round) but then limit the number of turns/actions accordingly
- running the game over two seasons (rather than three)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played it over two nights before (leaving it set out). That's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Grant says, leaving it set up overnight is a good option ( we have also done this) .
It's a brilliant game Gary , lots of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies - theme-wise it looks great - however, I confess I'm having second thoughts the more I think about the length of the game.... but the Kickstarter seems such a good opportunity to pick it up... decisions, decisions....!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid out the nose for it (but have every promo, and the score trackers [which are super helpful]), so while the KS doesn't have everything, it's definitely a great deal for the add-on.

I will admit that the game can feel a tad tedious at times, but if you immerse yourself in the theme, we always have fun playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander K
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big question is how much your family (players) are focused on winning
If much, then there is a lot of counting behind each possible move, which imo is making the game so long sometimes.

If you focus more on the fun and theme than I am sure you will make it shorter!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first 4-5 games might take a while, but after that, once you know the game, it plays much faster. We usually finish within 60-90 minutes.

It's an awesome game imo and one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I left it in my Kickstarter pledge for Among the Stars so I will be getting it sometime later this year to give it a try.

Thanks for all the replies - even if everyone essentially confirmed it couldn't be shortened playwise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.