Popular Tags: [View All]
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night on the last tile of the first act of No Rest for the Weary, we decided to go with a chapter quest and got the Tactical one. Which is by far my favorite CQ in the game. To make it interesting we also added a grubber lair. We also had the Just Okay Hunt fighter on the tile with a hunting pack of Grubbers.

So we are handling this tile fairly easily when we get a Deadly spawn, which is spawn 2 captains, during the 2nd Hero cycle. We only had one of the Orcs from the hunting pack left and there was only 2 AP left before the next darkness cycle. I need hit points so I Leached one of the captains for two points of damage.

Everyone else was tapped out and I had one of my ranged attack card left. We decided that it would be better to save the fighter than finish off a Captain so we wouldn't lose any blue tokens. So I hit the Grubber and then the Darkness cycle hit. We got the "If there are two captains of the same monster type convert one of them into a Mini-boss."

It got crazy after that, we were able to put down the mini boss but dang. I like the fact that decisions you make can have so much impact on the game. It isn't always like this but these kinds of elements in a game really make it shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Cool stuff

However, not to rain on your parade, but the quest "Get Tactical" is a Slaughterfield quest in which you wouldnt have a lair and hunting packs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
Cool stuff

However, not to rain on your parade, but the quest "Get Tactical" is a Slaughterfield quest in which you wouldnt have a lair and hunting packs...

I keep forgetting that because it just has a symbol next to the card. I wish it had some of the setup for slaughterfield on the card as a reminder.

Oh well, it was challenging and fun. Two of the three fighters died so it made it interesting. We house ruled it that all enemies try to engage and attack the fighters before one of the heroes. The miniboss killed both of them I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels bizarre to draw Chapter quests when playing an Act quest, and it's completely insane in terms of narrative to do so when you're doing a Story quest.

Sometimes I just don't get what they were aiming at with the quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:
It feels bizarre to draw Chapter quests when playing an Act quest, and it's completely insane in terms of narrative to do so when you're doing a Story quest.

I like to think of them as flash backs like for the quests such as save my daughter or the just okay hunter. Like you just remembered that is what you are supposed to be doing.

As for the poison cure guy and Get Tactical, they make perfect sense. That is my opinion anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Marcus the Ready wrote:

Chapter quests are like side quests thematically.

The faq does say that chapter quests are optional in story quests. Presumably because there often already is a "Quest effect" in play.

Likewise, with Act quests, I would treat chapter quests as optional on tiles where the Act Quest is adding stuff or an effect to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
Chapter quests are like side quests thematically.

That's the concept, but in actual play they interrupt the narrative, and interrupt the flow of the actual play because you're focusing on the Act or Story goal. There are already things going on and you don't need the distractions; it makes it feel very messy.

Typical Myth really - great concepts with muddled execution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Reubens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter Quests should have been called Events and should have been set up differently. I like the way some of them mix things up a bit but the narrative does get muddled. If instead they just changed the make up of the tile a bit or added some minor complication then I think they would be better over all. Basically a way that you have a different story each time you play... but then... the whole "do whatever you want, it's your game!" mumbo jumbo comes in and the conversation ends...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thaos52002 wrote:
Chapter Quests should have been called Events and should have been set up differently. I like the way some of them mix things up a bit but the narrative does get muddled. If instead they just changed the make up of the tile a bit or added some minor complication then I think they would be better over all. Basically a way that you have a different story each time you play... but then... the whole "do whatever you want, it's your game!" mumbo jumbo comes in and the conversation ends...

Yes, the concept is sound, but it needs a great deal of work to get it to fit smoothly. Which includes rewriting some of the quests.

There IS a good game in here somewhere, but the only way to get to it is to take the cool-looking cards and minis and make your own version of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.