3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: New Biomedical Game Design Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Chandross
Canada
flag msg tools

One of the time tested mechanics I use in medical education is action card starvation. I will describe how it is being used in a recent iteration. The key is to simulate a real world medical condition, restrict the player to a limited number of actions, then regulate action card distribution, providing some decision branch points. All games must satisfy certain criteria. a. learned very fast, b. played in less than an hour, c. must ensure content delivery for certification. The majority of my work is simulation-driven, I impose a game environment on a real world clinical scenario. This can be implemented as an entire course, module or class. The rule sets are modified to suit the application.

In this case, I developed a mechanic that can be used to teach a variety of acute care content for staff working with seniors in long term care. The mechanism is relatively simple and is played in less than an hour, using time as a pressure system. It can be played solo or in teams. The player or team begins the game with action cards, these are used to either request one piece of data, or perform an intervention. The number of data bits or intervention steps are limited by the available action cards. I use board games for biomedical science for the same reason the US Forces use them each week now, the rule set and scenarios can be modified quickly so that simulations can be run with cascading outcomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Welcome!

These words are entirely too big for me to be reading before noon. Forgive me if I missed a few things.

BUT, gamification is something:
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

does a lot of coursework/teaching on, and it might be worthwhile to look at his profile and website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chandross
Canada
flag msg tools
I have communicated with Scott. We may cross paths in one of his sojourns to Canada. What is interesting about educational game design is that there are a multiplicity of philosophies on design and execution.

My background is through simulation-based learning and has its own unique spin arising from a 3 year research project that involved 14 universities across Canada. I used these data when designing. Problem based learning is a medical education model developed in Canada and has driven much curriculum design. I would summarize my work as the evolution of problem based learning.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.